Jump to content
IGNORED

Pictures from Atari Tablet


bandit
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't have very much of my original Atari stuff from the 80's but somehow against all odds, I've held onto about half the floppy disks I had back then along with my original Touch Tablet. One of my old disks still had this image, which I drew circa 1985 or so. :)

 

post-30400-0-37770000-1554500197_thumb.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That picture looks very similar to this one.

 

Never saw that before. Cool. It's fancier than the one I did though - the use of vanishing point perspective was more than I was willing to try as a bored 16 year old kid fooling around at home one day when I'd probably been wishing I was on a date. :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are GREAT! I too uploaded some 'art' I produced via the Atari Light Pen. Got no response from the community what so ever. However, I appreciate e-art! Thank you for posting.

 

Thanks for the comment, next time he comes over I will show him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I did a lot of art back in the 80's and early 90's on several different Atari graphic art programs and input devices, but unlike @DrVenkman, 98% of my original disks were lost. I've been to busy with hardware that I haven't done any new graphic art for years, even though I've been meaning too. Converting images with Rastaconverter is all I've really done for years. This is great stuff so far...

 

In the old days I generally used Rambrandt and a Koala pad, or later Diamond GOS Paint and an ST mouse. I still would use Rambrandt after since it had DLI abilities that Diamond Paint and other Micro Illustrator clones did not. These days of course I have Atari Touch Tablets which are much better than the Koala pad in size and cursor control.

Edited by Gunstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I did a lot of art back in the 80's and early 90's on several different Atari graphic art programs and input devices, but unlike @DrVenkman, 98% of my original disks were lost. I've been to busy with hardware that I haven't done any new graphic art for years, even though I've been meaning too. Converting images with Rastaconverter is all I've really done for years. This is great stuff so far...

 

In the old days I generally used Rambrandt and a Koala pad, or later Diamond GOS Paint and an ST mouse. I still would use Rambrandt after since it had DLI abilities that Diamond Paint and other Micro Illustrator clones did not. These days of course I have Atari Touch Tablets which are much better than the Koala pad in size and cursor control.

I remember your great art-related articles (WAY above my little head) back in the AAAUA days.  Great stuff.  Still read the newsletters about every two years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

I remember your great art-related articles (WAY above my little head) back in the AAAUA days.  Great stuff.  Still read the newsletters about every two years. 

Thanks! I asked in a thread here a few years back if anyone had AAAUA's PD archives as I sent in at least one disk of art work with each article I did, since my disk archives were lost years ago. I vaguely remember two or three of my pictures. I sent in some that were done in just about every graphic mode from high-res artifacting or monochrome art, Rambrandt, and even 256 color APAC using Technicolour Dream software. My favorite was of a green, one-eyed alien I did in APAC mode with his ship behind him and text in a bubble that said "take me to the Tramiels." Or maybe it was just a text line at the top or bottom of the page, I don't recall if Technicolour Dream allows text on the low-res screen now that I think about it...I remember a high-res picture of a Klingon ship using artifact colors too.

Edited by Gunstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was youthful at the time, but at least about 20 by the time I joined AAAUA and did the articles. The art was done anywhere from '85 to '92. I'm pretty sure the art is lost forever at this point. I just have to start doing more.

Edited by Gunstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Despite an O'Level in art I was never arty on the Atari, I just wanted to be a comic book artist to draw Spider-man and Captain America etc but I was never that talented, my art was ok but I was always lost on body proportions and stuff like that. Still life was about as good as I got :)

 

Thankfully my daughter inherited a better version of the art gene and is flourishing (as best you can in lockdown) doing Fine art at uni..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

I was youthful at the time, but at least about 20 by the time I joined AAAUA and did the articles. The art was done anywhere from '85 to '92. I'm pretty sure the art is lost forever at this point. I just have to start doing more.

There were some big names that were members (or subscribing members).  Ed Hall (Yellowknife, Canada).  John Hardie, National Videogame Museum (Frisco, TX), and others that were diehard collectors.  One of them may have the disks.  Were your pics part of their Disk-Of-the-Month disks?  Or were they put on an Subject-matter disk (Art, Demos)?  I only have a few of the AAAUA disks, games mostly, but I will search tonight to see if I have any DOM or "art" disks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

There were some big names that were members (or subscribing members).  Ed Hall (Yellowknife, Canada).  John Hardie, National Videogame Museum (Frisco, TX), and others that were diehard collectors.  One of them may have the disks.  Were your pics part of their Disk-Of-the-Month disks?  Or were they put on an Subject-matter disk (Art, Demos)?  I only have a few of the AAAUA disks, games mostly, but I will search tonight to see if I have any DOM or "art" disks.  

For all I know they were tossed on a shelf and forgotten, honestly. I doubt that's really the case, but all I did was send a floppy or two in when I sent my articles for the newsletter. I was only a subscribing member, and only for two years, 90-92. By '92 I was a freshman in college (I didn't go to college until I was 22-23 years old, when most my age would have been graduating) and with college life I didn't spend much time with my Atari except to write papers, and my membership lapsed and I wasn't involved in the community again until I joined AA in 2001(?). My guess is that the files were introduced into whatever PD library the group had, and any member probably would have to request Atari artwork from the PD library to see them. I forget who was in charge and how PD stuff was distributed by AAAUA.

Edited by Gunstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bandit said:

How did you Tag your pictures ? as gunstar or something else. I have lot's of old 80's/90's pictures.

 

 

Gunstar has only been my handle since the dawn of Internet forums in the late 90's (I never had a modem for Compuserve, Genie, etc. back in the day). I doubt I used any personal tag on any of them; remember, back then we were restricted to 8.3 format and I was only worried about cramming in the name of the picture. Hell, I still don't Tag my own Rastaconversions. I was never really expecting someone to come here and say "hey I have your old pictures from AAAUA," I just wondered if anyone had any old graphic art they got from AAAUA PD library that I could get copies of and then search them for my art. If any name was used by an AAAUA PD library officer referencing my work it would have been under my real name Matt/Matthew Baker.

Edited by Gunstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2020 at 8:47 AM, gilsaluki said:

There were some big names that were members (or subscribing members).  Ed Hall (Yellowknife, Canada).  John Hardie, National Videogame Museum (Frisco, TX), and others that were diehard collectors.  One of them may have the disks.  Were your pics part of their Disk-Of-the-Month disks?  Or were they put on an Subject-matter disk (Art, Demos)?  I only have a few of the AAAUA disks, games mostly, but I will search tonight to see if I have any DOM or "art" disks.  

Okay.  I checked all my AAAUA disks (mostly Print Shop files, icon disks), and it seems I don't have any art file disks.  I did look through the two AAAUA PD catalog disks.  The art files index (for Koala Pad, Micro Illustrator, RLE Files, & Touch Tablet files) is "LIBFILES.K".  Library Disks K1 through K32.   So there are 32 AAAUA disks that were in their library.  Now, if anyone out there has any of those disks, your files may be on them.   Hopefully someone has saved the disks, or archived them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gilsaluki said:

Okay.  I checked all my AAAUA disks (mostly Print Shop files, icon disks), and it seems I don't have any art file disks.  I did look through the two AAAUA PD catalog disks.  The art files index (for Koala Pad, Micro Illustrator, RLE Files, & Touch Tablet files) is "LIBFILES.K".  Library Disks K1 through K32.   So there are 32 AAAUA disks that were in their library.  Now, if anyone out there has any of those disks, your files may be on them.   Hopefully someone has saved the disks, or archived them.

"there were 32 AAAUA art-related disks in their library....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

"there were 32 AAAUA art-related disks in their library....

Thanks for looking through your AAAUA catalog disks. Unfortunately if I ever even received a catalog disk(s) from them, which I don't recall ever asking for, they would have been lost in the late 90's when I moved from Wisconsin (where I was attending college) to California and I apparently left the one big box with all my Atari disks, cartridges and cassettes behind in my old apartment. Something that wasn't discovered missing until around 2000 when I pulled all my Atari stuff out of storage and found all my software missing. The catalog disks would also have to be the most current of around the years '92-93 or after to have my art added into the art disks in the catalog.

Edited by Gunstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I remember the Koala Pads, sadly I'm a hopeless artist. You're all so lucky to still have your floppies from when you were younger, all mine seem to be shedding magnetic material and when I try to read them the FDD stops reading disks and keeps coming up with errors even when inserting new working floppies for about an hour or so. After an hour the read/write heads seem to demagnetize and all is good again.

 

Awesome pics!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...