IGNORED

eJagfest date 2-3 November 2019

karri

15 hours ago, karri said:

Sylvester was on easy mode. But the games were pretty much played non stop for two days. So these small games were really appreciated.

The same was true also for competition games like "Growing ties" and "Sky Raider". The two most played games at the stand.

Cool, I'm glad people enjoyed Growing Ties! :)

Thanks again a lot Karri for doing a "world tour" of the Atari Gamer competition games!

I hope you also sold plenty of On Duty (after all the box has Jaguar eyes on it, so the eJagFest is the perfect venue to sell it! ;)).

Edited by drludos
  • Like 2

Nice to hear about the popularity of the compo games, that motivates for Sillyventure!  I have one Lynx 2 with a defect screen, I had planned to come to E jagfest on Sunday for a McWill mod but it did not happen. I have three other Lynxes, 2 still with original screens, but those I want to preserve - believe it or not, there are some advantages the original screens have over the modded ones so if it works fine I recommend to keep it original as long as possible.;-)

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Nice to hear about the popularity of the compo games, that motivates for Sillyventure!  I have one Lynx 2 with a defect screen, I had planned to come to E jagfest on Sunday for a McWill mod but it did not happen. I have three other Lynxes, 2 still with original screens, but those I want to preserve - believe it or not, there are some advantages the original screens have over the modded ones so if it works fine I recommend to keep it original as long as possible.;-)

Good to know - I only have one original Lynx II but it's still working great :).

Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of the original screen over the McWill mod?

6 hours ago, drludos said:

Good to know - I only have one original Lynx II but it's still working great :).

Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of the original screen over the McWill mod?

No doubt, screen mods are essential and vital updates to keep the Lynx and other systems alive, with more and more screens going bad. So I'm not denying the great contributions of McWill and others here.

But, here are some reasons you probably should not replace a working original if not necessary:

The contrast, vivid colors and  clarity of modern screens are striking and fix the biggest issue of the Lynx playing at daylight, but:

- it also emphazizes the low res and low color image of Lynx games

- it loses smoothness of color transitions with a bit too much contrast

- low FPS scrolling becomes very visible with judder/choppy motion

- some colors are displayed less accurate or are quite off

- transparencies effects (e.g. Alpine Games) do not work

So the original screens work like a nice filter to smoothen/masking low color ("create" more for the brain) and low FPS scrolling. 

In dark rooms the high contrast image looks a bit artificial too, I wish there was a function to adjust contrast.

Last but not least:  only a Lynx with an original screen is an original Lynx and the "real thing", especially if you want to play/experience the Lynx games authentically.

I'd say you can compare it to crt television where the pixel graphics were kind of rounded and smoothed out. I like both. I got used to seeing all the square pixels in the "emulation years" (90s-2000s) before getting back into real hardware later in the 2010's. So I have a McWill Lynx 2 and also my original Lynx 2 with original screen and a Lynx I with original screen. It depends on the mood which one to play. ^^

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

I have three lynxes so i habe the chance to get the 2 experiences, but i would have gladly keep the original screens on all if it wasnt for the contrast. Its becoming quite diifficult to see anything as the screen are aging ?

Im lucky to have a Lynx 1 model with a gorgeous looking original screen. Still displays vivid colors with decent contrast, unfortunality it starts to produce ghost lines. Sooner or later all original screens will fade and be replaced by modern screen mods. However that would mean a very unique feature of the Lynx would be lost forever unless some hardware guys find a way to repair those original screens. That would be a nice project I think, repairing and preserving those old screens.

2 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

@agradeneu What do you think of the "simulated" striped mode on the McWill screen? In some games I like to play with that turned on since it's closer to the original.

Yes it looks quite authentic, but it would need an option to adjust/lower the contrast, it's too stark sometimes.  (for my taste at least)

• Like 1

Thanks for the all the details, I wasn't aware of that!

As long my Lynx II keeps working, I'd like to keep it with the original screen to have a "more authentic experience", but I've been curious about the McWill too as the feedback is very positive and the before/after picture are really tempting. Of course, as an homebrew dev, the best solution would be to have at least two Lynxes to have both kind of screens :) (so maybe, someday...)

Edited by drludos
  • Like 1