IGNORED

[Aquarius] One channel sound programming

barnieg

It's pretty straight forward to create simple sounds in basic with the sound command, however is their a way to create sounds with more flexibility without adding the mini expander. I noticed the on the memory map the sound and casette output are on the same port but how would say creating sound in machine code work in practice?

Barnie

That's amazing, are you running samples thru the 1 channel sound?

I'd like to produce more than just simple tones and beeps, effectively im looking at what's possible with an Aquarius + memory and nothing else loaded via tape file

Thanks

Barnie

Yes in this case I was using Jay's Supercart I board and a 1 meg ROM with bank switching. It is a 100kHz 1-bit audio file. It uses everything the system has. The Aquarius has a fast CPU so you can switch the audio channel really fast. There are lots of resources on making useful sounds on a 1 bit channel.

https://www.gamejournal.it/the-sound-of-1-bit-technical-constraint-as-a-driver-for-musical-creativity-on-the-48k-sinclair-zx-spectrum/

Yes in this case I was using Jay's Supercart I board and a 1 meg ROM with bank switching. It is a 100kHz 1-bit audio file. It uses everything the system has. The Aquarius has a fast CPU so you can switch the audio channel really fast. There are lots of resources on making useful sounds on a 1 bit channel.

https://www.gamejournal.it/the-sound-of-1-bit-technical-constraint-as-a-driver-for-musical-creativity-on-the-48k-sinclair-zx-spectrum/

Thanks. Amazing what could be achieved considering the limitations. As I want to load from casette whatever I do will need to fit into ram. Will post further when I've made some more progress

Barnie