IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

3 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Much of my stuff was directly inspired by Analmux's researches and experiments, in fact.

I was pretty surprised to find out I've came to a lot of the same conclusions he had shared over 10 years ago, some with almost no attention received for some reason.

His legacy still lives on within the things I am experimenting with, I hope!

Keep going... it's great work.

Supposedly Analmux documented a bunch of things about POKEY (in Dutch) during his research/experimentation; not sure if anyone was able to get copies of that or not.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VinsCool said:

His legacy still lives on within the things I am experimenting with, I hope!

Awesome thought and much appreciated, this new stuff.  I can't remember the name of that awesome POKEY tune he did - composium or something similar sounding?  I HATE it when something is on tip of my tongue but I just can't remember.

EDIT - It was instrumentarium!  I knew I'd remember it.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 11:00 PM, Stephen said:

Awesome thought and much appreciated, this new stuff.  I can't remember the name of that awesome POKEY tune he did - composium or something similar sounding?  I HATE it when something is on tip of my tongue but I just can't remember.

EDIT - It was instrumentarium!  I knew I'd remember it.

What if I told you, we've finally come full circle? :D 

There is a lot more coming, let's just say there are now 5 different patches brought back to life, and COULD be switched on the fly now.

People kept reminding to me I broke too much compatibility with my bloated driver patch, so why not just have multiple versions built-in.

Let's then have the enjoyment of listening to all the good tunes without juggling with old .exe hacks anymore :P 

More context from this commit: https://github.com/VinsCool/RASTER-Music-Tracker/commit/c3c267f6b9405dc26b290ef969eb8dee3f5e5ef5

See you later!

• Like 10

Prince of Persia (Atari 8-bit Port) - Soundtrack Playback with RMT

Finally, this patched driver had some very cool things that were not working anymore so it is nice to be able to listen to the soundtrack in-app once again :D 

The code I added yesterday for switching between RMT driver patches on the fly is starting to grow on me, it works so well!

I should have done this so much earlier, haha 😅

• Like 9

A tune I made 2 years ago called "De la Bonne Compote".
Played and recorded from the Prince of Persia RMT patch.

NTSC 1xVBI, there are 2 other subtunes included but they are actually just scrapped patterns.

De La Bonne Compote v2.xex

I also have got some RMT progress, the codebase will now compile with the C++20 compiler

There was quite a bunch of edits involved due to the things that changed between C++14 and C++20, I will most likely post a commit to the git later tonight.

I also realised it used an ancient version of DirectSound, so after bumping the version up it gained a noticeable sound quality and stability improvement too.

Unfortunately I have not yet figured out how to build a 64bit version, but this isn't a big deal since it already works pretty well right now.

That's all for today, see you next time :D 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I think I forgot to post this one here the other day.

It's just another old tune I never really finished but played back in my RMT fork, this time it's using the original RMT 1.28 driver for playing it back, since it was what I used to compose it at that time.

Just like the Sketch 86 from the other day, the POKEY registers were dumped, optimised then compressed directly from RMT to the VUPlayer 2.0 export binary.

Also I forgot the binaries so here they are for both this one and the Sketch 86 module:

Cognitive Distortion V9.xexCognitive Distortion V9.rmtsketch 86 v5.xexsketch 86 v5.rmt

XEX are made for PAL but should work fine in NTSC too.

RMT modules will work best with latest RMT git builds, 64bit executables can now be output thanks to ivop for the pull request with the improvements.

• Like 7

Used the Two-Tone Filter voice in CH1, modulated by the voice in CH2, which itself was High Pass Filter modulated by CH4.

This effectively left only the voice in CH3 as truly free to use for a different purpose.

This was a pretty short edit of an old tune I made, as a result for testing some of the most recent RMT git revisions I have done over the last few days.

The Two-Tone voice is definitely something that will deserve the spotlight in the future.

No binary for now, but I will make sure to post it later when I remember to upload it from my laptop.

I actually forgot to post this here a few hours ago, and being on mobile away from my computer is the reason why the binary is missing, sorry for being so clumsy! Hehe...

• Like 12

9 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Used the Two-Tone Filter voice in CH1, modulated by the voice in CH2, which itself was High Pass Filter modulated by CH4.

This effectively left only the voice in CH3 as truly free to use for a different purpose.

This was a pretty short edit of an old tune I made, as a result for testing some of the most recent RMT git revisions I have done over the last few days.

The Two-Tone voice is definitely something that will deserve the spotlight in the future.

Very unique sound - violin like.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Nice job! I sense more cool NES/Gameboy music in the Atari's future. 

Here's the original for reference:

Zelda - Oracle of Seasons.gbs

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Nice job! I sense more cool NES/Gameboy music in the Atari's future. 

Here's the original for reference:

Zelda - Oracle of Seasons.gbs 96.5 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks!

Speaking of which, here's the files I forgot to post yesterday:

Tarm Ruins Two-Tone Edit.xex Tarm Ruins Two-Tone Edit.rmt 

XEX is NTSC 1xVBI.

RMT requires 1.34 and later for best results.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:00 PM, VinsCool said:

This was a pretty short edit of an old tune I made...

I'm curious...

You've changed the part where the original bass (really just lower) voice arpeggiates on a diminished chord (when it starts to play double-time).

It starts where you're repeating: E F A B, whereas the original repeats: Eb Gb A C

Was this just a personal, stylistic choice, or were you avoiding the diminished for a some technical reason?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

I'm curious...

You've changed the part where the original bass (really just lower) voice arpeggiates on a diminished chord (when it starts to play double-time).

It starts where you're repeating: E F A B, whereas the original repeats: Eb Gb A C

Was this just a personal, stylistic choice, or were you avoiding the diminished for a some technical reason?

No I very much have made a transcription error, but I didn't actually notice anything wrong until I actually have uploaded the Two-Tone edit of the tune and listened to the GBC original a bit later.

The sort of things that may happen when a .mod made by someone else was not used as a template... 🤫

I didn't really have a good ear a few years ago, so I totally missed that, lol

Let's just pretend it was indeed a stylistic choice and not a mistake since it still sounds ok to me :D

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, VinsCool said:

No I very much have made a transcription error, but I didn't actually notice anything wrong until I actually have uploaded the Two-Tone edit of the tune and listened to the GBC original a bit later.

Ah, ok... I wondered if that might have been the case.

5 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Let's just pretend it was indeed a stylistic choice and not a mistake since it still sounds ok to me :D

Oh, yeah, it still sounds good; and in fact it's interesting to hear musical pieces varied like that. I was unfamiliar with the tune, frankly; but when I listened to the original, the diminished arpeggios stood out immediately; and I didn't remember hearing those in your version. So, I decided to examine it a little closer. I actually just worked out the parts on my bass guitar by ear here last night. Pretty fast arpeggios.

Anyway... carry on... cool instruments and tunes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...