IGNORED

High Quality Composite Cables For Genesis Model 2 / 32X?

Skippy B. Coyote

So I've got 32X once again and my life is filled with the joy of 32-bit power and Virtua things, but I can't help but wonder if I could get a slightly better picture out of my 32X with a nice thickly shielded composite cable instead of the el-cheapo generic Genesis Model 2 composite cable I have been using.

I definitely don't want to drop a ton of money on a SCART cable and RGB converter box, I'm perfectly happy with using composite on my 480i CRT TV (though my TV does have component inputs too so that would be an option if there was an affordable component cable out there that does 480i), I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good Genesis 2 / 32X composite cable that's a bit more heavy duty and more nicely shielded than the generic ones you find on eBay? I had looked at Retro-Bit's Genesis 2 / 32X composite cable on Amazon but a couple reviewers mentioned that it doesn't actually output proper stereo sound, so I thought I'd ask around here for other recommendations.

Any advice would be be appreciated. :)

Edited by Jin

Well, I just discovered the existence of the HD Retrovision component cables for the Genesis Model 2 / 32X and since they do output 480i on CRT TVs and the price for them isn't outlandish I think it's "question answered" at this point. Feel free to chime in with other suggestions if you have any you'd like to share, but it seems like the HD Retrovision component cable is probably my best bet for getting my Genesis/32X looking pretty on a CRT without breaking the bank. :)

Edited by Jin

I use the same cables from my 32x through my OSSC and my Genesis by far has the best overall picture through the OSSC via component than any of my other systems including those I have on RGB.

Very cool! I'm just planning on using them on a Sony WEGA Trinitron standard definition CRT so there won't be any upscaler needed, but in the off chance I decided to plug my Genesis into my modern 1080p HDTV at some point how's the picture from the HD Retrovision component cables without the OSSC? Is the 240p signal fairly comparable to 480i on a CRT or do you really need to run it through a OSSC or Framemeister or to get a good picture on an HDTV with the Retrovision component cables?

I had to run it through the OSSC because my Sony isn't compatible with native 240p signals and just gives me a black screen or displays No Signal without the upscaler to bring it up to at least 480 on the resolution.

If your HD TV accepts the 240p signal via component, it will still look very soft. Running it through the OSSC will make it look razor sharp. If your Sony CRT supports component, then that is the absolute best way to go for improving the image on that set. Then in the future if you want to go HD, you can use those same cables with the OSSC.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There's no good way to get decent composite from the Genesis.

For some values of Genesis this is true. The fact remains that Sega used multiple composite transcoders, and some were better than others, though. Later model 1s like the VA6 or VA6.5 seemed pretty good, and I have owned a VA4 that was excellent. Unfortunately, many Genesis consoles suffer from rainbow blending and other aberrations.

In regards to the original post, I did actually find a really well constructed and nicely shielded set of composite cables for the Genesis Model 2 / 32X: https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/sega-mega-drive-ii-genesis-ii/303-sega-mega-drive-2-genesis-2-av-video-rca-cable.html

I'm still going to pick up a set of HD Retrovision component cables, but if anyone does stumble on this thread at some point looking for better composite cables than what you'll find on Amazon with proper stereo sound then those are some darn good ones. :)