IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 9 - Super Breakout

The key to this variant is to keep the multiple balls going as long as possible. It multiplies the score accordingly.

Another scoring aid is timing your hit of the last brick. If you can manage to hit the last brick from above, you've got a good chance that the next level will start before the ball comes back down. Since you get the extra 2 balls back at the start of a level, it gives mega scoring if done right. Here's an old pic from when I did it on doubles.

This is an easier strategy to use on Doubles. In that variation, you can purposely lose your ball before hitting the last brick (before the screen resets). Then the game will start you out with two balls again, and there's a chance one of the balls will get stuck at the top while you hit the other one below, resulting in double points as long as you can keep both going. The Cavity variation doesn't work the same way, as the game doesn't start you off with multiple balls each turn and, most likely, you've already freed and lost the extra ones by the time you'd like to get one stuck at the top! I won't say it's impossible, but it's very difficult with the combination of fast-moving balls and small paddles!

Yes, what I try to do is get up through a side without releasing the other balls. Get all three trapped on top for a little while and the score starts rolling up. Easier said than done, at least for me...

I have not been able to do this. I haven't learned how to reliably aim towards the edges. Plus my cx52 doesn't have the reliable accuracy that good 2600 paddles had. I'm starting to hate this game. :)

I have not been able to do this. I haven't learned how to reliably aim towards the edges. Plus my cx52 doesn't have the reliable accuracy that good 2600 paddles had. I'm starting to hate this game. :)

Maybe it is the joystick, but it also takes some practice to get good at directing (and redirecting) a ball to hit the bricks on one of the edges without freeing up one of the other balls. I'm using a standard CX52 right now, and it's behaving very well for me (not jittery or anything!). Glad you were able to track down a copy of the game!

Ran across this video showing the strategy of getting up through the side, some entertaining comments below it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3iDiVygTsY

What kills me is when I have a good first ball, get 8 or 900 points but leave a few bricks. Then struggle to clear the board. All of sudden I'm on ball 4 and just starting the second board, wait what just happened?

I couldn't get this to work right in emulation. I set it up to use the mouse, but it keeps becoming unresponsive. Here's a score just for the sake of posting something.

Super Breakout: 38

post-56474-0-35141200-1558899591.png

The only Breakout here is my stress rash from trying to play this in kat5200!

I couldn't get this to work right in emulation. I set it up to use the mouse, but it keeps becoming unresponsive. Here's a score just for the sake of posting something.

Super Breakout: 38

The only Breakout here is my stress rash from trying to play this in kat5200!

So the mouse works for a while, then stops responding and it doesn't work anymore after that?

So the mouse works for a while, then stops responding and it doesn't work anymore after that?

To be more specific, it works for a while, then for some unknown reason stops moving to the right side of the screen. Sometimes you can't even move past the center of the screen. It might be a problem with the emulator, or with my mouse, or who knows what, but I've given up trying to make it work.

To be more specific, it works for a while, then for some unknown reason stops moving to the right side of the screen. Sometimes you can't even move past the center of the screen. It might be a problem with the emulator, or with my mouse, or who knows what, but I've given up trying to make it work.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Congratulations to jnice for breaking the most bricks, with major kudos as well to eegt97 for coming in a very strong second. Thanks to all who played! Montezumas Revenge is coming up next.

jnice - 2,499 - RECORD BREAKER! 11 + 1 = +12

eegt97 - 2,349 - RECORD BREAKER! 10 + 1 = +11

Nuclear Pacman - 720 +9

Cafeman - 545 +8

bemis - 496 +7

Mangia-Boy - 209 +6

Abel MVada - 38 +5