IGNORED

SNES Solder Type Cartridge Slot Replacement

Hey everyone,

I've spent hours looking for a new cartridge slot to replace the one soldered into my SNES. I purchased a replacement on eBay but the rows are about 4.5mm apart and the rows in the original are about 6mm apart. I've already de-soldered the original connector so any help on sourcing a new one would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a picture of the original connector (top) and the eBay replacement. As you can see, the rows on the replacement are closer together than those on the original.

20190605-201738.jpg

Thanks!

Heather

Edited by SkydivinGirl

Maybe it's for the Super Famicom or the the PAL SNES...

Not sure about the SuFami but the PAL SNES have the same system : that connector "snap" system on which you set the actual cart slot.

I don't really seee why this would need replacing.

That's the point of the cart slot riser, to make the cart slot easily replaceable and protect the original connector from damages.

Maybe that's a connector for SNES Junior you got?

It's difficult to believe I'm the first person to want to replace this exact connector. Other than parting out a broken unit, what do people do if they have bent/broken pins or the connector cannot be cleaned? There are plenty of the connectors with the smaller row distance.

I suppose I'll have to make an adapter PCB if it's my only option. :(

Heather

• Like 1

Well normally it's the raiser conenctor atop of that one that may need replacement. The motherboard connector is quite a robust design, and it would take quite specific damage to break or bend pins to it without damaging the motherboard too.

In this case, it is not a raiser connector. I removed the metal shielding of the original connector to verify that it's one solid piece of plastic with the cartridge pins being soldered directly to the motherboard. It's not a two-piece design.

Unless I find a feasible replacement, I'll design a riser PCB with a connector where I can plug in one of these replacement connectors.

Heather

Oh alright.

I worked on several SNES and the connector was always in two parts :

lev-pcart.jpg

There are two designs of the pin connector. One is solder on and one is snap one. You can tell the difference between the two by looking at the console's bottom and seeing if the FCC warning is molded into the plastic or is a sticker.

• Like 1

I'll ask a guy that work daily on SNES but this connector might be a feature of the US SNES. PAL and SuFami doesn't have FCC stickers and I don't recall them being embossed either :

snes-vis.jpg

https://jeudepixel.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/snes-switchless-demontage-1.jpg(link because it's a massive picture)

Edited by CatPix

I'll ask a guy that work daily on SNES but this connector might be a feature of the US SNES. PAL and SuFami doesn't have FCC stickers and I don't recall them being embossed either :

snes-vis.jpg

https://jeudepixel.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/snes-switchless-demontage-1.jpg(link because it's a massive picture)

Yes its a USA thing only

• 1 year later...

I have an snes jr. I have been on trying to find anything that has the replacement. My pins, are super clean but loose. I found a work around making spacers out of electrical tape in the slot housing that basically pushes the cart forward (riding down the rear dust cap). It woks, but I am bout to RGB mod the system, and want it up to snuff. Anyone have a video of someone sucking out the solder and replacing a 62 pin slot on a snes jr?

On 6/7/2019 at 5:33 AM, Starwander said:

There are two designs of the pin connector. One is solder on and one is snap one. You can tell the difference between the two by looking at the console's bottom and seeing if the FCC warning is molded into the plastic or is a sticker.

That's not a reliable indicator though. The shell with the molded FCC label was used with a number of board revisions, including the SNS-CPU-GPM-01/02 revisions which still had a removable cartridge slot. The only real way to know for these is to open up the console and see if the cart slot flanges are silver or black. If they're silver, your cartridge slot is removable. If not, it's the kind that's soldered on the board.