IGNORED

Will Wii U games play in 20 years?

Most of my PS1 games are 20 years old (or older) now, so I see no reason Wii U games wouldn't work after that time. I know all first party games (Nintendo isn't the kind of company that would put a compromised game on a disc and push out a huge patch) for the Wii and Wii U should work just fine in 20 years as long as the discs are taken care of.

• 4 months later...

I'll never trust Nintendo again. Years ago I asked on Nintendo forums what if wii servers go away, will we be able to buy wiiware/vc games on disk and was told wii servers will never go away. Well they are gone and so are all those wiiware exclusives. I still have my wii but I'm never buying another new console from them again. Of course having said that I'm enjoying cheep wii games from ebay. ✌️

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, xucaen said:

I'll never trust Nintendo again. Years ago I asked on Nintendo forums what if wii servers go away, will we be able to buy wiiware/vc games on disk and was told wii servers will never go away. Well they are gone and so are all those wiiware exclusives. I still have my wii but I'm never buying another new console from them again. Of course having said that I'm enjoying cheep wii games from ebay. ✌️

You mean you'll never trust a company again because some intern(*) made a completely ridiculous claim? Oooook.

(*) Was it someone from Nintendo? I didn't know they had official forums.

Online stores obviously aren't eternal, so I'm surprised you ever believed that claim. And there's no business case for cramming thousands of dollars worth of DLC to a single disc and then selling them for pennies on the dollar just because Wii Shop support was ending, so that wasn't a realistic hope.

In practical terms, I'm not entirely sure what the problem is anyways. Other than losing the ability to make additional purchases, nothing has changed now that most Wii Shop functionality has ceased (You're still able to redownload purchases that you may have deleted in the past, with no announced date for the cessation of that final aspect of the Wii Shop). Your games still reside on your Wii (Or Wii U) and will continue to work for the life of that particular system, as has been the case since day 1 of the Wii Shop.

You were never able to log onto another Nintendo Wii and redownload your digital purchases to a replacement Wii in the event of a hardware failure. And Nintendo themselves obviously weren't going to be repairing systems for decades. They were always the sole official avenue for restoring DLC to a replacement Wii if the repair process necessitated sending a different Wii in return, and that support obviously was always going to go away eventually.

I just don't see what really has changed here. Existing Wii Shop purchases weren't nuked and remain playable if your system is still operational. And I can understand if someone was disappointed in missing out on a few more purchases and is perhaps angered by the Wii Shop going away, but the shop was online for many years and the dates for the cessation of adding credit to one's Wii Shop balance and then later on the ability to spend that credit for purchases was well publicized (and notices were even posted in the Wii Shop itself).

So it's not Nintendo's fault if someone missed out on a final game or two. It's just bad luck that the news managed to fly under their radar since Nintendo certainly fulfilled their responsibilities in letting the Wii community know ahead of time what was happening. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Atariboy said:

And there's no business case for cramming thousands of dollars worth of DLC to a single disc and then selling them for pennies on the dollar just because Wii Shop support was ending, so that wasn't a realistic hope.

Lol not sure where that's coming from. Would be cool if they could at least keep an online store open. If they sold their most popular games on disc that would be cool too but no one expects what you just suggested. Are you trolling me? ?

I just figured you were envisioning a series of large scale compilation discs when the Wii Shop went away. If you meant one game per disc, they would've had to have released 427 individual discs just to fully cover the North American Virtual Console content alone.

While I'm also a physical media fan and not out to be a killjoy, that's equally unrealistic to have hoped for. It would've been nice though to have seen a few more Kirby's Dream Collection style releases, and I remain a bit puzzled why some big anniversaries for franchises like Metroid and Zelda came and went without similar collections back during the slow months leading up to the Wii U. 

At the end of the day though, I'm also sad to see support concluding. And while I feel the Virtual Console's demise isn't a big deal, it's particularly unfortunate that Nintendo and 3rd parties didn't take a cue from Microsoft's range of Xbox Live Arcade compilations on the Xbox 360 and do a bit more with small scale compilations of the better received WiiWare content like Konami's 'Rebirth' line.

But at least for Wii fans, modding the console is simple and all the DLC is within easy reach online. So you can take matters into your own hands and retrieve your digital content and easily restore it to a new system in the event of a hardware failure. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I could see Wii discs with a, or a few dl games on them. Thats how I got Wii SMB all stars for wii. I don't know, but I'm sure that was digital. Maybe not every Wii store game, but certainly the more popular titles should have gotten the physical treatment.I

Yes digital stores will go away, and we've had several generations of proof of that at this point, so anybody thinking one will be around forever (and there are still people like that) are living in a fantasy life.

Most Wii u controllers just take disposable batteries, but the Wii u game pad does not. Idk if it does any sort of handshake with the pad of not, if not you'll still be able to get a new battery for a little while. If so, your stuck with a perpetual dead battery once it goes out, or likely dead nos batteries, or janky questionable third party alternatives.

I do have one game that has issues: Lego City Undercover...I even returned a used copy and bought a brand new copy, and it still pops up with a "cannot read disc" error every once in a while.

The only thing I really worry about, is that there is just barely enough internal storage on the thing...Xenoblade Chronicles certainly doesn't help, I had to delete a few things just to get the BotW DLC to fit, but I fear there's not much room for anything else without getting some external solutions...and the Hyrule Warriors DLCs sound a tiny bit tempting...

13 minutes ago, Video said:

Most Wii u controllers just take disposable batteries, but the Wii u game pad does not. Idk if it does any sort of handshake with the pad of not, if not you'll still be able to get a new battery for a little while. If so, your stuck with a perpetual dead battery once it goes out, or likely dead nos batteries, or janky questionable third party alternatives.

On the plus side, I think the Gamepad might have enough room inside so that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to hack job some other size replacement battery inside.

Worst case scenario, you'll have to keep your Gamepad plugged into the charger while you use it =|

On 3/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, Asaki said:

The only thing I really worry about, is that there is just barely enough internal storage on the thing...Xenoblade Chronicles certainly doesn't help, I had to delete a few things just to get the BotW DLC to fit, but I fear there's not much room for anything else without getting some external solutions...and the Hyrule Warriors DLCs sound a tiny bit tempting...

I feel you on the 32GB limit, but at least there is an external solution. It'll just be one of those things that's something that comes with the territory (always having an external hard drive hooked up).

• 1 month later...

OEM Wii U batteries are crazy expensive now on the secondary market. But it will never be a useless system as you can always plug in the AC adaptor. Once the Gamepad conks out, well...

We still play Mariokart 8 online, it's lots of fun even though it does tend to crash a lot.  The Miiverse stuff would have been fun but I don't consider it necessary.

Whenever I wonder why Nintendo would shut down servers I keep in mind Mr Profit and Mrs Buy The Latest System and it all becomes clear. 

At this rate though, by the time I get a Switch all their online stuff will probably be gone too, so it's also another way to keep people spending more on the new product. DLC is something we haven't bothered too much with other than Mariokart 8...that's a must buy. Just makes you appreciate how much value  they used to cram into games like Marioparty 9 or Wii Party. 

• Like 1

Another question is, how will you factory reset a Wii U years down the road when you want to? 

I recently sold my Wii U to a co-worker and of course I had to reset it to remove all private data. But, you need an internet connection to do that....it needs to communicate with Nintendo's server in order to do it! Who thought that was a good idea? This idea is almost as bad as the Blackberry Playbook that loses all data and has to be factory restored if you let the battery die ;)

• Like 1

What I don't get when people bring up patches is this - as many people gain access to roms and betas, and who make hacks, etc. You're telling me that these little patch files can't be identified within an existing machine that has it installed by someone who's savvy, and archived for the sake of future proofing / manual downloading if ever need be? Seems a bit naive to think you need to rely on an OEM for all of eternity for something that trivial.