IGNORED

What's Your Pipe Dream Games On The Jag.

Atariboy2600

Well my preference is for classic video games like Pac-Man, Missile Command & Asteroids, and games that involve an element of puzzle/strategy and simulation/mission based games, not so keen on Shoot 'em u's & platformers.

So leaving aside the simple graphics of the classic games I would have liked...

BIWN, Eerievale, American Hero, Veruna's forces and The Assassin completed (Space Hulk in the absence of Veruna's Forces)

Tie Fighter

Golf, I think the Jag is capable something equivalent of early version of Tiger Woods.

Snooker

WWII flight sim, something like Heroes of the Pacific but without the arcade style end of level type boss.

Edited by Stephen Moss

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You own the game on the PS4, but your dream is to have it ported to the Jaguar so the box can look good on your shelf?

Yes actually, I'm not a huge fan of digital downloads for video games. I prefer to have the cart or disc. I see the usefulness of digital only from Sony's perspective with no overhead on disc production. But having grown up with having my games on cart or disc is my preference. And if Polybius ever released on Jag, SNES, Genny, etc., I would be happy to buy the game again to have a physical copy.

• Like 1

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You own the game on the PS4, but your dream is to have it ported to the Jaguar so the box can look good on your shelf?

Let the man dream. I think he believes it would have good symmetry. I'm sure he wants to play it on the jag not just have it for look. Other wise he could just make a mock up with with dumby with repro parts

Just a side comment, but the 3DO version of Star Control II was pretty freakin' awesome, I agree.

Was it better than the PC version? I had it for the 3DO... but never really got around to playing it. Eventually, I sold my 3DO and gave all my games away...

Was it better than the PC version? I had it for the 3DO... but never really got around to playing it. Eventually, I sold my 3DO and gave all my games away...

Yeah, it was better (we're talking the original SCII DOS game)... good enough so that I played it all the way through. The voice acting was cheesy but cool, and the planetary lander would actually land in the large window under the planet graphic, rather than the tiny status window on the lower right. This was probably the most significant difference, since you could easily spend 20-50% of the game driving the lander around.

The Ur-Quan Masters was an open source remake using the 3do code, so it's better then the 3do version and as far as I know it's still free. Also there were lots of fanmade upgraded sound track packs and other neat bonuses (including an entire second mission, effectively a sequel). So there's no cause for tears if you have no 3do (although it's still a top ten game for that console easy imho).

Yeah, it was better (we're talking the original SCII DOS game)... good enough so that I played it all the way through. The voice acting was cheesy but cool, and the planetary lander would actually land in the large window under the planet graphic, rather than the tiny status window on the lower right. This was probably the most significant difference, since you could easily spend 20-50% of the game driving the lander around.

The Ur-Quan Masters was an open source remake using the 3do code, so it's better then the 3do version and as far as I know it's still free. Also there were lots of fanmade upgraded sound track packs and other neat bonuses (including an entire second mission, effectively a sequel). So there's no cause for tears if you have no 3do (although it's still a top ten game for that console easy imho).

Yeah, I had SC2 for DOS when I was in high school... I can't really remember when it came out, but I would have played it in the ~1994 time frame. LOVED the game.

I also had a Gravis Ultrasound at the time, and Star Control 2 was uniquely designed to take advantage of the GUS capabilities. Sound quality was *AMAZING* with the GUS... but kind of so-so on the Sound Blaster.

Yeah, I played UrQuan masters too, excellent upgrade... makes sense now, it seemed and played better. They must have made the 3DO version after the PC version?

• Like 1

Yeah, I played UrQuan masters too, excellent upgrade... makes sense now, it seemed and played better. They must have made the 3DO version after the PC version?

Yep... And it's the only console with the port, I think.

I always say this whenever SCII and GUS come up in the same subject... If you have both a sound blaster and a GUS in the same PC and you are trying to run Star Control II (in DOS of course) with the GUS, you must zero out your "BLASTER=" variable with a SET command before you run the game.

I know it's off-topic but it took me years to figure out, and that little tidbit of info wasn't online anywhere then, so I'm spreading it.. heh.

• Like 1

Yep... And it's the only console with the port, I think.

I always say this whenever SCII and GUS come up in the same subject... If you have both a sound blaster and a GUS in the same PC and you are trying to run Star Control II (in DOS of course) with the GUS, you must zero out your "BLASTER=" variable with a SET command before you run the game.

I know it's off-topic but it took me years to figure out, and that little tidbit of info wasn't online anywhere then, so I'm spreading it.. heh.

Yeah, I had the full length GUS at the time, awesome. Later, I ended up getting an SB-16, a Roland SCC-1, and then... a Gravis UltraSound ACE. One of the dumbest things I did was get rid of the ACE. I paid ~$79 for it when I worked at CompUSA during the Summer when I was in high school. Wish I still had it. The price for Gravis Ultrasounds now are totally crazy!

• Like 1

I can only imagine if something like Last Strike, Protector or just good games in general would have come out when I first purchased my Jaguar in 1994... Which I still have.

I can remember the long droughts between games and feeling let down and when I finally got Checkered Flag, Kasumi Ninja and Club Drive. I wanted to love Trevor McFur but I thought it was dreadful. They just weren't great games. Not enough Dooms, AVPs or Tempest 2000s.

Too bad the Jaguar didn't get more quality platformers or shooters back in the day. 2-D just seemed to be an afterthought to the regime at Atari. 3-D was the rage and the Jag, at least to me, couldn't cut when it came to 3-D.

• Like 1

Back to pipe dreams...

This one I was lucky enough to find back in the day. It's a perfect blend between Doom and Asteroids, but also peppy with a sense of humor, and a great sense of momentum and getting knocked around. Played it for hours.

Nice that I don't have to say "it's what Asteroids 3D could have been." because it did and it is. It's just under another name and it's for DOS.

I actually preferred a gamepad over a mouse on it. Also... but saying without a real tecnical grasp on the hardware... Maaaaybe possible on the Jaguar.

There was a PC DOS shareware-era game called Skyroads that I could see working as a Jaguar game. Anyone here remember this?

I always loved the DOS games and definitely remember Sky Roads. Sadly, like most DOS games at the time, I only ever had the chance to play the shareware versions. Rocket Raid was freeware and I remember how addictive it was, Loved the music so it felt like it would have went alongside Tempest 2000 well if updated properly. Naturally it wasn't ideal for a console since it used a mouse but very fun... probably would still be a blast to play if you had a way.

• Like 1