IGNORED

Turbografx 16 mini

I believe they made a mistake there, since you can clearly see two cables going to the rear of the system.

I suspect it will have the same USB power plug that has become standard in the new HD age of plug and play systems. That will also be important if we're to see this get hacked.

• Thanks 2

Not sure about USB 3, but there is absolutely no need for the power supply and "computer" part of any device to be connected data-wise to get power.

There are "power-only" USB cables if you fear data thief, and also a few devices only take power from the USB port (usually they are Chinese cheap electronic devices that used to have a standard 5V connector which was replaced by a USB-shaped connector.

Though of course, this isn't common at all and most of the time you got get a data connection.

If USB 3 become a standard we may even see "USB-only" devices rather than HDMI - HDMI do carry power tho, but maybe not enough to power devices.

51 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

No, silly. Plug it into USB on TV for power. :-D

I know that's the way it usually works, but the vid above claimed you only need to plug in the HDMI cable and you're off! Thought for a minute that since they weren't including a USB adapter, maybe they found a way to use the minuscule amperage coming out of an HDMI port to power the thing. You know, technology marches on and that whole BS. After taking another look per Atariboy's post, did indeed see two cables coming out the back. Should have known it was too good to be true.

That's it! I'm taking back my rep point for the misleading video. Most of the game descriptions suck anyway!   ?

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2019 at 4:53 AM, Atariboy said:

Not sure what happened to my link, but here's the same thing.

I just preordered. Is there a reason why we aren't getting the English ports of Neutopia I and Ys for western release? ?

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

6 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

I just preordered. Is there a reason why we aren't getting the English ports of Neutopia I and Ys for western release? ?

No because you're getting them. ;) Actually you'll get both English and Japanese versions of Neutopia I&II and Ys I&II.

At first I thought they were only available in the European version because Americans don't like JRPGs that much or something, but I found them at 2'25", 3'25", and 4'30" in the video. I don't understand how you missed them...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anyone in the TG16-mini camp we can contact to request they do a mini SuperGrafx version?  Even if the gamelist was the same, I'd be ok with it.  The SGX had the coolest look of all of them and was and is beyond the justifiable price point for most both then and now. Maybe they can pull from the Neo-Geo mini playbook and release it as a special edition/Christmas, etc, and actually include the small library of SGX titles? The standard releases are including some CD games so this is such a lost opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

I played it at Tokyo Game Show. It's okay. Controllers are pretty accurate to the real PC Engine's, but they had the non-turbo ones, which are the default and you have to buy the turbo ones separately. It has some input lag and the scanlines filter is somehow even worse than the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini. I asked the Konami dude if it was the final production model and he said it was. It was fun to play Rondo with the PC Engine GT bezel, though. It looks exactly like the real PC Engine GT's screen, complete with the terrible little dots everywhere! You can turn off the background image and just have it be black, just like it's supposed to be. I don't think anyone on Youtube has mentioned that at all.

They had some TurboGrafx-16 Minis out as well, but I had the PC Engine Mini. All 3 versions were on display next to the real versions. The size is basically the same for the 2 PC Engine variants, but the TG-16 Mini is slightly smaller than a real one. Interestingly, that's the only TG-16 I have ever seen in my life.

Still getting it even though I have a PC Engine, CD ROM2, SSDS3, and a MiSTer. More looking forward to the cool PC Engine shirts they are selling along with it than the system itself, though.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 3:22 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

The non-turbo ones, which are the default and you have to buy the turbo ones separately. The size is basically the same for the 2 PC Engine variants, but the TG-16 Mini is slightly smaller than a real one.

I am glad I will have the option to buy turbo pads separately.  I was going to wait for the price to come down just so I could get the usb controllers. Sega should have sold the usb 3 button genesis mini controller separately too.  If Konami were smart, they would surprise everyone and pull a NeoGeo mini inspired move and announce later this year a Christmas edition that's the SuperGrafx. If they don't do it at all, I'm just baffled at the lost opportunity. 

I have a PC Engine, TG16, Mister, Everdrive, I'm holding out on a SSDS3 for Mister support and have a pi for PCE-CD for now.

9 minutes ago, seastalker said:

I am glad I will have the option to buy turbo pads separately.  I was going to wait for the price to come down just so I could get the usb controllers. Sega should have sold the usb 3 button genesis mini controller separately too.  If Konami were smart, they would surprise everyone and pull a NeoGeo mini inspired move and announce later this year a Christmas edition that's the SuperGrafx. If they don't do it at all, I'm just baffled at the lost opportunity. 

I have a PC Engine, TG16, Mister, Everdrive, I'm holding out on a SSDS3 for Mister support and have a pi for PCE-CD for now.

I hope you like regular white PC Engine controllers, since that's the only color available unless you buy multiple CoreGrafx or TG-16 systems. I think Sega did sell the 3 button variant separately here on Ebten or something, but I doubt many people bought it since the Mega Drive Mini comes with either 1 or 2 USB SJ-6000s.

I actually like the SSDS3 since I can use my real HuCARDs and Super System Card with it. Of course, I dumped all of my HuCARDs including the Super System Card using it, but I feel really weird with nothing in the card slot. Sometimes I have to reseat it on the back of my CoreGrafx, though I really like it overall. MiSTer doesn't have CD support yet and I don't have the BlisSTer either, so I don't really like using it much right now. Feels really stupid to play SNES and PC Engine games with a Saturn controller.

Edit: yep, here it is, sold out.

https://ebten.jp/sega/p/4974365144838

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Great!  I only have turbo and core-grafx controllers so Japanese style white PC-Engine pads would be preferred actually in my case.  I have a bliss box and many adapters (sadly, no PCE/TG16 yet) and sold my USB hub to get the BlisSTer which I should get in the mail soon. Sega's six button pads are agreeable better in almost every way, but for launch titles and a few exceptions, I like the feel of the fat OG 3 button controller. Maybe I'll wait for the Sega mini to drop down to Playstation classic prices. I can already use my real 3 buttons on real hardware so I should just stop controller collecting.

I also forgot to comment that since the announced TG16/pce minis, I wondered how they would make the already small pce any smaller without it looking like an everdrive hucard where they may as well make a keychain out of it. :)

You want a comparison shot of it next to my CoreGrafx? They gave everyone who played a PC Engine shaped fan that's the exact size of the Mini. Let me go put it next to my CoreGrafx and take a picture so you can see how big it is. It's basically the same, though.

Edit: here it is.

Pic_0217_224.jpg

10 hours ago, seastalker said:

Thank you for the comparison pic. If I got the mini it would be for the new 3 button controllers for Mister and I'd sell the console or have it somewhere pretty.

Sure. I'd say get it if you just want the controller, then. It does look pretty nice, but that's about all it does. The controllers are decent. D-pad is a bit squishy, though. I bought mine mostly for display, but then I ran out of room on my desk, so I put it away. Here's a picture of them together.

Pic_0217_225.jpg

You know what? I have never tried the controller for it on the MiSTer (which sits in from of my Super Nt, but obviously didn't make it into this photo. It's just barely out of the frame). I'm using the 2.4GHz Saturn controller (which is over there sitting on top of the clear SN30 and next to the M30 2.4g and the Mega Sg) and it works more or less. Having difficulty binding buttons with it, though, and I have to actually hit the button on the MiSTer itself to get back to the menu. Also feels really strange playing SFC/SNES with a Saturn controller.

I tried the Mega Drive Mini controller on the MiSTer and it works perfectly. It will not allow me to set a menu button combination, so you will probably have to press the button like I do.

I imagine the TurboPC Core EngineGrafx Mini controller will probably work the same way. The biggest problem with this is that there is no Avenue Pad 3 option for it. That's the best PC Engine controller and the Shuttle controller is #2, and I wish there was a USB version for both of those. Oh well. It will be perfect for the other 8-bit systems on MiSTer and since MiSTer has no PC Engine CD support yet, I have no reason to use MiSTer over the real thing right now. By the time it does have CD support, I should have the BlisSTer and adaptors so I can use the Avenue Pad 3 or Shuttle controller.

Hey, my post and icon are there in your picture too. I think that's a first for me. :) That is important info that the Genesis d-pad on the mini feels different than the original.  I already have real Genesis controllers and a bliss box with a Blister waiting in the wings.  I think I will probably stick to that. Sorry Sega. I don't have the Avenue Pad 3 or Shuttle controller so I may keep an eye out. I'd probably be fine playing 3 or 6 button PCE/Cd games with my Saturn controller though.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:44 AM, seastalker said:

Hey, my post and icon are there in your picture too. I think that's a first for me. :) That is important info that the Genesis d-pad on the mini feels different than the original.  I already have real Genesis controllers and a bliss box with a Blister waiting in the wings.  I think I will probably stick to that. Sorry Sega. I don't have the Avenue Pad 3 or Shuttle controller so I may keep an eye out. I'd probably be fine playing 3 or 6 button PCE/Cd games with my Saturn controller though.

I wouldn't say it feels totally different. I had one when I was a kid that was more or less the same. Also the originals are literally over 30 years old at this point, as well. I was fortunate to find a CIB Avenue Pad 3 on the day I bought my PC Engine, along with with the Shuttle controller, which was actually the first PC Engine anything that I ever bought. Both are highly recommended, but I could understand if someone doesn't like the width of the Avenue Pad 3. It's almost exactly the same width as a PS4 controller but with the ergonomics of a regular PC Engine controller. Shuttle is nicer, but less functionality because it doesn't have the III button.

Pic_0220_237.jpg

6 hours ago, seastalker said:

Have you tried the Avenue 6, [6 button pad]?   I am thinking that soon I need to reduce and consolidate my controller choices.  I don't think I'll mind playing fighting games of the PCE library with a genesis pad.

I don't play fighting games and it doesn't work as a 3 button controller, so it's literally useless to me.

I was unaware it could not be used for 2 button games.  Not having some mode switch was a limiting and odd decision.  I have read others say the Hori Fighting Commander PC 6 button works in both modes, so perhaps that one covers all games?

Also, I found this list of 3 button and 6 button games:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?273661-6-button-and-3-button-games