IGNORED

Huff huff, breathe, breathe.....breathe.

Video

Sorry, that was stupid, but, I got a switch now. Didn't have a lot of games, and haven't played most yet, but cool so far.

I already had skyrim, doom, Mario odyssey? And crash um, trilogy.

Bought pokemon evo, Minecraft (yes I need help :D :x ) and the one game that was like "Gotta have it, gotta have it NOW" new super Mario bros u. U? Really? Oh well, I don't have it for Wii u so...

Anyhow, yeah after leaving the store $400~ish lighter, charging it and setting it up, I had a blast playing mario. But that's mario, so I knew I'd love that one, and like I said, I've not got it for Wii u somehow, so it's new to me.

Minecraft is minecraft, so there went a lot of free time, lol.

Then there's pokemon. I heard it's basically red/ blue, but...WTF?! It is basically (the map from) red/blue, but uh... The one thing that made this simple old game is it's uber basic rock paper scissors play style, so they took that out? Anyhow, it looks nice, but it's unlikely I'd ever play that one again.

Anyways, questions/comments.

How big of memory card does this take? I got a 128 on it, unless something hogs the carp out of it I doubt I'll need a bigger one, but still nice to know.

Card (game) reading seems buggy, I think all have initially failed to read at least once. I think that flabby rubber thing is in the way of something, also, what's the deal with the ridiculous cover for the sd cards?

The box, cradle thing is neat, drop the thing in and it charges itself, but is there a way to plug extra controllers in? I don't have one yet, but the system included nothing to plug them in with, so the system has to charge them, I guess.

What is the chance of games actually working with the pro controller? I'd like one, but after the two games I have on Wii that worked with it (out of two dozen or so) and zero in Wii u (out of a dozen) I just thought it would be safe to skip for now.

This thing is huge, at the top end of what I'd still consider portable, before becoming unwieldy, I mean, my kindle is 7" too but you really don't know till you hold it. The slot loading controller is interesting, don't know about longevity, but outside of feeling it should be rather flimsy, it doesn't really feel it, and other than lacking stick clicks, it feels more of less normal to use. Might be better with that controller mount thing included, but no real problem with it attached to the system, which is good, as I'll likely use it primarily as a portable. In fact, I haven't actually hooked it to a tv yet lol.

Anyways, so far I like the system, I'll pick up more games pretty quick, but what I got should occupy time for a while. I'll wait for the weekend to start doom or skyrim, because I expect to lose track of time hardcore on those. I played the help out of skyrim for 360, but never finished it due to take breaking bugs in every main mission, here's hoping that's fixed, being 5 years old, it should be. I've never played doom, but I loved the series sofar.

One more, due to paranoia, or whatever, I did buy a case, one of the Amazon vault cases, it kicks ass. I was expecting it to be cheap, due to, well, it was cheap, but it's actually quite nice with its hard shell and form fit foam rubber liner. It even holds all my games for now, but that's about it, nicer than the ones I've seen locally, though no room for extra controllers or other stuff.

Dude you need to go back to Pokemon, you got it partly wrong there.

It's Pokemon Yellow remastered with Go phone assets but only while in the TALL GRASS. The trainer in the wild fights, Team Rocket Jessie/James etc fights, Gym battles with sub-trainers and leader they're all classic original Yellow style fights. The only big difference is wasting far less time piddling in the grass to battle stuff, it's just streamlined and gives the XP still on capture so you can handle those plentiful real battles against the NPCs/Trainers in the game. It's actually a whole lot of fun.

The memcard it can take I think was like 4TB or some ridiculous size that doesn't even exist. I don't buy but rarely anything digital and I've got a 128GB card that has little used of it, so you'll likely be fine as almost all games released work right out of the box, it's not the Sony/MS beta release with massive GB patch fixes to make it right situation here. The few that tried that (EA/2K) got shamed hard and got trolled and blasted by consumers and media alike for that scumbag tactic.

The Pro controller for the system itself is excellent, there's no IF, unless you meant the WiiU one? It's worth it, even if the price sucks, find a gently used second hand one like I did and it'll come down like 10-20+ off retail easy.

I had no issue with the controller itself on wii/wiiu, just that despite people's love for it, it just seemed to support almost nothing. I could see with the u, that dangt screen screwed with most of them. Since the switch seems more straightforward in the controller department, I'm just hoping for more, or most games being supported.

Should have mentioned the switch apparently can't read memory cards at all out of the box, it wanted an update before reading it, but I figured I needed some anyways and was part of my setup. I might not even known if I'd waited before putting in a card, but it wasn't an issue. Maybe it'll read smaller ones out the box (the 2-32gb models are a different format from the 64+ size ones, iirc) just a heads up to anyone starting out, it might read the smaller ones, but wants an update for the 128 and I assume larger ones.I

Never played pokemon go, but I had a suspicion it was based off a phone type game, other then graphically, I'd say it might be fine for a cheap or free Android game, but at $60 I was just like "hell no" I killed my order for the other game and cancelled the pre-order for sword/shield, at least till I know if it's more traditional style. I like the capture mechanic, but without being able to just kill the unwanted ones, I think ended up with like 50 beansprouts before my battery died, and I'd already lost interest in it at that point.

So, what else to get? Another controller for sure, and the dedicated charger for them, in case I want to play with friends. I kind of want smash bros, but the 3ds version seems to have axed the campaign mode, and that's what I liked (well on the 64/cube versions) I passed on wolfenstien as apparently it's one of those games that doesn't play single player without updating.

Well your loss, Pokemon isn't as Go as it's made out to be other than just the farming in the tall grass parts, otherwise it's normal still. Sword/Shield I'm pretty sure Nintendo said wasn't Go style because it's literally the next generation of Pokemon games continuing in the style last seen with Ultra Sun/Moon on the 3DS and they were clear it was the next generation of that style while saying little else.

I would suggest getting Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee but second hand as it can easily be had for between $30-40 shipped on ebay instead of $60. I wouldn't blame you if you did that, but I wouldn't blow it off as just Switch based Go as it's not. The tall grass area is just Go streamlined so it wastes a bit less time is all. Also no random encounters, it adopts the 3DS style of stuff walking around on the ground so you can see what's coming to fight you.

Smash I'd avoid too (and I did) because it's just more online centric trash first, they really have been minimaizing the piss out of the single player efforts post Gamecube so that franchise I monitor but is otherwise dead to me. Wolfenstein is crap, they put only part of the game o there, a large chunk to waste on a download, so that's your update for single player to save a buck. I figured if I ever get the desire I'll get it on Steam, heavily discounted, just because of that alone. I wanted it bad, they did that, I wrote it off. Doom was all there though it had a MP download which I don't play, and Doom Eternal supposedly is the same and hopefully stays so.

I'm not a collector, so I play, own around 20 games but have had like 30+. I can give first hand experience ideas on games, or second hand as I'm in some online groups, one is switch collectors so I get a lot of info on blast.

Yeah I knew wolfenstein wasn't complete from bitd when it released, lot of people pissed about that one. I think doom is missing the online but is supposed to be all there otherwise. There's a new wolf (out or for preorder, don't remember) hopefully that one is complete.

Jeez the switch drives me nuts, I want a game and everything seems to be pre-order at the moment, heh, on well, at least it will keep me from going bankrupt LOL.

Good to know about ssb, I was hoping it was better, but it's hard to tell just from fanboy reviews, or maybe many people playing it don't realize it had a campaign mode bitd.

Right about pokemon. I had no intent to go back to it, but the switch apparently doesn't turn off so it was on the next time I turned it on so I played that again. The first time I'd only only made it to the second or third gym (the electric one) but after that there's a lot more people to interact with and it's more normal from there.

Don't get me wrong, I like the catching mechanic, it's just removing the fighting bit and requiring you to only catch stuff, and not even being allowed to get rid of them (no release option?) Seems to be a pretty big oversight, and a really bad first impression for a game that's been around long enough most the potential user base have some idea, or at least expectation of.

Luckily you get balls everywhere, so catching 50 of the same guy doesn't just totally screw you :P oh God that came out all kinds of wrong LOL.

Anyhow, outside of a bad first impression, it's turned out better.

(i apologize in advance for the book, i really love talking about the Switch with other people, lol)

@Flojomojo will probably give me no measure of grief about this, but i finally broke down and got a 128gig card for my Switch- it seems to be the perfect size for me to not fret about using it all up on digital games, lol.

My son's waiting for Pokemon Sword/Shield since he is hoping that the mechanics of the game are more similar to the older games. I think it'd be cool if they gave you a choice on catching the Pokemon between the old-fashioned 'beating the crap out of them' and 'throwing balls at them', but I'm not sure how that compromise could be reached.

I finished Let's Go Eevee in about 40(ish?) hours and really don't have a compelling reason to keep playing since I can't stand trying to grind for Shiny Pokemon. I'm hoping maybe the new one will give me the chance to grind experience on Pokemon.

but holy crap are there tons and tons of games I want on the Switch, lol- i'm not sure if you were looking for recommendations still, but I've been having a lot of fun with Ape Out, Dead Cells, and OutRun (in intermittent bursts). I really dug Smash Bros. for a while until I unlocked all the characters in single-player and got a good way through Adventure mode. It kind of fizzled out for me since I don't really do the multi-player thing.

My wife prefers stuff like Diablo 3; she stole my copy 3 months ago and I haven't seen it back yet. My daughter likes stuff like Lego Harry Potter and recently Pianista- in fact, they just stole my Switch to play it some this morning.

I've been playing FF7 and Yoshi's Crafted World lately, myself. I've got the FFX/X-2 set coming here later this month and I anticipate buying FFXII for my wife. :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm playing yookalaylee atm (yeah I was one of the idiots that bought that expensive bastid, heh, but at least I knew what I was getting into when I got it)

I

I also got how to train your dragon, which is a basic top down back slash puzzle game. It's pretty fun, but I hear it's short, and you aren't one of the shows recognizable characters, which could be a negative to some people.

Oh pokemon, they need the fight mechanic in it, if nothing else, in every pokemon game ever, there was a strategy to beating the pokemon without knocking them out to make them easier to catch. Like I said, I do like throwing the ball, and they could have easily switched to that mechanic when you selected "throw ball" but it would be nice to have the more feisty ones slow down, or attack (block?) Less by beating them first, or knock out ones you don't need. It's an ok game, but like the original, really short, and actually kind of traumatizing coming off sun/moon to that LOL. One thing it did do, now I'm playing blue through once again :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well I dismuchverylike the dock thing. I don't know what it is about docks, but I've never seen one properly work. So far it has failed to charge the switch an average of twice a week since I got it. Anyhow, I finally said eff it and just plug the power supply in direct now. I don't play on tv anyways so I guess I don't need the dock. There should be some sort of indicator that it's plugged in but it doesn't seem to. Maybe if it was hooked to a tv, but it seems to only randomly work.

Out of curiosity, I know the controller is supposed to come off, but can I leave it on the system and use a second controller to play it when it's hooked to a tv? I still need a second controller, just haven't gotten around to it yet due to the $70 (I think) price tag. Also, is the psu special? If t get a second one, can I use any usb c plug, or is this a proprietary plug? I only play it handheld atm, but if probably plug it in direct if I don't play on tv.

Anyhow, so far loving the thing. I'm still paranoid as hell about breaking it, but that could just be an illusion. One of these days I'll have to start up skyrim, but I may want to play that one on tv mostly. I did start Mario odyssey, and was just like wow, holy s#!7 balls, that looks amazing! I'm not as into 3d Mario games as the 2d ones, but this is awesome. :)

Well I dismuchverylike the dock thing. I don't know what it is about docks, but I've never seen one properly work. So far it has failed to charge the switch an average of twice a week since I got it. Anyhow, I finally said eff it and just plug the power supply in direct now. I don't play on tv anyways so I guess I don't need the dock. There should be some sort of indicator that it's plugged in but it doesn't seem to. Maybe if it was hooked to a tv, but it seems to only randomly work.

Out of curiosity, I know the controller is supposed to come off, but can I leave it on the system and use a second controller to play it when it's hooked to a tv? I still need a second controller, just haven't gotten around to it yet due to the $70 (I think) price tag. Also, is the psu special? If t get a second one, can I use any usb c plug, or is this a proprietary plug? I only play it handheld atm, but if probably plug it in direct if I don't play on tv.

Anyhow, so far loving the thing. I'm still paranoid as hell about breaking it, but that could just be an illusion. One of these days I'll have to start up skyrim, but I may want to play that one on tv mostly. I did start Mario odyssey, and was just like wow, holy s#!7 balls, that looks amazing! I'm not as into 3d Mario games as the 2d ones, but this is awesome. :)

i kind of have a love/hate relationship with my dock, too. my main complaint is that once i dock my switch if it's in sleep mode and turn it on, i don't have very long before the Switch is like 'imma go to sleep' again.

you can leave your joycons attached to the switch and use another controller. you can also have *one* joycon attached and play with the other one while docked :)

A pro controller is the only way to fly with this. It's worth every penny.

The other suggestion I'd have for a new owner is to dive into all the great indie releases. This thing is basically what the Steambox was supposed to be: a small, easy to play console with the best of Steam. There are so many great 2D retro style games on it I can't even keep up.

Probably gonna end up being my favorite Nintendo console ever.

• Like 3

A pro controller is the only way to fly with this. It's worth every penny.

The other suggestion I'd have for a new owner is to dive into all the great indie releases. This thing is basically what the Steambox was supposed to be: a small, easy to play console with the best of Steam. There are so many great 2D retro style games on it I can't even keep up.

Probably gonna end up being my favorite Nintendo console ever.

This! I had one of those $15 wired controllers and honestly there is no comparison. Once I got my Pro controller I asked myself why the heck I didn't get one sooner.

• 1 month later...

Well, my psu died. I got a replacement, and it works much better. I think the original was faulty, it had a hard core "grip of death" when plugging/unplugging it into the console. Guess that wasn't how it was supposed to be as the new one fits like pretty much any other psu I've used.

Games, I need more games! Uh, like I'm playing what I have.

This has to be one of the hardest systems ever to get games for, almost everything I look at is months out, and it seems to be a real crap shoot as to whether you can get it physical, digital, or the hottest new thing, freak of nature, some weird hybrid. Why? I can't pre-order, because games aren't always correctly listed, and I don't need a physical box for a digital game, I mean, the whole reason for a box is to protect the game, so WTF?! I was spyro was coming, but uh, required download, heh, eff that.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up genesis collection and Atari flashback collections.

Genesis is basically like the genesis consoles that show up everywhere during Christmas season. It's decently emulated or converted or whatever. Lots of good games here.

Atari flashback has a ton of stuff on it, but many of my faves are unplayable due to the short throw of the analog stick being a poor substitute for a paddle controller. Anyhow, still lots of great stuff on here, for arcade, 2600 and 5200. Can't say for 5200 as my real system experience is to limited, and arcades, as I've almost no experience, but with the 2600 titles I can say, while decent, their conversions rather than emulation. It plays right though, so I don't miss the flicker.

I ought to be set for a while now. I'm looking at some other " classic collection" types, there's a lot of them for switch!

Edited by Video
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just hit me, Atari doesn't have battlezone?! Was I wrong thinking that was an Atari game? Hey, still cool though. If they still own it, is there going to be another Atari collection? I mean, they still have lynx and jaguar libraries they could dive into, in addition to more arcades.

BMU games, love side scrollers, not as much a fan of tourney style ones, (mostly depends on availability of real people) but I'll look into that one. Thanks. iMport? Does the switch not region lock? I seem to remember 3ds did, or at least people thi nk it did (importing is rare for me so I don't know)

The Switch doesn't region-lock, i'm happy to say! :D   I own the Asian/English version of FFX/X-2 since it comes on a single cart without all the ridiculous downloading business.

The only gotcha is that you can't do multiplayer or go online on a game that is from a different region from your Nintendo account- but really for me that is not a deal-breaker in the slightest.

Nintendo paranoia lasted for many years.  Once they crept online they decided to be real control freaks and cowards about stuff so the DSi through the entire 3DS line are their only region locked handhelds which infuriated a lot of people who grew up knowing otherwise and the amount of CFW'd systems went up not wanting to reward them buying more systems for more regions.  Finally they decided it was a wasted effort and waste of money to be so controlling and finally their handheld is region free again thankfully.

Region-lock had some kind of silver lining for 3DS, though. On GBA and DS, a lot of games were never released in Europe (Contra 4, Double Dragon Advance, etc.) or very late for some reason (Kirby Canva's Curse, Star Fox Command, Mega Man ZX, etc.). Of course, you could import them, but it costs more and it sucks for Japanese games. But thanks to the rise of digital sales, the 3DS has seen of lot of games that would have never been localized before: Project X Zone, Code of Princess, Kunio games, Virtue Last Reward, etc. I think that, to some extent, region-lock was an incentive to localize them - at least in English.

• 1 month later...

SWITCH LITE!!!

Got mine in yesterday, surprised me. Yes it's been the announced date since a release date was available, but I did say I expected it the 24th (Tuesday) instead of friday. Also got zelda: links awakening. Would have posted yesterday but disasters at work meant working Friday so I only had time for initial setup.

Switch light is cool so far. The system is about 1.25" narrower than the original version, and half an inch shorter t top to bottom. This means it will fit your older cases if they are soft shell, but not a hard form fitting case like the one I bought. I'll need a new case. Not really a pocketable system either, but still a bit more comfortable to hold than the old one. It is unibody, which is the feature I was most interested in. The screen is about an inch smaller than the mk1, still nice and huge, but just fyi for anyone that wants to know. It feels nice and sturdy, I don't feel afraid of breaking it just using it like the mk1 (despite atm not having problems with it, knock on wood) the machine comes with a psu, which is nice, so I have an unopened extra now. The old psu will work fine with this, I can't comment on the new one running the old switch + dock combo, but I assume it's exactly the same one. I'll check it later and get back to you.

So far, same setup as the original. I don't have a Nintendo account so I haven't linked them so I can't comment on what kind of crap you'll have to do to get that working. Battery life is about 4 hours, though the only game I've played atm is Zelda links awakening, so I'm not sure how other games compare, but if seems the same. Not bad considering it doesn't have controller batteries to deal with.

Zelda links awakening. Well, it's beautiful, and has amazing music, outside of that, it's almost a carbon copy of the original. I'll get back once I've finished it, but so far I've only run into pedestals (you can place item here, though I've not run into any items yet, so not sure how you acquire them yet) and there's a guy you can talk to about building a custom dungeon, haven't played that yet. Anyhow, yeah it's expensive, but it's my favorite Zelda so fo me it was worth it. Love the plastic toyland look of the game, I've beat two dungeons so far and am getting items together to get into the castle, that's about four hours in, so despite being years, I'm still on track to finish in about the same time as original.

Anyhow, New switch. Loving it so far.

• Like 1