IGNORED

Atari Remote Control Wireless joysticks CX42 problem

Forrest

I connected a set of Atari Remote Control Wireless joysticks CX42 to an Atari Flashback 2 yesterday and they did not work. Additionally, I was not able to power off the Atari Flashback 2 by pressing the power button on the Flashback console. It seems power was being supplied from the joystick base station thru the joystick connectors! After disconnecting the base station and connecting wired joysticks, the Flashback worked normally. Is this normal behavior for the Wireless joysticks? The wireless joysticks were previously connected to an Atari 400, but this setup hasn't been used for a few years. Troubleshooting help wanted.

The wireless joysticks were previously connected to an Atari 400, but this setup hasn't been used for a few years. Troubleshooting help wanted.

I presume the wireless joystick are using Bluetooth, if so you probably have more Bluetooth enabled gadgets around now than a few years ago, it is possible they may be causing interference that is preventing the Joysticks from responding.

As doctorclu said, try them on the Atari 400 again first, if they work on there then it is not an interference problem, if they don't work on there try turning off the Bluetooth on all your other devices and see if that makes a difference.

The Atari Wireless Joystick CX42 was released in the 80's and uses RF technology. The base station has it's own power supply and an extendable antenna. Each joystick has a flexible antenna that's about 10 inches long.

I will try plugging the Atari 400 into a VCR to see if I get a picture on my TV.