IGNORED

Switch lite coming...

25 minutes ago, Gentlegamer said:

More like Switchless Lite amirite

You, sir, are correct. There's no way to "switch" this handheld to a TV-docked device, and their cute Switch logo makes a little bit less sense now. 

giphy.gif

They'll be OK though, because the Lite is just another version of the same thing. Just like the 2DS played most of the 3DS library, or all the wacky fragmentation of Wii controllers. The popular stuff will stick around and the things that were expensive and underused (all the sensors in JoyCons, for example) will fall away. 

Nintendo's promotional videos are getting increasingly weird. They feel like 1980's movie montages, when the filmmakers need to show somebody training to do something quickly. Like when Ralph Macchio gets really good at karate in the Karate Kid or Lane learns how to ski in Better Off Dead. 

Anyway, I'll probably buy one of these, though now that it's been announced, I'm slightly disappointed. It's not that much smaller than the original and the battery life is only 20-30% better (so like, 4 hours instead of 3?). Those are the two things I was really hoping would be a more dramatic difference vs. the original. It still doesn't seem like that great of a handheld system, which is obviously supposed to be the point, and I feel like the Switch *could* be a great handheld system if it really fixed those two issues. As it is, it's going to be a slightly better handheld system than it previously was.

Unless Nintendo's doing the thing Apple does now where every iteration is slightly better but never exactly what everybody wanted, meaning in six months or a year we'll get an "improved" Switch Lite with 5 hours of battery life instead of 4 and a somewhat more streamlined case and we'll all sell our old ones and buy new ones again...

I don't see the Lite as a replacement for anything, but rather a new point of entry for people who haven't gotten a Switch yet. Kind of like the New 2DS which was inferior in almost every way to the New 3DS. Or if you want an Apple analogy, this is the iPhone 5C -- cheaper, cuter, but not a step forward. 

Agreed about the goofy videos, but if they showed the actual users, no one would buy the Nintendo Hikkomori. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I don't see the Lite as a replacement for anything, but rather a new point of entry for people who haven't gotten a Switch yet.

I never liked half-assed "basic" entry level products. You end up getting the full version anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I never liked half-assed "basic" entry level products. You end up getting the full version anyway. 

Fair point. Especially since the OG Switch goes on sale frequently and is only a little bit more money for a lot more product. 

I thought I'd "upgrade" to the New 2DS because I liked the idea of a smaller and lighter device, didn't care about 3D, and assumed the build quality would be the same if not better than the New 3DS I had been enjoying for 2 years. Nope! It had a floppy hinge, cheap plastic, and the weedy little speakers that sounded like they would rattle apart if I turned the volume up too high. I ended up reversing my "System Transfer" (what a pain in the ass, and had to wait a week to do it) and eating a few bucks by flipping the New 2DS on eBay since Gamestop wouldn't take back an opened system. Lesson learned!

1 hour ago, Gamemoose said:

I like the size, like the fact it has an actual D-Pad but I wonder about total game compatibility. For example, I know Super Mario Odyssey uses motion controls for some moves. Can said moves be done without motion?

From the video (starting around the 4:30 mark):

"You'll need additional JoyCon controllers to play games...which require motion controls."

• Like 1

What I'm most surprised about is that it seems Nintendo is using the same 20nm Tegra X1 for the lite.  I figured they would at least move to a 16nm die shrink of the X1 for better battery life, but looks like they are just relying on the smaller screen to boost battery life up to an extra half hour.  Maybe they will move to 16nm for the Pro Switch. 

$200 retail...

No Joycons...built in so some games might not work as expected. No docking option so it cant be used on TV, motion sensors are gone too. 

Nice 2nd console or if your looking for PORTABLE only...  Not the best option if you dont have a Switch now...

I STILL dont have one (was waiting for it to be under $200) but, this is not the option I want.. I need one that works on the TV..

Edited by TheCoolDave
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, The Undecided said:

I’m hoping for a switch pro, I think this is a nice option for some however. 

It's a matter of time, and not the pathetic guess style one these data mining mind readers seem to elude to that truly know nothing.  The Switch was very specifically designed as it was to use modern game engines so it could handle a lot of conversions from current, last gen consoles, and the android space too.  With PS5 coming next year the gulf will be too wide, bad, like as it was with Wii vs PS3 other than the SD/HD aspect so you could very well kiss console conversions goodbye other than say bridge games (like where PS3/PS4 got the same titles for a time) and then android stuff.  If they were to go with the next step in the Tegra line, the true with, with the smaller dye, faster CPU/GPU, the added RAM and so forth, that would still allow for that cheaper underpowered but only moderately so underpowered machine that still could handle specific lesser demanding conversions that can still use dynamic tricks to give a nice experience.

this is tangentially related, but I would like to see a 'Pro' type JoyCon that replaces the buttons on the left one in favor of a D-Pad.  I have a really hard time playing Street Fighter in portable mode because I prefer to use the D Pad but am terrible at using the stick for the moves.  lol

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yes, I pre-ordered one and yes, I paid it off in it's entirety. Not having an original Switch had me wondering if I wanted a portable or hybrid. I'm looking for just the portability feature, thus the Switch Lite was a no brainer buy. Already pickup up BotW to play on it once I have it in my hands, and am thinking of the next game or two I want to get (probably Octopath Traveler and Mario Odyssey). This will most likely be my last buy of "new" consoles, and I will attempt to focus on collecting for it down the road.

• Like 1

I'm happy with my regular old Switch, since I play docked on the TV probably 80% of the time and I wouldn't want to give that up. A Switch that doesn't switch kinda defeats the purpose for me, but Nintendo has a good track record for removing their system's main selling point in a cheaper alternative and selling millions of them (see the 2DS) so I'm sure the Switch Lite will do quite well. 

I do have to admit that I like the form factor of the Switch Lite though, so they could probably sell me on picking one up if they ever came out with a really cool retro themed one like this original Game Boy themed Switch Lite mockup:

RVteuZT.jpg

It wouldn't replace my regular Switch since I do prefer playing on the big screen most of the time, but I could see it being neat to have. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jin said:

I'm happy with my regular old Switch, since I play docked on the TV probably 80% of the time and I wouldn't want to give that up. A Switch that doesn't switch kinda defeats the purpose for me, but Nintendo has a good track record for removing their system's main selling point in a cheaper alternative and selling millions of them (see the 2DS) so I'm sure the Switch Lite will do quite well. 

I do have to admit that I like the form factor of the Switch Lite though, so they could probably sell me on picking one up if they ever came out with a really cool retro themed one like this original Game Boy themed Switch Lite mockup:

RVteuZT.jpg

It wouldn't replace my regular Switch since I do prefer playing on the big screen most of the time, but I could see it being neat to have. :)

That mock up looks amazing.