IGNORED

Recommended controllers for Mega SG

Bod2019

Ive pre-ordered a pair of the new Sega licenced retro bit controllers. They won't appear until the end of April according to Amazon.

So given the imminent arrival of the Mega SG, can anyone recommend controllers to fill the interim, Amazon has a couple of cheap options available, I'm not convinced though.

I'm UK based, and was hoping to get a quick turn around in delivery so I can fire up the Mega SG

Thanks in advance.

If you're keen on a wired controller then you might just want to take a peek on eBay for an official Mega Drive controller. They're not difficult to find in nice condition these days and aren't very expensive either, plus Sega really built them to stand the test of time. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up picking up a pair of Afunta 6 button pads for £8.99. next day delivery from Amazon, should come tomorrow ready for the mega sg.

I'm expecting them to be rubbish, but they'll do until I get a decent pair.

Seems I could only get the Hyperkins delivered from the US. Which defeated the object of picking something up quickly. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I don't think you'll like those. They're similar to the old Retro-Bit controllers (not the newer Sega-licensed ones) where the D-pad will bottom out at the center and press all four directions at once. It might tide you over but you're throwing good money after bad because they're cheap junk.

I know they'll be poor, but for the cost of lunch and a coffee I figured it was worth a punt, literally just so I had something to use today when the console arrives.

I would of got the Hyperkins if they were more readily available in my area.

I know they'll be poor, but for the cost of lunch and a coffee I figured it was worth a punt, literally just so I had something to use today when the console arrives.

I would of got the Hyperkins if they were more readily available in my area.

Do you not have any shops in your area that specialize in retro gaming? I've got nearly a half dozen in my town along I can pick from during the week. Nearly all of them will have a 3rd party option available, but most of them will also carry used, decent 1st party original controllers. Most of they time they are prices at about $4.99 - $9.99 each.

Do you not have any shops in your area that specialize in retro gaming? I've got nearly a half dozen in my town along I can pick from during the week. Nearly all of them will have a 3rd party option available, but most of them will also carry used, decent 1st party original controllers. Most of they time they are prices at about $4.99 - $9.99 each.

Not where I am in the UK. Plus work and family life make it difficult to fit much else in. As it stands the console is yet to be delivered and my wife isn't going to wait in any longer today, so could be a missed delivery anyway, bah

I know you're sold on wired, and so was I, but the new 8bitdo Genesis M30 controllers are, I kid you not, the most amazing retro controller -past or present- I've ever used. Amazing D pad, switchable 3/6 button config, turbo, and an amazingly great feeling, heft, and quality. For $25.

I bought 3 and use them on everything. Way better than any wired stick/controller I have.

That said, if you want wired but new, the Hyperkin controllers are pretty decent.

For original era, I'm very fond of the Asciiware Power Clutch joysticks. 3 button, but man, they are great arcade sticks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up that Amazon has the Retro-Bit Sega Genesis 6-button controllers back in stock as of the time of this post: https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Official-Genesis-Controller-6-Button-Arcade/dp/B07P255V8J/

Everyone I've talked to who's tried them says they're nearly flawless recreations of the original official 6-button Genesis controllers and work beautifully, plus they're only $15 each and officially licensed by Sega. They sound like the best option for a brand new wired Genesis controller so I just ordered two of them and I'll be sure to provide my thoughts on them once they arrive in the mail.

I've already got an official 6-button Genesis controller from back in the day that I bought brand new on eBay and just unboxed a few months ago, so I'll have an original controller in like-new condition to compare them to. :)

• Like 2

I bought a USB and a DE-9 Genesis Retro-Bit controller, and they are both amazing. Because I wanted variety, I opted to go original black for the USB, and clear blue for the DE-9 controller. They are definitely solid, and to add to Jin's point, they feel almost exactly like the original six-button controllers I have. I have to wonder if someone at Retro-Bit has some slight nostalgia for the battery powered Sega Radica plug-n-plays like I do seeing how the Vol. 1 device has a clear blue plastic controller as well (though that one had a three-button Genesis controller).

• 4 weeks later...

Get the Retro-Bit Sega Genesis 6-button controllers, they are AWESOME! I have 2 I got when I received my Mega SG and it is the best experience playing them! I have original 6 button controllers also, and the Retro Bits are identical in look, feel and gameplay!!