IGNORED

atari2600land's Blog - MidSpace version 7

RSS Bot

So it took way longer than expected to come to this point. I was having trouble trying to get the fire button to not fire when it hit the enemy. All that other stuff, enemy adding, noise adding, was fairly easy but this took at least a few hours and many reattempts. But I finally got it working.

Odyssey 2 coding is like trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle, because of the small sections. And the only way to jump from section to section is with the "jmp" command. And if some code spills into another section, even though it may compile, it won't work. But that wasn't the problem I was having this time. The computer chose to simply ignore a line or two of code. So I had to keep trying to make it not do that.

Then, when I was done, I tested it on an Odyssey 2. The top stars were flickering whenever the game ended and a new game began. The fix was to lower the stars on the top. I guess too much code was being run at once. So now the game looks like this:

You'll notice no stars at the top. It may look ugly, but I have to do it this way if I want it to be perfect (I'm a perfectionist.) So I have been working all day on this. The hi score counter works (I borrowed the code from my previous game Aaron the Aant.) So I have 600 bytes left to put in enemy shooting. But it has to be silent shooting since the Odyssey 2 only has one sound channel, something I overlooked when I decided to make this for the Odyssey 2 instead of the Atari 2600. I want to stop for today, but you know me, a few hours from now I'll probably be back at work on this. But I don't want to, I got enough angriness for one day. ("angriness" isn't a word? Well, it should be.)

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-9475-0-32285500-1555193354.png

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/168/entry-15752-midspace-version-7/