IGNORED

USB Rotary Control, MAME, EMULATION

pboland

On 4/29/2022 at 12:50 AM, 4ever2600 said:

Just checking up on this...

I finally have parts and I'm starting to build them. Here's a pic wiring up the first eleven PCB:

PCBwiring.thumb.jpg.fb72ca2ed85d20196df2394b7457e2dc.jpg

And here's a pic of nine Atari Arcade style knobs printed up:

knobPrinting.thumb.jpg.34e386f2400e9f16dbca77674772027d.jpg

Because of part shipping issues, I'm having to use two slightly different PCBs. The first eleven are a tad shorter (by 7mm) than the rest (Shorter PCBs shown in the pic above).

So, things are moving (finally!).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Hey pboland, how are these going?  Just doing a follow up.  Been a few months. :)

Slow. I had an issue with my main 3D printer. I got it solved and I just started printing the main body of the spinners last week.

While waiting for parts for my 3D printer I decided to redesign the spinner body. I'll have more info soon. It doesn't change it's basic function, but it does improve on a couple build issues I was having over the last few runs. If all goes well from here on out, I'm thinking this time next month I will be contacting people. ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally an update!!

I'm was going to be contacting people today, but with the holiday weekend (and I still have to test every unit) I will be contacting everyone on the "want list" starting Tuesday (9/6/22). Here's a pic I just took of the assembled twenty-one units:

NewCycloTRONs.thumb.jpg.0837006c4651ff2b0e80ba8f01a80d1f.jpg

You may notice that the spinner has went through a major update in its design. This was done because I was trying to address a few things I wanted to improve on. Mainly I wanted to standardize the shafts lengths, add proper bearings, and to widen the ability to "tweak" the speed settings. This required a change in the placement of the USB tracking laser. The design is so different I've changed the name of the devise. This new spinner design is called the CycloTRON (yes I know it is also the name of the first particle accelerator). The name is a combination of the original name Cyclone and the arcade game I'm making TRON.

The price unfortunately had to go up. The cost will be $55.00 plus shipping. Again I will be contacting those who are on the "want list" via PM starting Tuesday. If there are any left over I will put them up for general sale.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the enclosures people are using for their spinners.  I saw ClassicGMR was going to try the lunch boxes and I was wondering if those are sturdy enough.  It would be nice to find a small enclosure that's just big enough for the spinner and buttons without costing a small fortune.  If anyone has anything they would share I would be grateful.  Good luck all with your projects!

8 hours ago, yoras said:

That is the exact box I was referring to that shattered on me. I bought 2. The first one I went right at it with the proper sized wood bit. It did not go well. So on the second I  used progressively larger bits - working my way up the scale - in the hopes it would go easier on the wood and it still shattered.

As for the lunch boxes... I haven't tried yet. I like them so much as decor that I haven't gotten around to drilling one of them out yet. 🙃

7E7D5E25-376F-44BE-8353-FF002343835E.jpeg

99B0538D-BD3A-4E48-9CA2-CD93C76FF82C.jpeg

3F0D063E-5169-4F18-A50D-53F366952FE3.jpeg

Edited by ClassicGMR
Added pics

13 hours ago, yoras said:

I'm curious about the enclosures people are using for their spinners.  I saw ClassicGMR was going to try the lunch boxes and I was wondering if those are sturdy enough.  It would be nice to find a small enclosure that's just big enough for the spinner and buttons without costing a small fortune.  If anyone has anything they would share I would be grateful.  Good luck all with your projects!

The CycloTRON spinner needs a little more space than the older Cyclone spinner. If mounting on a surface that is thin (like a plastic box or metal enclosure), you will need about 3 inches of space from the bottom of the surface you are mounting to. The reason for this is, you will need to use all three spacers that is included with spinner so the knob doesn't sit to high off the surface.

The minimum distance under the surface when not using the spacers is 2-1/4 inches, but keep in mind if the surface is thin (like a plastic box or metal enclosure) the space between the bottom of the knob and the mounting surface will be a high (about 7/8 of an inch). That's because use without the spacers is meant for a 3/4 inch thick standard arcade panel.

19 hours ago, yoras said:

That is the exact box I was referring to that shattered on me. I bought 2. The first one I went right at it with the proper sized wood bit. It did not go well. So on the second I  used progressively larger bits - working my way up the scale - in the hopes it would go easier on the wood and it still shattered.

Interesting.  I wonder if a coat of laminate or lacquer before drilling would help.  Your box looks great until you see it's nasty little production secrets..  Good job and thanks for sharing your progress.

Edited by yoras

On 9/18/2022 at 9:16 AM, ClassicGMR said:

Did you use a piece of "sacrificial wood" behind the piece you were drilling into? Basically clamp a piece of scrap, like a small section of a 2x4 or something, to the wood you're drilling the hole into and then drill through that and a little ways into the sacrificial piece of scrap behind it. Often that can help absorb some of the kinetic force of the drill bit and prevent breaks. Also clamping them both (the box and the sacrificial scrap) down onto a work table and drilling down vertically into it can help. Basically just creating more continuous surface area to absorb the forces at work. However... those craft boxes are really made of some cheap, brittle wood so it's tough to do any kind of clean work with them.

I was given a link from a user that this would be a good enclosure to use (I haven't used it myself, but the dimensions look as if it should work) :

Outdoor Electrical Junction Box IP65 Waterproof ABS Project Case 6.3"x6.3"x3.54"

This one should work as well if you want a black box (again I haven't used it myself but the dimensions look as if it should work) :

Electronic Enclosure 8.5x5.4x3.2 inches ABS Plastic Project Box

• Like 1

I actually like both of those. I bought an Atari lunchbox last night(I like the three I ordered too much as decor) since this rekindled my wanting to finish the project but if that fails I am going to try one of these 2 enclosures. 

EDIT: The 2nd one is a good choice as it gives you the option to mount the button alongside the spinner (off center mount) or even on the side but you have a small area for your hand to rest on. 

Edited by ClassicGMR

On 9/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, Zoyous said:

Did you use a piece of "sacrificial wood" behind the piece you were drilling into?

I'm a computer guy... I know what end of a screwdriver to stick into a screw but beyond that I. AM. CLUELESS. 🤣 My wife is actually the handyman here and she said something similar at the time. Hate you both! 😍

• Haha 2

I found a plastic enclosure that worked out well for a case.  Here's the link from eBay and a picture follows. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124389463656

The control works really well.  I tested it with Arkanoid, Tempest, Peggle, Super Breakout, and a few others.  However, I now have three spinners and would be open to trading or selling it.  Hit me up if anyone is interested.  I'd trade or sell it for the cost of the spinner + shipping.  Thanks!

IMG_0356.jpg

Edited by ARCZero
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The entire wait list has been filled.

I have (4) four CycloTRON units that I can sell. I will sell them on a first come first sever basis.

If you are interested in purchasing, please Personal Message (PM) me.

The cost of the spinner is $55.00 (plus shipping). Shipping inside the USA is $10.00 (Cananda is $20.00). I you are interested I will need to know the country you live in (this is for shipping charges) if not in the USA and I will need your PayPal email address for invoicing. I will invoice you once your order is ready to ship.

As always, let me know in the PM if you have any questions.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have (2) Two CycloTRON units that I can sell. I will sell them on a first come first sever basis.

If you are interested in purchasing, please Personal Message (PM) me.

The cost of the spinner is $55.00 (plus shipping). Shipping inside the USA is $10.00 (Cananda is $20.00). I you are interested I will need to know the country you live in (this is for shipping charges) if not in the USA and I will need your PayPal email address for invoicing. I will invoice you once your order is ready to ship.

As always, let me know in the PM if you have any questions.

Thanks!

• Like 1