IGNORED

Oculus Quest

13 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I'm still not crazy about shutting out the outside world

the worse part for me with VR is you know those sounds that your house normally makes due to settling or changes in temperature?  Normally I tune them out, but in VR I will hear them and wonder if someone is trying to come through the front door or something

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Is it possible to connect it to a Blu-ray drive for instance, or do you only watch movies on YouTube?

Pretty sure you cannot connect a blu ray/dvd player to it . There are ways of playing ripped films , also an app called big screen has movies being played that you can either watch for free or buy a ticket to watch a big screen movie show.

• Thanks 1

This is my first interaction with any kind of VR, so I have nothing to compare it to. Yeah, the resolution isn't super crisp, but that's kind of expected. When you consider that all other VR models require the cpu, memory, and graphics processor of a PC, the fact that Quest is the cost it is and completely tetherless is quite the accomplishment.

I never wanted to get a VR setup until it I had the option to play it tetherless, but still use my PC if I wanted to.  The Quest fits the bill. Don't have my Link yet, does it make the Quest use the processing power of the PC to increase graphic fidelity?

• Like 1

There is a way to improve the resolution on the quest 

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/

Tho I haven't tried it but people on Facebook are having success , there's a few demos in the quest store ( either in the quest store on the quest or phone app )

Creed is a boxing game with demo which is a good game , also there is a refund policy on games and I think it's if you have it for 2 days or less but haven't played it for more 

Then 2 hours but please read up on it first incase I'm wrong . I haven't got a link cable so can't answer your last question again .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, toneinblack said:

There is a way to improve the resolution on the quest 

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/

Tho I haven't tried it but people on Facebook are having success , there's a few demos in the quest store ( either in the quest store on the quest or phone app )

Ah, yeah, I heard about this. Kinda sucks that the PDP setting resets when you turn off your PC, hopefully that's something they can fix.

It's still a fairly new system and hopefully some smart people including people on these atari forums will start solving some problems 

(Problems isn't the right word but couldn't think of another ) check out tea for gods on the sidequest page as that's a good game that fits the play area into your guardian 

So it's always changing .

50 minutes ago, Agamon said:

Don't have my Link yet

I'm using this cable. It's just a USBC with a USBA adaptor. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YLS96M7/

PC setup seems a bit fussy, and it doesn't help that there are a whole bunch of geeky workarounds when it seems that the official Oculus Link app (which is somewhat new) can get the job done. It's 8GB for some reason and didn't seem to install right the first time, so I can't yet say how well everything works for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agamon said:

I never wanted to get a VR setup until it I had the option to play it tetherless, but still use my PC if I wanted to.  The Quest fits the bill. Don't have my Link yet, does it make the Quest use the processing power of the PC to increase graphic fidelity?

Yes; it will render the graphics on your PC vs. on the Quest (which is basically just a smartphone SOC). So depending on your PC, you could have vastly better visuals than the Quest itself can offer. However, I knew there was a catch when Mark Zuckerberg said the Link cable "basically" turned your Quest into a Rift, and that catch is that USB 3.0 doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit those visuals to the Quest. HDMI does. This, again, seems like a pretty major oversight to me, especially when the Rifts both used HDMI.

So what the Quest Link does is compress the visuals, which affects the quality. I still haven't tested this myself (probably will today) but I've read a lot about it and looked at various screenshot and video comparisons and there are different opinions on how noticeable it is. The consensus seems to be, and I feel this way based on the comparisons I've seen too, that if you've never used a Rift or Rift S before, you're not going to know you're missing anything. If you're used to a Rift or Rift S, you may feel the visuals are a little fuzzier, especially around the outside edges (the algorithm prioritizes the center of the screen; it drops the most data on the edges). I am planning to do a direct comparison myself and I'm hoping that since I have the original Rift and not the slightly sharper Rift S, it'll be close enough that I don't need to keep the Rift around anymore.

But I do feel like visual quality is a really, really important aspect of convincing VR, and the Quest in standalone mode barely gets there for me. If you have a decent PC, the Rift or Rift S really look a lot better. Even PSVR looks better, and PSVR has higher quality lenses too. That's one thing I was really hoping Oculus had finally fixed; my Rift has the "Godrays" thing where rays of light bounce around inside the lenses, mostly concentrated in the middle of the lens. This can make the image look smeared, blurry, or like there are halos around various things. The Quest has the same issue, but it's more spread out all over the lens now, not concentrated in the middle. The PSVR doesn't have this at all. I don't know why Oculus can't seem to figure this out.

• Like 1

Ok, just tested Oculus Link (I know I kept calling it "Quest Link" before) with an A/B comparison playing the same game (Robo Recall) on my Rift and Quest. Verdict: not perfect, but good enough to replace my Rift.

I noticed only very slight image degradation, and I had to look for it. Most of the time I'm not sure I wasn't imagining it. But I do feel like there was some very slight artifacting - almost like mpeg artifacting - all the time. And once, things went inexplicably blurry as hell for about 15 seconds before coming back.

There's also a tiny bit of lag that I forgot to mention reading about before. This I definitely did confirm; I tested specifically for it. It's kind of like the lag you might experience on an emulator; some people may not even notice it, while others are sensitive to it. I think I'm sensitive to it in that I notice it, but I can usually ignore it.

All of this makes sense because as I understand it the Link is basically streaming the game to the Quest, which is just playing it like a movie. It's basically like how Google Stadia or other streaming services work, but over a cable. The actual Rift is getting the raw image data and constructing the image like any other monitor would. So Quest Link is not *actually* working like a Rift, even though it's connected by a cable and playing Rift games. Your PC and the Oculus software are doing all the work.

Anyway, given all the hassles with the Rift and its sensors and cables and whatnot, it's good enough as a substitute.