IGNORED

10 reasons Mega Drive is better than Genesis

Flojomojo

Also - Mega Drive sucks as a name, because there is no mechanical drive in the unit, and Mega is a misused adjective. Genesis, while non-specific, at least has a historical/societal context to it, and just sounds cool.

There's such a thing as a "solid state drive," it doesn't need to be mechanical. As for "Genesis," I'm fine with excluding ancient creation myths from my video games, thanks very much. :P

There's such a thing as a "solid state drive," it doesn't need to be mechanical. As for "Genesis," I'm fine with excluding ancient creation myths from my video games, thanks very much. :P

there wasn't such thing as a Solid State Drive in 1989 when the Sega Genesis was released. And no, Sega didn't invent one either.

Genesis as a term isn't specific to nonsensical religious use. It is a term for the beginning of something, and is more scientific in nature than it is biblical.

This is not correct. The actual name is the "Sega Master System." It says it right on the console, on every iteration of the console ever sold. There are no consoles that just say "Sega Base System" or "Segascope 3D System" they just say Sega Master System Power Base on them.

Even the Sears Wishbook sold it as the Sega Master System.

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/12/16/vintage-video-game-ads_n_6318730.html

except for the Mark III, which was the original master system :P

as far as SSD's intel and sharp did have bubble memory in a few machines of the mid 80's (like most of the early model GRiD laptops used it as non volatile storage)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, DurradonXylles said:

I like both names, honestly, though I'll use "Genesis" most of the time because that's what I grew up knowing the console as.

There is a bit more context of the name chosen for NA outside of Mega Drive being taken up and appealing to the religious sensibilities of the continent like what the article suggests. Due to Nintendo of America violating several antitrust laws and monopolizing the video game industry with the licensing and publishing policies they had for most of the NES's lifespan, most Americans never experienced the Master System when it originally released here. Sega's presence was known primarily in the arcades up to this point in this part of the world, and even those who knew of Sega's 8-bit home console opted to choose Nintendo because their system had far more to offer in software.

The name "Genesis" was chosen with this context of Sega's NA release of the 16-bit console: for the first time the entire gaming audience in the US and Canada actually got to see Sega enter the console market without overshadowing by the Big N. It was really the beginning of Sega's presence in the home market in this part of the world, adding to that it would strangely enough be the most relevant couple of years the Master System would ever be as well thanks to the Master System II and Power Base Converter coming out not long after.

That and at the time there was another company in the US using the name "Mega Drive" for hard disk storage.

I still think the name Genesis fits as it sounds like an epic beginning of the 16-bit era (in the States).  At least they didn't go with the original name of Tomahawk which was too war like...

• Like 1

wait a sec, if we mush them into one machine we get a playbox

I personally can't stand the newer machine names "playstation one pro new S x DS lite" like what the hell am I buying I just want to play games, not spec a freaking PC 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Funny read, indeed, but it ultimately comes down to the nostalgia factor and what you grew up with, based on where you grew up. It's pretty much impossible to beat that. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, DurradonXylles said:

Due to Nintendo of America violating several antitrust laws and monopolizing the video game industry with the licensing and publishing policies they had for most of the NES's lifespan, most Americans never experienced the Master System when it originally released here.

Of course, this is only part of the story (albeit a significant one). Sega's decision to select Tonka as the distributor of the Master System in the US was a poor one, as the maker of toy trucks hadn't a clue how to market video game systems. Similarly, Nintendo's decision to pick Mattel as the distributor for the NES throughout most of Europe hurt the NES' success in that market.

• Like 1