IGNORED

5200 Joust vs. 8-bit Joust

Gunstar

Well, I was driving through this small town today and decided to stop in a little, wanna-be, thrift shop (it's not an "official" thrift shop to me until they have a good selection of old electronics. ). I found 3 5200 cartridges, unfortunately, two were Pac-man, which I also already own. The 3rd one was Joust! Maybe not the coolest find for the 5200, but I didn't have it. I used to have it on my 8-bit, hence the comparison here. I picked it up for 4 bucks, which I thought was a bit much for a thrift shop (wanna-be), but I bought it anyway, because I figured even if I could have found it for less on E-bay, after shipping and other fees, I'd have ended up paying more anyway. So how about the comparison you ask? Ditto. That's right, ditto. The 5200 and 8-bit are carbon copies of each other (like many 5200/8-bit games). I do prefer the analog controller for this game though, it just works well! Thy Game is Over...

There was a post awhile back about this in the 8-bit section (I think it was called 2 Different Versions of Dig Dug). Most of the games are exactly the same but there are a few exceptions (see the thread for more details).

Tempest

Ooh I just had to post here that 5200 joust was my FAVORITE game for many years and remains my favorite version. 5200 Joust rules all! I even prefer it over the arcade

I think it was the *ultra* bouncy ceilings and the quick flap to flight ratio that I learned to like better on the 5200 version (vs. the arcade)

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

There was a post awhile back about this in the 8-bit section (I think it was called 2 Different Versions of Dig Dug). Most of the games are exactly the same but there are a few exceptions (see the thread for more details).

Tempest

Yeah, I realize that, I was really leaning toward my sharing in my excitement of finding the game and playing it with the analog controls (which RULES). I just kinda threw in the comparison as a subject excuse and a little first hand verification.

quote:

Originally posted by NE146:

Ooh I just had to post here that 5200 joust was my FAVORITE game for many years and remains my favorite version. 5200 Joust rules all! I even prefer it over the arcade.

It was one of favorite games as well, I spent hundreds of $ probably, pumping quarters into the arcade machine. I had it on the 2600, was glad for what it was, but always wanted a better version. Then when I got my first Atari computer (130xe) in '85, I aquired the 800 cart veresion. I used to enjoy showing that version off to friends who had c64, Nintendo, or Colecovision(?) versions of it. The 800 version was better overall. The 7800 version is the closest to the arcade that I've personally seen on console (not counting the new compilation cds for modern consoles). My 7800 stuff has been 2000 miles away from me for the past year though, but it's on it's way back to me as I write!! I do think I prefer the 5200 version due to the analog controls, I'll have to try the 7800 version again when I get it to be sure. I actually find that I prefer the 5200 analog controls in several of the games I own. Q-bert, StarRaiders, Defender, Berzerk!, and now Joust. I have both the 8-bit and 5200 versions of Pac-man right now; I like the 8-bit controls a LOT better for this game, but because the 8-bit

version is lacking the cute intermissions of the 5200 version, I find myself playing 5200 Pac-man more...

I love Joust too. The 5200 version shines.

Centipede was another different version, 5200 from the 8bit. We talked about it a bit in a recent digital press forum thread, and Frank Hausman, the 5200 Centipede coder, responded to us, telling us of all the extra effort behind the superior 5200 version. Go check it out before it sinks too low, the thread is something about the 5200 and I think Tempest started it. The first post was in May, with the last post in July.

http://pub10.ezboard.com/fretrogamingclass...picID=502.topic

sighhhh, yes I will do all the work.

Tempest, he never responded, but considering the fact that it took him a month to resurrect the thread anyway ... I doubt he's a daily reader of the board.

I didn't want to scare him off or hassle him, but I wanted to ask some questions too! He was the 2nd 5200 programmer I had communication with; the first was Steve A. Baker who did Defender and Stargate.