IGNORED

Odyssey 2 FlashCart ?

zezba9000

There is a flashable cart out there. Google it. I do not recall the maker. I am sure it uses a rotary dial to select games.

there is also a board sold that can be flashed with one game too. Sold by a guy in Canada. If you want a custom board made, I (Packrat) can do that.

Edited by ozyr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ozyr said:

There is a flashable cart out there. Google it. I do not recall the maker. I am sure it uses a rotary dial to select games.

there is also a board sold that can be flashed with one game too. Sold by a guy in Canada. If you want a custom board made, I (Packrat) can do that.

I'll definitely keep the custom board in mind for later. Tnx!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

Its pretty sad these aren't being made anymore. Really wish packrat could make them.

If you only care about games and not development there is the C7061: http://packratvg.com/o2c7061.html

Doesn't support custom games though.

Unfortunately for me it is more for development / homebrew purposes, I only need 45: Morse in the UK releases now, got everything else :( If I ever get too much money to throw around I might get one of the multicarts, but for now I'm good.

• 3 weeks later...

I, myself, have a need for a flashcart that can map 3KB in at a time, with smaller segments (at least as small as 512 bytes) that can be independently banked, as opposed to the built-in 4 bank entire-3KB-at-once support of the 8048. Otherwise most of my games couldn't be implemented, as the number of combinations of duplicated code and data across multiple banks would use far too many banks. My largest game would need 512KB of code + data. Also, I need to be able to have some of the address space mapped RAM, and have that be bankable (to have, say 8x 512 byte RAM banks. And, for game saves, I either need the cart RAM to be non-volatile/battery backed-up, or have a means to write to flash, like with the AtariMax carts. I have some very cool games planned for the O2/VP 7000/VP 7400, if only there was a flashcart I could develop and then sell them on. I could pre-pay for a bulk purchase of carts.

For my first game, I probably only need around 24KB, or maybe around 48KB if the entire 3KB needs to banked at once. I also wouldn't need any RAM or way to save games (although that would be a bonus). So, for this game, I could use a *much* simpler cart, but not just a straight 12KB cart.

There were a couple of projects that might have supported my needs. There was Soren's MegaCART and FlashCART, which supported 1MB, but no RAM; and Rene and Gorf's much more ambitious cart, which would have added DPC+ like features (via a CPLD/FPGA) and an AY soundchip, along with multiple MB of ROM and RAM.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130613131556/http://soeren.informationstheater.de/g7000/megacart.html

http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1509.msg13010#msg13010

I haven't looked into the MegaCART/FlashCART. Does anyone know if any were actually built? Soren released all of the information required to build them, so someone could theoretically build these and/or enhance them.

• Like 1

Thanks! I haven't yet, but I plan to register and post there, as well. Due to the 3K limit on mapped ROM, we really a cart like Melody/Harmony for the VCS, so that we can offload some processing to a modern microcontroller, which would have access to a large flat memory space. Then we create new games to rival the ones created for the VCS.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...