IGNORED

OUYA servers shutting down June 25th, 2019

OUYA and Razor Forge TV Game Store going down

Well, it's been about four years or so since Razor acquired OUYA's software side. That gave we OUYA owners some time to enjoy the DRM locked content for a while.

As I said in threads past here and elsewhere, I liked the little cube, Android based or not. The concept of giving an indie developer as chance to have a game on a dedicated made-for-TV console seemed to be pretty enticing, judging by the number of "entities" signed up as developers. It's too bad it all died off.

For me I got exposed to some fun games like "Amazing Frog?", "Donkey Me", "LOVE", "Super Indie Karts", "Fist of Awesome", "Bombsquad", "Clockwork Knight", different levels of emulation, "Rain" (great relaxing background noise with controllable intensity of rain), "Duck Game", "Pinball Arcade" (had lots of free playable tables) and more.

I'll probably hook my system up to peruse the Discovery store for any more freebies.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'm just surprised it was kept up for this long. I never owned an Ouya, but I did get the chance to try one a couple of years ago. The controller was awful, and I personally think it's one of the worst first-party gamepads ever. Granted, you could use a different controller, so that was the least of the system's problems....

Maybe if Ouya hadn't tried to tout itself as "the next big thing" it would've gone a whole lot better.

I keep looking for an android console to do what I wanted from Ouya. I've bought a couple others, a madcatz mojo and a emtec gem box, but they both unfortunately make me see how much closer ouya's software came.

In the end, I really only disliked two things about Ouya--the controller lag and lack of a play store.

They were both large enough problems to really put me off, however.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I got an email from them today. Some things will work, many will not. I would expect things with DLC like Pinball Arcade to break (Kosmic -- if you are reading this, I bet Farsight would give you some store credit elsewhere if you hounded them) ...I mostly used free emulators, which exist elsewhere. I liked MD.Emu because it played 32X games.

Their letter

OUYA & Razer Forge TV Services Shutdown

Thank you for your loyalty to OUYA Gaming and Razer Forge TV.

We're writing to let you know that these platforms will be shutdown and no longer available for usage on June 25, 2019.

Your Account:

On June 25, 2019 your OUYA / Razer Cortex account will be disabled. So, we encourage you to utilize your account funds prior to the shutdown.

Games/Gameplay:

After June 25, 2019 continued gameplay will vary depending on the individual game developers, but the games will no longer be available on the OUYA platform. Contact the developers for more information.

We thank you for your loyalty over the years and hope you've enjoyed the service. With the innovations continually happening in the gaming industry, we're looking forward to bringing more great gaming options in the future.

Best Regards,

The Razer Team

I got an email from them today. Some things will work, many will not. I would expect things with DLC like Pinball Arcade to break (Kosmic -- if you are reading this, I bet Farsight would give you some store credit elsewhere if you hounded them) ...I mostly used free emulators, which exist elsewhere. I liked MD.Emu because it played 32X games.

Their letter

I just got that letter last night.

I tried that Genesis emulator. It played Sega CD stuff seemingly well, or at least "Sewer Shark" anyways.

I started downloading as much free stuff as I could last night. I'll continue for the next month or so. Obviously, I'm avoiding anything that will clearly stop working once the servers shut down, but I believe most of the games I have will continue to work without server support. I noticed a lot of my emulators had updates available, so I'll probably update everything one last time as well. I was lucky enough to get my OUYA pretty cheap, so I never felt that I didn't get my monies worth. It's just a shame because the system had so much potential.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope they provide a patch to unlock the system before they shut everything down. Bricking something someone's paid for would be wrong.

(3rd place I've said this.)

That would be nice- I've actually attempted to buy an ouya a couple times this year, but it's always fallen through. I suppose that was a blessing in disguise. I still think I'd kinda like one though, even if it does end up a paperweight.

• Like 1

Their letter

I want to say pinball should work as it did not rely on Ouya for authentication.

I downloaded a crapton of tables on Android before they shuttered Williams/Bally, and I have everything they ever released on Wii-U.

• Like 2

That would be nice- I've actually attempted to buy an ouya a couple times this year, but it's always fallen through. I suppose that was a blessing in disguise. I still think I'd kinda like one though, even if it does end up a paperweight.

Considered it when they were in Target, but $99 was too much for what I would've considered a novelty item.

• Like 1

I want to say pinball should work as it did not rely on Ouya for authentication.

I downloaded a crapton of tables on Android before they shuttered Williams/Bally, and I have everything they ever released on Wii-U.

I think it should too. After Ouya stopped developers from uploading updates to the main server, Pinball Arcade still updated and seemed to function, showing the replacement lineup of tables. If memory serves, it still allowed you to buy tables.

Bombsquad I think works the same way. You can buy tickets through the app rather than the Ouya store.

• 3 months later...

Today for his 5th birthday, my youngest stepson wanted to play "Amazing Frog?" on the Ouya. I had hoped the game still worked as I hooked the system up. When the menu came up, the top portion of the screen was devoid of titles to purchase, as expected. I plunged into "Play" to see what we could see. 

My games were there, all ready to go. "Amazing Frog" worked fine but stated it could not connect to servers. I found that the game would not start by hitting "O", which loads up the info screen. I had to press "U" to launch, which took a bit to get used to.

My kids played the Party Mode until my step-son cried because he was getting killed...a lot. I moved them onto "Bombsquad", which also worked. After more crying we moved to MAME to play TMNT, which made all happy.

After my crew beat that game ($300 in credit later) I took control of the system to test out a handful of games:

Fist of Awesome-works

Tetris-needs login

MotorBike(?)- works. Kids busted guts when I crashed

Pinball Arcade-free tables work but got asked for log in when trying other tables

Vertex  Blaster-works

Acorn...something ,(squirrel tactical game)-works

Super Indie Kart-works

No Brake Valet-works

There was another title I had that didn't work but I'll be dipped to remember what it was.

• Like 3

Great to hear that Vertex Blaster still works, as I really enjoyed that game!

After the servers shut down, I tried out a few games to see which ones worked. I was disappointed that my Pinball Arcade tables were lost, and my copy of Final Fantasy III wouldn't start, either. Not sure about the status of some of the other games I purchased.

• 1 month later...

I had changed routers since I had the Ouya on last, so it's not trying to connect. Started to put in the password for the new system and stopped. Maybe that was a good thing.

I'll try to sideload some stuff later, I had the old Sirius app in there but I know it's been updated since I last used it and didn't bother seeing if it would work.

Edited by frank_c

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IT LIVES!!!!!!

In a nutshell-Internet Archivists, Ouya enthusiasts and even some old Ouya employees (according to the article), an alternate server was set up that should unlock most purchases.  You'll have to root your Ouya, install a couple apps and redirect your cube to the new server (instructions here) and that should be it.

There's even a new community driven site, OuyaWorld, that just had a Game Jam for the system. That and the system's "resurrection" floored me. For a system that got lambasted (for good reasons) and is deemed a failure, it has some pretty strong community support to raise its online infrastructure from the dead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

IT LIVES!!!!!!

In a nutshell-Internet Archivists, Ouya enthusiasts and even some old Ouya employees (according to the article), an alternate server was set up that should unlock most purchases.  You'll have to root your Ouya, install a couple apps and redirect your cube to the new server (instructions here) and that should be it.

There's even a new community driven site, OuyaWorld, that just had a Game Jam for the system. That and the system's "resurrection" floored me. For a system that got lambasted (for good reasons) and is deemed a failure, it has some pretty strong community support to raise its online infrastructure from the dead.

That's pretty cool that people are so passionate about it