IGNORED

Caféman's Blog - Avengers Endgame - what a film! non-spoiler thoug

RSS Bot

avengers-endgame-9.13.09-AM.jpg

I sat in a sold-out theater auditorium last night to see the finale of the 11-year Marvel Cinematic Universe - Avengers: Endgame. We also have tickets for this upcoming Sunday night, but I had to see it sooner. It was on my mind, and I didn't want anything at all to be given away or spoiled for me. I went into the film knowing very little about how the film would progress; the film was incredibly cleverly made and even though I suspected a few scenes or locations would be there (I watched the trailers but only once each), how it all plays out was a pleasant surprise to me. I would have been happy with a fun but lesser film; but what we got was somebody's extreme labor of love.

So the film is still brand new and I have no desire to spoil anything to you, however the film is still on my mind, and I want to write something about it, because it is a film unlike any I've ever seen. So here are a few blurbs to try to express that I loved the film, but with no actual details.

Runtime thoughts - it's 3 hours and 1 minute. I feel that is too long for ANY film. But it didn't seem like that. The Russo brothers, the directors, gave the scenes and story and characters time to breathe, and I appreciate that. No corners were cut. I felt so SATISFIED at the movie's completion. And it really isn't much longer than prior Avengers films. Infinity War was 2 1/2 hours.

Captain Marvel is obviously a new Avenger addition - does her character dominate the film? Nope! She is in it, she is powerful, but she thankfully does not monopolize the film but her involvement is restrained.

What emotions did I feel watching the film - there are several cases where I felt emotionally affected (sad). I heard several people crying and sniffing during some moments; that could have been me, but I didn't get that far affected, I think I was a bit tired last night.

I also felt dread. I kind of didn't feel comfortable where things were going a few times, which is a good thing as far as the film goes. I felt the suspense and tension. Thanos is a wicked, powerful , and intelligent Mad Titan, and the film reminds us of that.

Is there a lot of typical humor? Oh yeah, we all cracked up at both little dumb zingers and at the bigger humor moments. I'm still chuckling at a few lines. And scenes. Who is the funniest character? I'd say probably Thor. You'll see why!

How about action? I'd say overall there is less fighting action in Endgame than in Avengers , Avengers: Age of Ultron, or Avengers: Infinity War. I say "overall" because a great majority of the film concerns itself more with the characters trying to achieve various things, not just the typical good vs bad guys battles. But there certainly are battles especially the film's ending sequence which exceeded all expectations and was unlike anything I have seen before.

Does Avengers: Endgame feel a lot like Avengers: Infinity War? No, not at all. A lot has changed, and the focus is on different characters in Endgame. And the core MCU heroes get time to flesh out their lives and stories. Very nice.

Is there an equivalent moment in Endgame that feels like the Infinity War Wakanda battle where Thor appears to save the day? YES THERE IS. In fact I had more than one of these awesome fist-pump moments. But definitely one I didn't expect but was a extremely exciting and gratifying surprise in the final battle sequence.

So in summary, this film was something else. I'm still processing it. Mentally digesting it. I think it was the YT Collider channel that stated "Feige and company stick the landing in Avengers: Endgame", and I can't think of a better simple way to express my enjoyment and satisfaction with the film.

First Watch rating: 10/10 !

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/618/entry-15796-avengers-endgame-what-a-film-non-spoiler-thoughts/