IGNORED

Building a cheap SIO2PC Cable

rcamp48

On 2/20/2020 at 2:00 AM, 13Leader said:

I have built a few variations of SIO2PC cables using the following:

With no handshaking - RespeQt handshake set to "None"

https://www.amazon.com/ADAFRUIT-Industries-954-Serial-Raspberry/dp/B00DJUHGHI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2 

With CTS handshaking - RespeQt handshake set to "CTS"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXVRQ7V/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0

I am also not 100% sold on the idea of simulating an open collector with a diode on the TXD line.   This maybe an issue with the SDrive-MAX hardware but I know RespeQt well and it can say I have never had that issue unless I have an actual SIO device collision.  You see that with real hardware anyway.    Anyway - just an opinion - not to trigger anyone. A little more info.

https://github.com/pjones1063/RespeQt/blob/master/usb2pc_build_instructions.pdf

I ordered both cables (PL2303 and FTDI) online. The PL2303 chipset one arrived first, so I made an SIO2PC cable with it, some old ATX power supply pins stuck into the SIO port on the back of my Atari 65XE. It worked fine with RespeQt handshake set to "None". It seems that speeds for this cable top out at 19200. Probably the limitations of not having any handshake?

Still waiting for the FTDI version so I can build another cable with a CTS handshake.

2 hours ago, pusakat said:

I ordered both cables (PL2303 and FTDI) online. The PL2303 chipset one arrived first, so I made an SIO2PC cable with it, some old ATX power supply pins stuck into the SIO port on the back of my Atari 65XE. It worked fine with RespeQt handshake set to "None". It seems that speeds for this cable top out at 19200. Probably the limitations of not having any handshake?

Still waiting for the FTDI version so I can build another cable with a CTS handshake.   

Very cool.   Did a little more research on the open collector idea.   It really should be done using an NPN transistor and a single pull up resistor.  Not a single diode.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 13Leader said:

Very cool.   Did a little more research on the open collector idea.   It really should be done using an NPN transistor and a single pull up resistor.  Not a single diode.  

Correct.. You can see the schematics of the xf551 or 1050 drives for inspiration. Those actually use an open collector output transistor, as far as I remember. 

Edited by manterola

On 3/5/2020 at 8:56 AM, 13Leader said:

Did a little more research on the open collector idea.   It really should be done using an NPN transistor and a single pull up resistor.  Not a single diode.  

If you dig through the SDrive-MAX thread in the main A8 forum, you'll see that others reached a similar conclusion. @mrrobot sums everything up incredibly well here:

https://atari8bit.net/uno2sio-sdrive-max-sio-bus-contention-fix/

I just received the "FTDI" cable which I ordered from China. Sadly, it was not an FTDI-chip cable. It was a PL2303 cable, but with 6 pins instead of just 4. The color codes for the 6 pins are in the item description, and it includes

Redwire:5V
Blackwire:GND
Whitewire:RXD
Greenwire:TXD
Yellowwire:RTS
Bluewire:CTS

Am I right in assuming that all I'll need to connect are Black (GND), White (RXD), Green (TXD) and Blue (CTS), to SIO Pin 4 (Ground), Pin 5 (Data Out), Pin 3 (Data In) and Pin 7 (Command Signal) respectively?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pusakat said:

Since SIO pins 4 and 6 are both GND, can I attach the black GND wire from the PL2303  (or FTDI if I have one) to either one or both? i.e. connect to Pin 4 only, connect to Pin 6 only, or connect to both Pin 4 and 6

yes to all.  4 and 6 are both ground

Edited by 13Leader

What are the advantages of using a cable with a connection to SIO pin 7 (COMMAND SIGNAL) versus one that doesn't?  Is there any performance or efficiency improvement with the dedicated channel for handshaking? I already have a guess about this, but I'm confirming my assumptions.

Does the extra channel provide additional functionality or benefit to using a cable connected to SIO pin 7?

On 3/9/2020 at 9:26 PM, pusakat said:

What are the advantages of using a cable with a connection to SIO pin 7 (COMMAND SIGNAL) versus one that doesn't?  Is there any performance or efficiency improvement with the dedicated channel for handshaking? I already have a guess about this, but I'm confirming my assumptions.

Does the extra channel provide additional functionality or benefit to using a cable connected to SIO pin 7?

The /COMMAND line is VERY important for it to be a true SIO device. There is always the chance for the device to mis interpret other data and format a disk UN-intentionally

/COMMAND is part of the SIO Specifications. It should be (must be) used.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just made one of these with an FTDI-chip cable this past weekend and it works great. I see some comments about some getting this to work with APE/ProSystem. I tried and have had no luck whatsoever on this front, but it works great with RespeQt, which I'd been wanting to try out anyway. For those that have had luck getting it to work with APE, are you using the USB or RS232 version of APE and how did you set it up? What options did you use in APE setup?

Thanks!

APE version 3.0.6 will work with a VCP port in "software only" mode (no VCP driver) and it works with your own SIO2PC USB device.

Version 3.0.8 and higher do have a proper VCP driver and will work better...

Make sure you install the proper drivers for both APE and your usb chip that you made your cable with.

I forget if it will do Pro system, but in the .6 version, some folks have to run using the usb only switch on a command line or select the usb only windows icon....

The latter versions .8+, may or may not need the same. But works better and does not complain