IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

On 7/4/2020 at 10:22 PM, VinsCool said:

Making some progress with sound design in 15KHz mode.

An updated version of the tune in the ideas video posted earlier.

I'll attach the current .xex below.
It's still unfinished as it is.

Sketch 26 V8.xex 6.86 kB · 4 downloads

Cool and powerful sounding bass. The high trills are definitely out of key in some parts, though.

• Like 1

Not a big achievement by itself but I figured out how to get low square bass in 64khz mode, after looking at the thread made by Synthpopalooza.
This kind of solve some tuning problems and also allow me to have nice pitch control on the bass, using the exact same idea from the sketch from the other day.

Very unfinished song idea but here goes a xex

Sketch 29 V3.xex

I liked your 15kHz version way more. Except for the arpeggios, but that can be fixed. Either try what emkay suggested, or limit your arpeggios to (0,x) where x can be 4, 5, 7 or C. Or even a single tone like I did with Procrastinate. 15kHz is daunting, but your bass is so cool! And the drums sound better, too. Also, sometimes you can try to transpose the whole song up or down one semitone. Some keys are less out of tune than others ;)

Edit: BTW short cut for enable/disable channel is CTRL-ALT-{1,2,3,4}. Very handy :)

Edit2: you can make a single 15kHz square wave bass less dull by adding some vibrato. Either 00,01 or 00,01,00,FF. I never use the automatic vibrato.

And about the arpeggios, if you want to keep a three note arpeggio, you can also use other chord inversions. 00,04,07 is the same as FB,00,04 is the same as F8,FB,00. This is a major chord.

Do you know about the pentatonic scale? That also helps a lot when improvising on top of a chord progression :) 

Edit3: sorry, I keep editing, but in 64kHz mode with a 16-bit bass, you cannot add vibration. Or slides. I believe that's one of the things emkay is always complaining about ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Thanks 1

Btw: The ResQ tune seems to be a very great ground for developing POKEY sounds. 

I spent some hours today on it, for some changes. I think it's worth, because the main lead  is perfectly fitting, and the lead bass reminds a lot of the Super Cars 2 bass. 

Some changes on the drums and fx, also one bass is changed back to gen A but an octave lower.  Seems, some volume corrections were still needed. But it's enough for now :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Btw: The ResQ tune seems to be a very great ground for developing POKEY sounds. 

I spent some hours today on it, for some changes. I think it's worth, because the main lead  is perfectly fitting, and the lead bass reminds a lot of the Super Cars 2 bass. 

Some changes on the drums and fx, also one bass is changed back to gen A but an octave lower.  Seems, some volume corrections were still needed. But it's enough for now :)

This sounds really nice, I like the lead!
Can you share your modified rmt? :)

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Edit3: sorry, I keep editing, but in 64kHz mode with a 16-bit bass, you cannot add vibration. Or slides. I believe that's one of the things emkay is always complaining about ;)

I actually did add slides, and I can also add vibrato if I want to.
It is reported to be 16 Bit in Altirra, but I feel like I'm actually using 8 bit scale but at 2 octaves lower, very similar to 15khz.

I have to say I kind of understand why emkay would dislike the way it is implemented too, because when I came up with the sketch with my low square bass in 64khz, I just kept scratching my head because it didn't make sense to me.
I especially felt confused when I realised the distortion "6" could be patched in a different RMT version to use Square instead of the usual Atari bass.
So my workaround is kind of weird, but at least I can still somehow use it.

6 hours ago, VinsCool said:

I actually did add slides, and I can also add vibrato if I want to.
It is reported to be 16 Bit in Altirra, but I feel like I'm actually using 8 bit scale but at 2 octaves lower, very similar to 15khz.

As the resolution is 16 bit on the 16 bit channel, you have to adjust both channels to get 16 bit manipulations. 

The 8 bit scale you change then , is totally off. 

Try it: play a note on channel 4 using the 16 bit. Then use a silent instrument on channel 3, and do slides on that instrument. It will change the frequency on channel 4. 

Or in other words: the "8 bit resolution" gets worse on a single 16 bit channel. So a Tracker needs to handle a 16 bit voice with 2 channels. RMT is literally denying that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 5:47 PM, tane said:

I found these time ago, I've been searching several days where I got it, with no luck. It's dated 6-Jan-2010, and it's unfinished with empty spaces.

If someone recognizes it's name, just scream.

These 2 are incredibly familiar, I know I heard them somewhere.
I cannot recall their titles, however.

9 hours ago, Paul Westphal said:

Well now emkay, that is pretty badass. Great work!

After seeing the into on and on, I was thinking "what the heck ...  ?"

The detailed background could move linear to zoom in, while the "protagonist" needs very low details, it could be done using PM shaping, looking like a filled vector 3D object. Let's say half of the screen width sized.  The presentation could be done with some 3D calculations. The shape needs to have the borders clean, the filling is just there by setting the  bits of the shape . The Animation could run mainly at 60 fps. The movement would be enough with 6-10 fps, and where time isn't enough, just change parts of it at 30 fps, and add some flicker that suggest more colors as well.

17 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Can we have the module, please? :)

emkay seems to ignore requests like this repeatedly. Perhaps you should release them under a share-alike license (CC-SA or GPL3). If then emkay releases youtube movies or .xex files that are modified versions of your work, he HAS to release the source .rmt file! If not, you can sue ;)

Edited by ivop

22 minutes ago, ivop said:

emkay seems to ignore requests like this repeatedly. Perhaps you should release them under a share-alike license (CC-SA or GPL3). If then emkay releases youtube movies or .xex files that are modified versions of your work, he HAS to release the source .rmt file! If not, you can sue ;)

If coders were as clever writing software for the Atari. 

4 hours ago, ivop said:

*sigh* can't you take a little joke?

Just show him what you modified. It is HIS work of art, not yours.

Thanks for pointing it out.

So, in your opinion, halfway is same as final. Very interesting.

Even my addition might just point to 70% of a final result.

If we assume that your opinion is common in the Atari scene, it is no wonder, thing won't get final.

3 hours ago, emkay said:

Thanks for pointing it out.

So, in your opinion, halfway is same as final. Very interesting.

Yes, it's fascinating. IMHO if you stand on the shoulders of giants, you credit them for their work and release your improvements to the public.

Calling Vinscool's work "halfway" is actually an insult. You could not create such an rmt file by yourself if your life depended on it. Converting mod files and hoping all voices are in the same key is nowhere near what Vinscool does.

3 hours ago, emkay said:

If we assume that your opinion is common in the Atari scene, it is no wonder, thing won't get final.

If you assume, you make an ass out of you and me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Wow - all I have to do is scan a work from Michelangelo, change a colour (or make David's micro-penis a bit bigger) and I can claim the masterpiece as mine.  I love your way of thinking - it explains a lot.

lol

Now that you're mentioning that. It's exactly where people build handbags. 

Normally cost of materials 50 Cent. Anyone sells them for 5 Dollars. 

Then someone changes the cutting a little, pulls a unique sign on it , and sells the 50 Cent bag for 5000 Dollars. 

But that is not the point. 

I very often mentioned what is missing to create the missing stuff for the Atari. 

There would be cooperation necessary.  But people know it better.