IGNORED

HSC16 Round 4: Zylon's Mixed Bag

Zylon's Mixed Bag

of classic gaming goodness

For round four we will play a selection of lesser known games from Zylon's picks. I've picked 6 games that have that classic style; atarimania has them rated between 5 and 6 so they should all have their merits and probably not take that long to play.

The round will close on Sunday 31st March 10am UK time (yes I found my calendar this time) but we can extend it if needed. Play as many as you wish ;-)

Alpha Shield

alpha_shield.gif

fandal

atarimania

Carnival

Has instructions in game!

carnival_jeff_casbeer.gif

fandal

atarimania

Crab Nebula

crab_nebula_2.gif

fandal

atarimania

Escape

Zylon let me know if this is the right game? Looks like this one is by atariage's rybags!

escape_3.gif

fandal

Use BAS file from atarimania

Collision Course

collision_course_5.gif

fandal

atarmania

Caverns of Callisto

by Chuckles - shout out to Ultima III fans :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Press [space] to start game. Press [space] when it says game over to restart otherwise will load the intro screens! needs disk in R/W to play - saves high scores. [Esc]=pause.

Turns out there is more to this game: there are 5 levels, so it is the "big game" of the round. graywest found a great web site Pix's Origin Adventures which has the full low-down - click on the brown "Enter Here" picture to download a PDF with the instructions. See discussion on posts #52 and #53 have more info, basically collect the 8 ship's parts and the key (or ion drive) and find the secret wall on each level?

caverns_of_callisto.gif

fandal

atarimania

Edited by therealbountybob
Caverns of Callisto - great web site link added
  • Like 3

First attempts:

Alpha Shield 13050 23.125

Carnival 900

Caverns of Callisto 500 (wow, this is twitchy, collisions kill me all the time)

Collision Course 1220 (review in Atarimania seems to be spot on, although right to left direction is rather unique)

Crab Nebula 2590 3230

Escape 93 Stage 11

slxjr scored 16.325 on Alpha Shield

• Like 1

TRBB- Yep, they're all the right games. Most are my simple quickie games I might play at work.

Except maybe Caverns of Callisto. The one I play only says Callisto and is a horizontal shooter. Couldn't say for sure until I saw a screenshot, but the screen y'all show never appears on mine.

Edited by zylon

Caverns of Callisto

by Chuckes - shout out to Ultima III fans :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Poor Chuckles, getting called "Chuckes." When I was playing (or, well, trying to play) Ultima III without instructions, I always wondered who this Chuckles person was and why he had that name. It wasn't until much later that I discovered his real name: Chuck Bueche. He made quite a few games for the Atari computer.

Adam

• Like 1

TRBB- Yep, they're all the right games. Most are my simple quickie games I might play at work.

That's great, your other selections will go into the regular polls at some point. Of course you now get another 6 picks to "top up your ten" so there might even be Mixed Bag II the sequel later in the season :-D

Poor Chuckles, getting called "Chuckes." When I was playing (or, well, trying to play) Ultima III without instructions, I always wondered who this Chuckles person was and why he had that name. It wasn't until much later that I discovered his real name: Chuck Bueche. He made quite a few games for the Atari computer.

Adam

I could secretly edit the L in, or pretend I know him and Chukes is a tem of endearment. I too played Ultima III wityout instructions... (though I now have the proper box and have framed the material map which is on my wall here in the HSC HQ (dining room)... and that's why It has so much love, my characters are still in limbo and need to finish that final castle bit :-o

OK Looks like this round is up and running, have fun everyone, I might put a disk together with the games on (ones that have file versions at least) :)

Alpha Shield - 57075 pts

Carnival - 2800 pts

Collision Course - 18380 pts

Crab Nebula - 3900 pts

I failed to get Escape to load, and Caverns of Callisto only seems to respond to fire button in port #1, and nothing in port #2. Is it controlled with paddles or something similar?

post-5454-0-69064500-1552245645.jpg

post-5454-0-01441500-1552245647.jpg

post-5454-0-85296000-1552245643.jpg

post-5454-0-37861500-1552245648.jpg

• Like 1

Haven't played all of the games yet, but here are a few scores. I'm a big fan of Alpha Shield, having played it quite a bit on the 2600 as Spacemaster X-7. This 8-bit version seems identical, actually.

Crab Nebula: 6,020

Collision Course: 24,780

Alpha Shield: 101,025

post-6856-0-75014500-1552268031.jpg

post-6856-0-53220900-1552268021.jpg

post-6856-0-46135800-1552268006.jpg

• Like 2

Alpha Shield - 57075 pts

Carnival - 2800 pts

Collision Course - 18380 pts

Crab Nebula - 3900 pts

I failed to get Escape to load, and Caverns of Callisto only seems to respond to fire button in port #1, and nothing in port #2. Is it controlled with paddles or something similar?

Can't tell until I actually see a screenshot of the Callisto y'all are playing. Mine just says Callisto.

We're trying the one TRBB pointed to, Caverns of Callisto.

I noticed that TMR released a completely different game in 2012, though I suppose that is not the one you had in mind?

Edit: Though you write "horizontal shooter" above, which makes me wonder if you mean TMR's modern homebrew game after all?

Edited by carlsson

Can't tell until I actually see a screenshot of the Callisto y'all are playing. Mine just says Callisto.

I noticed that TMR released a completely different game in 2012, though I suppose that is not the one you had in mind?

Edit: Though you write "horizontal shooter" above, which makes me wonder if you mean TMR's modern homebrew game after all?

I did wonder about this but figured TMR's Callisto was too new looking at Zylon's other picks - so shall we play Caverns of Callisto and we can save TMR's (excellent) Callisto for another round unless there is another Callisto of course?

Yep, I'd been playing the TMR game all this time then. Either way, it's good :) Plays like a combination of Super Cobra and R-Type.

• Like 1

Alpha Shield... first try... not much, but 16050 points.

No screenshot, since it is such a low score. I will try more. Not much time these days unfortunately. Alpha Shield looks like a nice game.

Screenshots are optional so that will save you some time, remember we have 3 weeks for this round ;-)

Perhaps an all-moon round with Callisto (H-Scroll), Titan (V-Scroll) and Phobos (V-Scroll). If we would want a fourth, add Deimos (Platform).

That's a great idea for later in the season :thumbsup:

so it is agreed, well I have agreed that we will play Caverns of Callisto this time as billed, and save TMR's Callisto for later, don't make Chuckles angry... you wouldn't like him when he is angry :P

• Like 1