IGNORED

NEW Sega MD/Genesis Mini advert

F34R

Hmm...

"While the Japanese version will include six-button controllers, the U.S. version will ship with two three-button Genesis controllers that connect to the Mini via USB. Original Genesis controllers won’t connect."

• Like 1

Included games so far:

Altered Beast

Castlevania:Bloodlines

Comix Zone

Dr Robotniks MBM

Ecco

Sunstar Heros

Shining Force

Space Harrier 2

Sonic

Toejam&Earl

Wake me when they announce all 40 games. I do like the idea of a mini Genesis. Oh its $80 and comes out in September.

With all the options these days I just want confirmation that AtGames had NOTHING to do with this, yes they claim first party by SEGA but what IS SEGA these days? WHO actually manufactures these?

Good point. I'd want to know who is really making these before I get too excited Edited by AtariLeaf

Good point. I'd want to know who is really making these before I get too excited

Looks like the emulation wizards M2 are the guys working on the emulation and the OS. Judging by their record, I might be persuaded to buy a Sega Genesis classic this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hmm...

"While the Japanese version will include six-button controllers, the U.S. version will ship with two three-button Genesis controllers that connect to the Mini via USB. Original Genesis controllers won’t connect."

This just dumbfounds me. It isn't even about having 6 buttons, it's about the unbelievably awesome D-pad on the 6-button Arcade Pad. Not that the 3-button was bad, it wasn't half bad. But to not include the controllers -that are being sold with the Japanese version- just seems like an insulting and handicapping move, without allowing any option to connect original controllers.

What if one has SoR 3 and wants to do a back attack? And I guess this answers whether or not they'll be offering Street Fighter II (THE game that got me to buy a Genesis Model 2 back in the day over a SNES, SFIISCE with the 6-button arcade pad).

It's a shame, I LOVE the look.

With all the options these days I just want confirmation that AtGames had NOTHING to do with this, yes they claim first party by SEGA but what IS SEGA these days? WHO actually manufactures these?

What is Sega these days? A company with a ~$3 billion market cap, as usual. Sega never stopped manufacturing hardware - they just stopped manufacturing home consoles. This will be the first in-house console since the Dreamcast.

As part of the livestream, someone briefly opened the expansion port and it appeared to have a small slot in it. Maybe an SD card slot? They didn't say anything about it but I'm a-hopin'....

What hardware do they still make? Last I read years ago on KLOV, they don't even do in-house arcade manufacturing anymore.

I'm interested in this thanks to the M2 connection, but I think $60 or so will be the cut-off point for me with the Mega SG already out there. And even then, if I can't plug in alternate USB controllers, I'm not so sure I'll bite. I don't like the idea of a plug and play system being completely useless if the controller fails, with no easy way to source replacements short of rebuying the entire system used off Ebay or the AA marketplace.

People give AtGames flak and a good bit of it was well deserved, but including original controller ports is one thing they did well at for many years. Even years ago before their improvement drive a couple of years ago finally started to bring real enhancements to their Sega and Atari lines, they'd almost always have original controller ports on their console systems.

Should be here even if it they weren't to scale with the rest of the system.

Edited by Atariboy

What hardware do they still make? Last I read years ago on KLOV, they don't even do in-house arcade manufacturing anymore.

I'm not sure where that info on KLOV was sourced, but they do still make arcade hardware and have made nine systems following Naomi (the arcade platform that shared architecture with Dreamcast).

61QOUTSi3jL._AC_.jpg

This image shows the expansion port. During the livestream, they popped off the cover and there was a small slot visible inside there that I'm hoping is an SD card slot... but like I said before, I don't think they really said anything about it. (It was all in Japanese but sometimes I can pick up universal phrases, like when they mentioned HDMI and USB.) If not an SD slot, could they possibly be cheeky enough to later on release a Sega CD Mini that connects through that slot?!

• Like 1

In that promotional video they show the cartridge slot opens.

The one on top, sure. The system is barely any wider than a cart; that's got to be for show, because there's no way a real cart fits there.

I think the shadows tricked people on the back, though. There's no slot on the back in that video.

post-61495-0-12639300-1554141645_thumb.png

Edited by derFunkenstein

People give AtGames flak and a good bit of it was well deserved, but including original controller ports is one thing they did well at for many years.

Is this the same company that wouldn't or couldn't make paddles for the current flashbacks with no ability to use originals without modding? Having the port is meaningless if the controllers are useless.

I'm glad they are no where near this thing

• Like 1

Is this the same company that wouldn't or couldn't make paddles for the current flashbacks with no ability to use originals without modding? Having the port is meaningless if the controllers are useless.

considering paddles aren't used in that many games, its not really that big of a deal to me.

later

That was only with last year's HD system.

While the paddle library was relatively small, it's a disappointment for sure that the otherwise solid FB9 doesn't support them (I've had few issues with mine, although build quality for joystick #1 with the extra system buttons seems very lackluster for my one major complaint). But since the start of the AtGames Atari Flashback line and most of the history of their Sega console line, Atari compatible joysticks and Sega Genesis gamepads have been supported out of the box.

That very much wasn't a bad thing with the AtGames system, even if non-primary controllers weren't always supported (I don't think the Indy 500 driving controller even works on modded Atari Flashback 2's from before the AtGames era, and those were high quality products in the opinion of myself and many others). So to see them not be present here is the one negative I see with this successor so far.

Hopefully like Defender_2600 said, it will work with those officially licensed Retro-Bit Genesis USB gamepads (And hopefully a wide variety of generic USB controllers). And if it's successful, I'm sure we'll see things like adapters for original Genesis controllers from Ralphnet, 8BitDo receivers, etc. But I'd still be happiest to have seen the genuine deal be present here.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1