IGNORED

E3 2019: Xbox "Scarlett" Next-Gen Console Reveal Teased By Microsoft

Fun thread, lots of reactions

Here's some random ones from me:

• I was also disappointed by Uncharted 4. The new Tomb Raider series has won the title away from Uncharted in my opinion.
  • Saying the most powerful is the PC is a non-sequitur. Of course the PC is more powerful. Consoles address other customer interests.
  • I think A LOT of the migration from 360 to PS4 was outside of the United States. Plenty of US customers (not all) went with XBone. Still bad, but means they may have strong loyalty in a big market.
  • Console exclusives don't seem to be an MS priority, is that changing? They bought all those devs, but they don't seem to think exclusives are a key to success.
  • Like 1

When Microsoft changed their philosophy (make people WANT to use your product rather than forcing shit on them) when Nadella took over years back, things got immensely better. I'm way more of an Xbox fan now than I ever was, I think they're generally going about things the right way. The exclusive thing I'm not too worried about, I can live without certain games I've learned that the hard way. The most important thing for me has got to be backwards compatibility, you can't invest so much money on games, physical and digital...and not have it be playable on your next system. Those days should be over at least for a while I hope.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:21 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I would have considered buying an Xbone if I could have just used my 360 controllers... I thought the 360 controller was so much better than the regular Xbone controller.

I also hated the 180 controllers and rarely used the system for much until I learned about the 360 to Xbox One controller adapters made by Brook. Just look on Ebay. I've since been happily using my 360 wired controller on the 180. The only downside is that you can't turn the system on from the controller, but they're absolutely worth the $44 asking price.

• Confused 1

On 9/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

Microsoft could redeem themselves if this new console could play the actual discs of all 4 consoles. I highly doubt it would happen because then they couldnt sell you your all ready bought games anymore.

Scarlett will play all X1 games and also the backwards compatible titles.  Just put the disk in and it'll download them (and all DLC) automatically...

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, MrMaddog said:

Scarlett will play all X1 games and also the backwards compatible titles.  Just put the disk in and it'll download them (and all DLC) automatically...

That's nice, but current BC could be a heck of a lot better. I was just this morning looking at the lauded-at-announcement original Xbox compatibility. According to what I found, of the 863 North American Xbox games, 39 can be played on Xbox One. With no plans to add more. That's... all but nonexistent. The 360 fares better- about half- but still, that's a pretty big number of games to be ignoring.

I'd hope they intend to increase that number with Scarlett. It'd be amazing if it was 100%- but as noted, that's not super likely becuase it would be harder sell back old titles in digital form. I just hope we don't see more people like my brother, finally having to give away old favorites kept safe for years becuase BC isn't coming. (I mean, it worked out for me- I just got a free copy of Stubbs the Zombie- but still!) 

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

Microsoft could redeem themselves if this new console could play the actual discs of all 4 consoles. I highly doubt it would happen because then they couldnt sell you your all ready bought games anymore.

Odds are like 99% they will...  The Xbox name came from Direct-X, it's where it came from.  A dedicated box that supported Direct-X. If your familiar with it on a PC it's a nice tech,  so the same game on a PC level will look very good at 480p, as it also would look better at 4K... It's the same game and textures that it scales accordingly. 

It's where Microsoft is going and where they have been with this.  Xbox one games will going forward work on all systems going forward.  So, you could take a game designed for Scarlet, drop the disc in a day one Xbox one (original) and it will play. Wont look as nice but, still will look good but, it will play just like it would on the 8K console...

So, they worked so hard on Xbox 360 compatibly on the Xbox one.... I would be beyond shocked that they would just dump it because of a new console... They even are doing the ORIGNAL OG Xbox games on the Xbox one...   

OF course, they might not do compatibility on some non-popular or games that have issues.  There is a few videos ( youtube) on hacking the Xbox one to enable it for all games, and it was shocking how many games not on the official list worked fine but, there was others that crashed a lot, or had other issues.  I would love a PREVIEW type program where you can use any disc but, understanding it could crash and be as is...

It appears that gamers LIKE compatibility with older consoles and see a value in having that feature...  funny how that works... Seems like they are learning this all over.. 

Edited by TheCoolDave

I don't foresee being able to put non-XB1 compatible Xbox and Xbox 360 discs into the Xbox Scarlett and play them, nor being able to download and play games like Outrun Online Arcade from the Xbox 360's XBLA lineup that never joined the XB1's BC list.

I'm sadly quite confident that the claims of compatibility with four generations of Xbox will just amount to Scarlett being fully compatible with Xbox One software and accessories, including by extension the sizable range of 360 content and the small selection of original Xbox software that was made backwards compatible on XB1 before the halt of the backwards compatibility program on the platform.

That all said, I'm not so sure the reason why is going to amount to protecting digital sales. Most people haven't hung onto their old games and appropriately priced downloads of original Xbox games and old 360 games should be able to be reasonably competitive financially, including being cheaper in many situations, compared to used discs from GameStop (Which doesn't even stock original Xbox games at b&m and may not even exist in 5 years), Amazon, and Ebay. For many people the convenience and near immediate satisfaction of buying a favorite digitally on a whim and being able to be playing it a few minutes later from the comfort of their couch will win out.

And I don't think they're too worried about losing the sales from the small minority of folks like the typical AtariAge user that holds onto old favorites, that would just have to get up off the couch and pull a 15-20 year old game off the shelf and insert the disc into their new Xbox Scarlett.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...