IGNORED

Playdate: A new handheld console- with a crank?

Tupin

• 1 month later...

My Playdate console arrived yesterday.  But I'm having a problem trying to set it up.  The console asks for a PIN to be entered on their website.  The thing is, I don't know where you enter that information.  I looked in my account with them but I don't see anywhere to enter the PIN.  I did reach out to the company about it.  I'm still waiting to hear from them.  I wasn't expecting this to happen.  Hopefully it gets resolved. 

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:48 AM, Intellivision Master said:

My Playdate console arrived yesterday.  But I'm having a problem trying to set it up.  The console asks for a PIN to be entered on their website.  The thing is, I don't know where you enter that information.  I looked in my account with them but I don't see anywhere to enter the PIN.  I did reach out to the company about it.  I'm still waiting to hear from them.  I wasn't expecting this to happen.  Hopefully it gets resolved. 

You should be able to enter that registration code at https://play.date/pin.

I am in Group 4, so hopefully I get it sometime in the second half of the year. What's crazy is that I pre-ordered just 24 hours after they started taking them. I guess in the first day, they sold 30,000+. My fault for not ordering right away. :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gmaletic said:

Visit https://play.date.pin

(My last URL, the forums auto-included a period at the end. That breaks the URL.)

You should see a giant text field where you can enter your PIN.

That's just it, no text field is showing to indicate where to enter the PIN.  It doesn't make sense.  

14 hours ago, gmaletic said:

Ugh, yes… how did I get that wrong. The above URL is correct.

@Intellivision Master if you are still having problems, DM me and we will get it figured out! Sorry for the troubles.

I was finally able to finish setting up the console.  I scanned the QR code and that worked.  Because trying to enter the PIN on the website wasn't an option.  If only I did the scan sooner.  Anyway, I'm just glad everything is working now.  

• Like 1

I sideloaded a bunch of indie games, and this one is my favorite so far. It's based on the old handheld game, with sounds sampled from the original. The crank gives a physicality to the simple gameplay and it's a neat retro trip. 

https://sidfisk.itch.io/retro-derby

It's based on Digital Derby, which was not a digital game at all!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I hope this is successful enough for them to make a revision with a backlight.  

Amen to that.  Not having a handheld system with a backlight in 2022 is just a bit baffling in my opinion.  Some might disagree, and that is fine.  However, pretty sure I am in the majority all things being said.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I sideloaded a bunch of indie games, and this one is my favorite so far. It's based on the old handheld game, with sounds sampled from the original. The crank gives a physicality to the simple gameplay and it's a neat retro trip. 

https://sidfisk.itch.io/retro-derby

It's based on Digital Derby, which was not a digital game at all!

That is pretty slick.  Makes me wonder if more dedicated handheld type games will be developed and come out for the system.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Not having a handheld system with a backlight in 2022 is just a bit baffling in my opinion.

If they do make a backlit model, hopefully it would have a setting to change brightness.  Also, have the option to turn the console off.  Because the Playdate can't be turned off.  You can only do sleep mode.  It's weird how the console has to stay on all the time.  Which drains battery.  I have my console is sleep mode and the battery symbol keeps going down without using it.  So, perhaps mine is defective.  The website claims 14 days standby time.  I'll have to see if that ends up being true.

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

If they do make a backlit model, hopefully it would have a setting to change brightness.  Also, have the option to turn the console off.  Because the Playdate can't be turned off.  You can only do sleep mode.  It's weird how the console has to stay on all the time.  Which drains battery.  I have my console is sleep mode and the battery symbol keeps going down without using it.  So, perhaps mine is defective.  The website claims 14 days standby time.  I'll have to see if that ends up being true.

Yes, having a fail proof way to turn off the console would be nice.  I do appreciate what the Playdate is all about, but wish they hadn't made it too niche.

• Like 1