IGNORED

The Month of M*U*L*E

If you do poorly, it will tell you life will be hard and few trading ships will come your way

I played it on NES. I out-capitalismized the others to hell. And then 12 months are over and the game ended and I was never sure wether I had won or not. If the goal is to be the richest at the end of the cycle, then I won all the games lol if not, then I failed miserably.

I played it on NES. I out-capitalismized the others to hell. And then 12 months are over and the game ended and I was never sure wether I had won or not. If the goal is to be the richest at the end of the cycle, then I won all the games lol if not, then I failed miserably.

ahh-- if you sabotaged the competition too much, they will produce little, and the "colony score" suffers.

There are two ways to play, you can go for the best colony score, or the best personal score or some combo of both. My brother always wanted to get the best colony score possible, Me? I thought it was more fun to try to price-gouge the competition. Needless to say, he and I argued a lot when playing together!

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe it's time I learned how to play this game ...

Yes after many years of play in 2 player mode we usually try and win and more importantly bear each other but we also try and look after the colony. In 2 player usually if 1 player is trying to stitch up the Mechtrons to make money on the Food or Energy the other player intervenes, usually let them invest and get up and running before disrupting their plans in a cunning fashion, all the time planning for the mass Cystite haul towards the end.

I often try and do stuff with the Smithore, even deliberately freeing the mules but I never quite master it, still it's fun trying!

spookt/anyone totally new to the game, just play, there's only a few things to learn for the basics so you can copy the Mechtrons to start with and will soon figure things out. Plus here you get 2 extra games for the tournament so take the plunge ;)

preppie - what did you do in the end to get it working?

I'm still on emulator, just avoid the wumpus.

OK I'll see if I can find good image for emulation - if anyone else has found one please post.

Played my second game tonight, Bonzoid, interesting game where I switched about a bit and rode a wave of high energy and then food which kept the Mechtrons' very poor so I bagged loads of plots - ended up with 18 of the suckers!!! The downside I was a bit late with the crystite and a 2nd pirate ship on round 11 cost me several thousand [shakes fist] !

Bonzoid 39,806 the colony a paltry 71,163 - the 3rd Mechtron was only on a lowly 7,333 :grin:

post-19705-0-11053800-1559248987.jpg

post-19705-0-75732400-1559248994.jpg

• Like 1

There's a lot about the internals of the game on Kroah's Game Reverse Engineering Page.

If you manage to learn it all and keep track of it you must be practically unbeatable :-D. I obviously didn't as I only scored

22.027 with the green Bonzoid, ending up third. Two runaway mules because I tried some last-minute installations on extra plots I had bought plus a bad hand in getting Crystite plots.

post-4219-0-11999200-1559252524.png

• Like 1

I just played my first MULE game in a couple years. I messed up badly with land grants, didn't end up with any good Crystite plots.

Still managed to come in second place with a colony score of 104,000. I made a lot of money off of food and energy shortages in the last few rounds, and that saved me. Was playing as a Packer.

• Like 2

I just played my first MULE game in a couple years. I messed up badly with land grants, didn't end up with any good Crystite plots.

Still managed to come in second place with a colony score of 104,000. I made a lot of money off of food and energy shortages in the last few rounds, and that saved me. Was playing as a Packer.

If you want to use that as a warm up go that's ok - if you want it to count post your individual score and play your flapper game next ;)

If you want to use that as a warm up go that's ok - if you want it to count post your individual score and play your flapper game next ;)

I'll go with warm-up. I will need to start taking pictures of the screens so I have the exact score

• Like 1

Mama said there'll be days like this

There'll be days like this, mama said

Ok, things didn't really take off to a great start. Some early smithoring, moving to crystite after the others had explored it for a while, instant Pirate Ship once I went mining for it. Bought a super expensive plot $1561 partly by mistake and partly to get the two-next-to-eachother bonus. Lost my best crystite near the end. Went from #1 to #4 in the last four rounds. Bleah, but the rules are that every score counts.

Carlsson (Violet Gollumer) - 18206 pts, fourth place!

Colony total - 83611 pts (though we don't play for colony scores)

post-5454-0-85894500-1559319238.jpg

Rd Land Auction       Event              Smit Crys Food Ener  Order
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1 --                 Pest Attack RC       57   --   15   10  GC BC VH RC
 2 560BC              Planetquake          43   --   43   10  GC BC VH RC
 3 504GC 444NS        Meteorite Strike     29   84   47   12  GC RC BC VH
 4 398RC 338NS        Acid Rain Storm      85  116   20   30  BC GC VH RC
 5 889GC 969BC        Pirate Ship (*)      43   --   15   72  GC RC VH BC
 6 --                 Planetquake          43  116   34  110  GC BC VH RC
 7 909GC              Sunspot Activity     68  108  139   51  GC BC VH RC
 8 1561VH             Pest Attack GC       43  132  224   10  GC VH BC RC
 9 2045GC             Acid Rain Storm      57  100  169   10  VH GC RC BC
10 --                 Sunspot Activity     50  136   75   10  GC VH RC BC
11 --                 Pirate Ship          64   --   24   10  GC RC VH BC
12 --                 Transport Ship       36   80   15   10  GC RC BC VH
  • Like 1

Nice, we're already up to a half dozen participants with more to come.

Should we determine the order of species as therealbountybob has set them up? Flapper, Bonzoid, Gollumer, Leggite, Mechtron, Packer, Spheroid, Humanoid?

Optional but it might be nice :thumbsup:

Mama said there'll be days like this

There'll be days like this, mama said

Ok, things didn't really take off to a great start. Some early smithoring, moving to crystite after the others had explored it for a while, instant Pirate Ship once I went mining for it. Bought a super expensive plot $1561 partly by mistake and partly to get the two-next-to-eachother bonus. Lost my best crystite near the end. Went from #1 to #4 in the last four rounds. Bleah, but the rules are that every score counts.

Carlsson (Violet Gollumer) - 18206 pts, fourth place!

Colony total - 83611 pts (though we don't play for colony scores)

ouch! Yes post all scores everyone, even the blow outs :-o

Here's my 2nd game, bit better but 3 planetquakes each of which destroyed at least one of my mines wasn't fun

month of mule 2

Thanks bob, I downloaded that atr and it's working properly. The copy I had from atarimania crashed when you found the wampus and also you can't see the mules in the store (which makes it hard to decide if it's worth setting them free). Hopefully my scores will go up now.

Edited by Preppie
  • Like 2

Either I am far worse at M.U.L.E. than I thought I was, or I've had rather unlucky games lately.

Crystite mining leggite here, which quickly rose to the lead which means if you don't make your own food or energy you are soon going down again. Due to that I keep detailed stats, I think I can see patterns that the computers can't. Perhaps I should rather go with the flow and not put so much effort into number crunching. In round 10, I thought there was 100% likeliness that the pirates would arrive in the next round, so I sold 14 units of crystite to blue computer for a meager $68 each. However as the pirates never showed up, what would've been a $952 gain turned out to be a $2016 loss. Yet all of sudden I had a 256 point lead over red prior to the last round, which increased to a 283 point lead over red player but I never accounted for blue player coming from behind and win it all.

Carlsson (Violet Leggite, 2nd place) - 20406 pts

Colony Total - 78943 pts

Rd Land Auction       Event              Smit Crys Food Ener  Order
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1 --                 Sunspot Activity     43   76   15   10  RC GC BC VH
 2 --                 Acid Rain Storm      --  140   30   12  VH GC RC BC
 3 472BC 652GC        Crazy Mule GC        61  136   37   56  VH RC GC BC
 4 756VH 700RC        Fire in Store       110   76   91  113  GC RC VH BC
 5 812GC              Acid Rain Storm      85   72  183  209  RC GC VH BC
 6 1136RC 1076NS      Planetquake          36  104  235  167  RC GC VH BC
 7 --                 Acid Rain Storm      50   60  116  160  RC GC VH BC
 8 542RC              Planetquake          50  124   45  112  RC GC VH BC
 9 --                 Meteorite Strike BC  36  128   16   34  RC GC VH BC
10 --                 Planetquake (*)      50   68   15   10  RC GC VH BC
11 --                 Sunspot Activity     36  140   15   10  VH RC BC GC
12 --                 Transport Ship       57   76   24   10  BC VH RC GC

post-5454-0-82544000-1559431173.jpg

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Either I am far worse at M.U.L.E. than I thought I was, or I've had rather unlucky games lately.

Crystite mining leggite here, which quickly rose to the lead which means if you don't make your own food or energy you are soon going down again. Due to that I keep detailed stats, I think I can see patterns that the computers can't. Perhaps I should rather go with the flow and not put so much effort into number crunching. In round 10, I thought there was 100% likeliness that the pirates would arrive in the next round, so I sold 14 units of crystite to blue computer for a meager $68 each. However as the pirates never showed up, what would've been a $952 gain turned out to be a $2016 loss. Yet all of sudden I had a 256 point lead over red prior to the last round, which increased to a 283 point lead over red player but I never accounted for blue player coming from behind and win it all.

Carlsson (Violet Leggite, 2nd place) - 20406 pts

Colony Total - 78943 pts

It's a tricky one as I'm sure I'll be tempeted into a bit of Smithore manipulation after a few goes, so far played it safe. I suspect the best game would be with the smithore but it takes more skill. Yes the downside in 1 player is the Mechtrons probably will not cover the food/energy until it's stuffed you up for a round or two, in 2 player the other Human probably will sell you it at an exorbitant rate of course!

On our goes not seen many fires yet compared to 2 player but it's early doors :)

Bluecat has another score to post :waving:

• Like 1

I presume the green two star smithore plot with a mountain northeast of your southmost crystite was a high crystite plot? Exceptional score, I didn't think you could reach that far against three computer players.

Thanks☺ It went really well! No pirates and i think it was only one planetquake. Two fire in the store, but it was hard to boost the price up, i releast several mules but four or five was still in when the turn come to the com. and they used 3, so the smithore only went up to 90 or something like that.

High food and energy price the last few months. Overall it was really fun playing tonight

The last high crystite plot is in the river down south. You see the purple has a medium.

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with my round as a purple gollumer, usually my favourite character. I only scored 29,631 and it was a poor colony 76,871 Pirates came on round 3 when I had 3 units! No fires so not much money from food or energy. Hopefully better next time.

post-22785-0-02613200-1559587391_thumb.jpg

post-22785-0-70967300-1559587510_thumb.jpg

• Like 2