IGNORED

Japanese FZ-1: Turn 110V into 230V

Hey guys,

I have my eye on a Japanese FZ-1 system. I'd be able to get it for quite a good price, but before I purchase I would like to know if it is possible to avoid an external step down convertor (I'm European) by replacing the build in 110V/60Hz to 15V AC step down transformer with one that follows the specs for my location. Something like a 30VA 230V/50-60Hz to 15V transformer? Or am I thinking to easy about this?

Anyone know of an example where someone has made this work?

Thanks!

It is possible of course. Now you have to know a bit about soldering, and know what the 3DO power supply do - mostly, it's important to know how it's made (separate step down transformer and filtering PCB or a complete unit).

If there is a separate block then you just have to know what goes out of it; apparently 15V, but AC or DC?

If there is a whole filtering process then it's important to get the same stable power output as the console will expect a "clean" power.

Thanks for replying. Soldering is not a big deal, I've modded many consoles so far. I just don't know enough about power supplies... What I do know is that it has a separate step down transformer that outputs 15V AC. Here is a link to the schematics of the power supply.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_id=524629

These 15V AC are taken into a circuit to output 5V and 9V DC. Seems to me that as long as I feed 15V AC into that circuit I should be fine? I have found some transformers that can do this, although I am not certain if 50Hz/60Hz will be a problem. When I receive the console I'd have to measure a bit to see if one of them physically fits but before that I want to be very sure that what I'm trying won't damage the console in any way...

Sounds about right. The FZ-1 PSU is integrated into the main PCB and is fairly generic. The only main difference is the transformer (and a common ground connection in NTSC models). Some models have fans and some don't, the connections are still there to add a fan. I have a PAL FZ-1 which has a 230V transformer and outputs ~16VAC. This is fed to a bridge rectifier and corresponding 9V and 5V regulators which can between 10V and 30V. The service manual shows an expected 20VP-P on the transformer output but my DMM only shows 16VAC. This transformer looks like a possible candidate https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/VPS20-2200?qs=1a1zv8L%252Bh%2F2tr%252BOTTBfGVQ==

Just be sure to research as much as possible on power supply electronics, this is mains voltages and things can easily get toasty with wrong application.

Panasonic_FZ-1(Service_Manual).pdf

• Like 1

Sounds about right. The FZ-1 PSU is integrated into the main PCB and is fairly generic. The only main difference is the transformer (and a common ground connection in NTSC models). Some models have fans and some don't, the connections are still there to add a fan. I have a PAL FZ-1 which has a 230V transformer and outputs ~16VAC. This is fed to a bridge rectifier and corresponding 9V and 5V regulators which can between 10V and 30V. The service manual shows an expected 20VP-P on the transformer output but my DMM only shows 16VAC. This transformer looks like a possible candidate https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/VPS20-2200?qs=1a1zv8L%252Bh%2F2tr%252BOTTBfGVQ==

Just be sure to research as much as possible on power supply electronics, this is mains voltages and things can easily get toasty with wrong application.

Thanks a lot for this!

I tried finding a transformer that has an output a bit closer to what specs say (15VAC) and I hit a bit of a wall here. The 3do states 30W on the bottom, and I'm not quite certain how many VA to go for. I'm assuming up from that number, so I tried looking around the 35-45VA with a 230VAC input and a 15VAC output. The thing is... I seem to find models with either 20 VA or 50 VA. The 20VA models would all fit really nicely as they have the correct dimensions. I am just worried that they will not have the power requirements needed? When I bump it up to 50VA the dimensions are not correct and the transformer would not fit.

Any advice what would be safe to use as a transformer capacity?

Nice find, I didn't see that one. In regards to VA, it depends on the power factor of the psu. Unless the power factor is 1, you will want some VA overhead. Maybe 35-45VA to be safe.

As for output, don't worry too much about getting exactly 15VAC, that was just a DMM reading. The voltage regulators will accept 10-30V.

I measured the transformer in my 3DO, the transformer u linked has the right dimensions. The one I linked is too tall by 1" :-( Just a shame about the VA. 30 VA might be enough.

I ordered it! They ship for free and it arrives here on wednesday. Not bad for an order from the US to EU...

As I see now... this transformer does state 16VDC as output... I don't really know if I should route DC through C4, C3 and L1 to the rectifier (can it hurt?) or if I should just bypass that. Easiest option is to leave everything as it is.

Edit: I just see the specs certify it as 16V CT, while mousers says 16VDC CT... We'll see I guess :P

Edited by Unstablewarpfield

Yes I saw that typo. Datasheet rates it as 16V CT (centre tapped). It will still be AC voltage until it exits the bridge rectifier. Attach everything as normal.

Good luck with the install. Any questions, feel free to post or PM me.

Fantastic. This makes me realise why forums like this are so valuable. Thanks again! I'll report back next week when the install is done!

• 2 weeks later...

Allright... I finally did the install (thought I had all parts covered but I forgot the jst terminal connector). It has been running for hours and the only thing I notice is some heat on the top of the case towards the power button. It's not excessive so I'm hoping this is normal. Until now... pretty happy with the result. On to a decent rgb mod now :-)

Great work. I'm not sure how hot my FZ-1 gets but the voltage regulator heat plate is big and the area still gets very hot which is why the power caps have a high failure rate. I'll check the temp of my regulators with my k-probe when I get a chance. I would recommend a cap replacement if you want to extend the life of your console. Console5 do quality cap kits (105c rated).

As for RGB mods, there are a couple around. I'm working on a RGB_V2 which should be finished soon.

• 2 months later...

Allright... I finally did the install (thought I had all parts covered but I forgot the jst terminal connector). It has been running for hours and the only thing I notice is some heat on the top of the case towards the power button. It's not excessive so I'm hoping this is normal. Until now... pretty happy with the result. On to a decent rgb mod now :-)

Hi Unstablewarpfield

Im about to do the same and replace transformer in my Japanese 3DO - would you be able to advise on the wiring, or if at all possible, be able to show me some photos of how you wired it.

I just want to make absolutely sure !!

Thanks in advance.

Simon

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of a necro-post, sorry for that. But seeing as I have the same issue, and not keen on a stepdown converter, I was looking into this. But instead of replacing the transformer wouldn't it be easier to use an external 15V or 12V PSU and run that into the connector pins for the transformer? Polarity wouldn't matter as it's ran through a rectifier anyway.

It would also be cheaper than getting a FD6-16 and much less of a hassle to install to make it look good.