IGNORED

Classic Doom

Atari Nut

Sadly, it's not directly available.

The one possibility is if Doom Classic Complete for the PS3 is available for the Playstation Now streaming service. But I don't see it being a good fit for streaming, so I doubt it's worthwhile for all but the best of connections.

Edited by Atariboy

Depends on what you're interested in.

Doom 3 BFG Edition

-Doom 3 (HD remaster)

-Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil (HD remaster)

-Doom 3: The Lost Mission

-Doom 1 (Ultimate Doom since it includes the episode "Thy Flesh Consumed")

-Doom 2 (Includes the episode "No Rest for the Living")

Doom Classic Complete

-Doom 1 (Ultimate Doom since it includes the episode "Thy Flesh Consumed")

-Doom 2 (Including the episode "No Rest for the Living")

-Master Levels for Doom II

-Final Doom (The Plutonia Experiment and TNT: Evilution episodes)

If you're out for classic Doom action, the answer is an obvious one. Doom Classic Complete has everything that Doom 3: BFG Edition includes for classic Doom content, along with the addition of all of Final Doom and the Master Levels for Doom II. So a lot more classic Doom content.

The quality of the ports of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on Doom 3 BFG Edition for the PS3 are said to be just fine, if not identical to what's on Doom Classic Complete (That's basically what the respected Digital Foundry Retro channel on YouTube said in their big classic Doom episode on YouTube a while back; I personally only have Doom Classic Complete on the PS3 while my copy of the BFG Edition is the 360 version with the XBLA versions of Doom/Doom II included).

So it depends on how bad you want all of Doom 3 in HD or the Master Levels/Final Doom.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Maybe we still can.

While replacement talk is dominating discussion at the moment, there's still a ton of life left in the Playstation 4. And for a good while yet it appears likely that most projects will be going the PC route where customers have drastically varying levels of computer power yet can often still enjoy the same games. I expect most games, from smaller digital releases to AAA retail games, to be cross-gen compatible for the first couple of years at least of the PS5 era that likely won't even start for another 12+ months. So plenty of time yet to prepare and release a PS4 product.

To me at least, it seems like it would be a sensible project to port Doom Classic Complete to the PS4 and perhaps even spice it up a bit with Wolfenstein 3D and Spears of Destiny, getting all this classic content out onto the platform. These are the sorts of games that deserve to be revisited with every generation of hardware and thanks to the backwards compatibility that the PS5 is expected to feature, it doesn't really matter if this release is PS4 specific and predates the PS5 or not, since people will be able to carry it forward or even experience it for the first time on the PS5.

Or maybe we'll see them go the BFG route. Sure would be nice to see a Doom Classic Complete port included in Doom Eternal for the PS4/XB1/NS at no extra charge.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

If you like Doom 3 then you might as well get both. Doom 3 BFG for, well, Doom 3, and the other pack for things like Final Doom (Plutonia and TNT are 32 maps each, lots of content on top of Doom and Doom 2).

Edited by Austin

I never did DOOM 3 but I thought it was part of the "classic" line. With the development of this thread, I see with an image search that it is a "next generation" DOOM. With the release of Sigil, I started thinking about DOOM again.

Wolfenstein 3D is another one I would like to see for the PS4/5. Does anyone know if the PS3 version has enemies that turn their back...unlike the Jaguar version?

• 1 month later...

A lot more options have suddenly become available on current gen platforms, including the Playstation 4. :)

Sadly some old choices seem to have been withdrawn, but while I've seen some mistaken people online that are assuming the removal of the 360 versions from sale on the Xbox 360 marketplace means that Doom Classic Complete must also have been delisted, that isn't the case at all. It still remains available for $15 on the Playstation Store for the Playstation 3 and remains the option with the most classic Doom content on modern consoles.

And while I suspect changes are incoming to restore Doom and Doom 2 to the Xbox 360 marketplace and re-enable the ability to download the 360 versions to the Xbox One, workarounds still exist to gain access to the 360 iterations on both native hardware and the XB1 thanks to the physical Doom 3 BFG Edition disc. So it's not as bad as it could be had it been a digital exclusive. 

That disc can even still be found for sale new at many stores thanks to a reprinting a while back with dual Xbox 360/Xbox One branding to highlight its inclusion in the XB1 backwards compatibility program. I think I bought mine for $12 about a year ago at Wal-Mart and still see it here and there when browsing the electronics section at different retailers.

Edited by Atariboy

At least you ended up with the superior product even if it wasn't on your preferred platform.

Even if these conversions were technically as well done as Doom Classic Complete and the XBLA games (Which it seems they're not), you ended up with a lot more classic Doom content going that route. :)

Going off the Playstation Store product pages, Doom 1 on the PS4 includes Thy Flesh Consumed and Doom 2 includes the Master Levels. But no mention is made of the inclusion of No Rest for the Living or Final Doom here, so I'm confident Final Doom isn't here and likely No Rest for the Living also isn't.

Edited by Atariboy

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, EddieHitler said:

The new patch allows this now, and some other of the more famous WAD packs, as well as fixing a lot of the issues the games were plagued with on release. 

yeah, that latest update was pretty spectacular, not just adding to rest for the living for doom 2, but tnt evilution, and plutonia for both and sigil for doom, plus screen adjustment, 60 fps and more

29 minutes ago, masschamber said:

yeah, that latest update was pretty spectacular, not just adding to rest for the living for doom 2, but tnt evilution, and plutonia for both and sigil for doom, plus screen adjustment, 60 fps and more

Yeah it was a nice bonus including tnt and plutonia for no extra cost - these games will always be best on PC but I don’t always feel like sitting hunched at the keyboard and mouse for hours on end, it is nice to have the option on a modern console. 

At the time people were up in arms about the state of these ports, and yes it was kind of bad that the 360 version was superior - on the other hand they cost less than the price of a pint of beer, so aside from the Bethesda account thing I wasn’t too worried, but it is nice that they’ve listened and taken the trouble to patch the games to this excellent standard. 

21 hours ago, EddieHitler said:

The new patch allows this now, and some other of the more famous WAD packs, as well as fixing a lot of the issues the games were plagued with on release. 

Thanks for the info.  The patch (1.4) didn't auto download when I started the PS4.  I had to launch each game to start each download.

Edited by Atari Nut

Incase it’s gone over anyone’s radar Doom 64 is now also available on modern consoles and steam. I spent about 12 hours yesterday on Doom Eternal so didn’t really get much chance to check it out, but it looks solid. 

I did a full run (including all secret levels, to upgrade the alien gun thingamajig) on an original N64 just last year and suffice to say that satisfied my Doom 64 appetite for the next little while, but some people think this is the best doom game ever made ... they’d be wrong of course, but still! 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:23 PM, Atari Nut said:

Double Impact is also part of the recent patch.  I'm reading that this was originally a replacement for episodes 1-9.  Does this mean that if I activate it in the patch, it's going to replace the original levels?

You can swap it in and out.  You won't lose any content if you play it - when you exit to the menu screen, you can easily turn Double Impact off and play Doom II, or No Reat for the Living.