IGNORED

Let's have an Adventure.

Retrospect

I've been tinkering with an old game I found on the Gamebase, called Adventureland for extended basic by TSV Videogames.

I've added a title screen, "help" command, medieval style font, and it's been compiled to make it a little more bearable to play.

Have fun.

ADVENTUR-X.zip - Extended Basic

EA5.zip - Editor Assembler option 5

post-34058-0-34709900-1559217561.png

post-34058-0-57798700-1559217547.png

• Like 14

I remember seeing this one BITD. . .thanks for the update!

You're welcome Ksarul.

It should be noted, though, that whilst I was preparing the game for being compiled I noted that it did seem somewhat "unfinished", there's words in there that don't seem to function, but it plays nicely enough. The torch is an issue and I'm not sure if the score is being added up. I would have fixed it but obviously I couldn't fathom the code.

• Like 1

Here's a modified version of ASD & D's Haunted House adventure, originally in Extended Basic.

This version is compiled, has a new "ghost" sound effect, a new font, and a small graphical title screen that displays a haunted house.

(Saving or loading a game is sadly not possible on this version)

HAUNTED-X.zip < Extended Basic

EA5.zip < Editor Assembler opt.5

post-34058-0-61448300-1559850914.png

post-34058-0-33096200-1559850888.png

• Like 7

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, MikeV said:

These are both very good. Haunted runs impressively better than the original (never heard of the other till now). What software did you utilize to compile the original? Thank you.  MikeV.

Hi Mike.  Retrospect here, I'm having to use a new account as I lost the login details for my old one.  
I used Harry Wilhelm's XB Compiler.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, Firefly said:

Hi Mike.  Retrospect here, I'm having to use a new account as I lost the login details for my old one.  
I used Harry Wilhelm's XB Compiler.

Thanks for the information. I will have to look for a copy of the Compiler as the results are quite impressive (aka you get to die more quickly!) Did you design the unique fonts?

7 hours ago, MikeV said:

Thanks for the information. I will have to look for a copy of the Compiler as the results are quite impressive (aka you get to die more quickly!) Did you design the unique fonts?

I designed the fonts yes.  The package I used to do this was the Magellan program, you can find this on the TI99/4a Development Resources thread, and that's where you'll find the Compiler package (actually it comes with new downloads of Classic99 from Tursi's Harmless Lion website, look in the Contributors folder you get with it and stick the files from Harry Wilhelm into your DSK1 folder, it will then autoboot the great compiler and xb256 package when you select extended basic!)

I recalled a Wilhelm folder (from somewhere) and it turned out to be in Classic, found it last night. I will also check the Magellan program.

When I started using my TI again last Fall I had to (literally) relearn everything. A bit more difficult this time round (and a lot less recall). I started with a couple of very simple (aka Basic) projects that I'd been meaning to do for 20+ years. (Had to start somewhere. They are not up to your standards.) Do you mind if I post them here? Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeV said:

I recalled a Wilhelm folder (from somewhere) and it turned out to be in Classic, found it last night. I will also check the Magellan program.

When I started using my TI again last Fall I had to (literally) relearn everything. A bit more difficult this time round (and a lot less recall). I started with a couple of very simple (aka Basic) projects that I'd been meaning to do for 20+ years. (Had to start somewhere. They are not up to your standards.) Do you mind if I post them here? Thanks again for the help.

I don't mind at all, post whatever you like here.  It's fun to get to grips with, so long as you don't try to take all the steep hill in one go, small steps at a time but eventually you will get to, and exceed, my standard.  I don't possess the knowledge and skills of some of the others round here, there's guys on here can program a TI like Hendrix can play the guitar

10 hours ago, Firefly said:

I don't mind at all, post whatever you like here.  It's fun to get to grips with, so long as you don't try to take all the steep hill in one go, small steps at a time but eventually you will get to, and exceed, my standard.  I don't possess the knowledge and skills of some of the others round here, there's guys on here can program a TI like Hendrix can play the guitar

Thank you for the same. Skill set here was extremely meager from the start.  However, always did enjoy the TI, even when it meets a dead-end. Unfortunately, no guitar player either!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Yeah, and sometimes I feel like smashing it, pouring lighter fluid on it and burning it!

There is a definite advantage to still having a computer that you can simply turn off without undue consequences (most of the time). Saves lighter fluid!

• 4 weeks later...

40 Years later - The Man of Steel Returns...

Bringing back a 40 year old program, especially one written in TI Basic, obviously requires a few words of explanation! Superman first appeared in the Dec. 1980 edition of Creative Computing and was written by Bill Dyck. It was quite complex for its time, utilizing most of the available memory of the then current Home Computers.

I acquired a TI version of Superman in the early '80s on my first cassette purchase from the TI IUG, catalog #1139. The program was marked (TO) "Tape Only", which was fine for it was all I had! About a year later I felt sufficiently acquainted with the TI to modify and re-submit Superman in exchange for "free programs". The main modification was a simple routine to randomly change the screen color each time Superman visited a new location.

It was not until I eventually acquired sufficient hardware to access disk based software that I found out what (TO) actually represented - that it was a cassette program too large to simply "Load and Run" from from disk in TI Basic! My "improvements" accentuated this issue. A little research lead to the discovery of CALL FILES(1), which finally solved the issue. But every time I forgot to use the CALL FILES option an received an error I'd repeat my resolve to "fix that". Eventually, someone else did just that primarily by removing the copious REM statements within the program.

When I finally got back to using the TI I had to begin from scratch. First a TOD game (Sub Level 12) - somewhere on these pages, I have not come across it of late, as I always wanted to construct a 12 level dungeon. Now finally Superman! What's new?

- Increased the Districts from 18 to 30 to make it more challenging.
- They are now arranged in a grid-like pattern rather than a straight line (sequential).
- Superman can now fly in any of 8 directions vs just R or L (which is not very super!)
- A more intuitive key press routine vs #'s 1-5.
- Help Menus (Spacebar)
- Optional lowercase font, but be warned, this does double the already slow start of the program. Once loaded, however, "new" games proceed more reasonably.
- Some other odds & ends, but most important - no CALL FILES(1) required!

In all, a rather mindless, non-stressful, somewhat enjoyable TI Basic Game. In Mickey Schmitt's Adventure Reference Guide she rates Superman as a "2" - "Fair Quality", I'm hoping now for a "2.5".

I would appreciate a note on any bugs found. Thanks. Coming soon - XB, "Citadel of Pershu".

PS - the Disk Image expects to run from DSK1. A pdf of the original is attached. (I am glad this place has spell check!)

SUPERMAN.dsk Superman.pdf

• Like 7

16 hours ago, MikeV said:

Designing Font's is not easy!

Magellan makes it a lot easier as you design the font in 8x8 pixel squares and press COPY ... then PASTE it into a text file , it will give you the Hex code to use in CALL CHAR statements then paste it into Classic99 or JS99er.  ;)

2 hours ago, Firefly said:

Magellan makes it a lot easier as you design the font in 8x8 pixel squares and press COPY ... then PASTE it into a text file , it will give you the Hex code to use in CALL CHAR statements then paste it into Classic99 or JS99er.  ;)

Individual letters are not that difficult, but getting them to look like they all belong together, i.e. as a theme is for me the challenge. In the meantime I've been experimenting with Jim Peterson's wonderful collection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeV said:

Individual letters are not that difficult, but getting them to look like they all belong together, i.e. as a theme is for me the challenge. In the meantime I've been experimenting with Jim Peterson's wonderful collection.

I found the Medieval type font I did for the Adventure game difficult because of the detail in the letters vs only an 8x8 grid per letter.  That was also the case when I made Castle Conquer as it's virtually the same font.

3 hours ago, Firefly said:

I found the Medieval type font I did for the Adventure game difficult because of the detail in the letters vs only an 8x8 grid per letter.  That was also the case when I made Castle Conquer as it's virtually the same font.

Wow, is Castle Conquer an adventure type game? Hopefully here somewhere?

On another note, I realize everyone's time is at a premium, but would you have any to test out a program? I understand perfectly if this is not doable at this time. I only had some time today myself because it has been raining so much. Thanks.

13 hours ago, MikeV said:

Wow, is Castle Conquer an adventure type game? Hopefully here somewhere?

On another note, I realize everyone's time is at a premium, but would you have any to test out a program? I understand perfectly if this is not doable at this time. I only had some time today myself because it has been raining so much. Thanks.

Castle Conquer and Castle Conquer II are both Hunchback clones and are available to download from TIGameshelf.net 

I'm not sure what you mean test out a program, do you mean play-test?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Firefly said:

Castle Conquer and Castle Conquer II are both Hunchback clones and are available to download from TIGameshelf.net 

I'm not sure what you mean test out a program, do you mean play-test?

I have the GameShelf bookmarked, so will check it out. Thanks!

Yes, play-test and critique. (I understand about the time element though.) MikeV.

On 5/2/2020 at 2:50 PM, MikeV said:

I have the GameShelf bookmarked, so will check it out. Thanks!

Yes, play-test and critique. (I understand about the time element though.) MikeV.

I usually ask one of my two kids to play-test :)

Edited by Firefly