IGNORED

Odyssey 2 FlashCart ?

zezba9000

"Voice compatibility module."  And in the end, some of the voice sounds still won't work.  All the info is here: http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=3291.214

The cart is really nice though.  If he updated the design and the module isn't necessary anymore, let me know because I'd be eager to buy a newer, Voice-friendly version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 5:56 PM, eebuckeye said:

I have had mine awhile but I think around $100 if I remember.

Mine just came in the mail! It was a surprise because the status was frozen in Europe for two weeks passing customs. Somehow the shipping never got updated. 

I can't find a English manual or instructions on how to use the sd cart. I created a folder in the root directory called games but I cannot select the games there by using the joystick. I have to manually select a game by using the buttons on the cart. It would be nice if there was a way to select games when powered on with an onscreen menu by using a joystick. 

Edited by Sonaru

I received the following information from the creator:

Instructions in my blog or in videopac.nl forum. There you can find a user manual (sorry is not updated to the last firmware version).

The adapter have to be used only together with "the voice module".

tips:

- Pressing left+esc while power up cart will be configured with on screen menu. You can deactivate this mode from the configuration menu.

- On screen menu is not compatible with the voice module. If you are using the voice, you must use the adapter and the local buttons+OLED screen.

- To add a new game, just copy it to the root folder of the uSD card.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, eebuckeye said:

I received the following information from the creator:

Instructions in my blog or in videopac.nl forum. There you can find a user manual (sorry is not updated to the last firmware version).

The adapter have to be used only together with "the voice module".

tips:

- Pressing left+esc while power up cart will be configured with on screen menu. You can deactivate this mode from the configuration menu.

- On screen menu is not compatible with the voice module. If you are using the voice, you must use the adapter and the local buttons+OLED screen.

- To add a new game, just copy it to the root folder of the uSD card.

Thanks this worked! Now the only problem I'm experiencing is when I accidentally push left or right on the joystick on the menu screen, it causes the flash cart to reboot. Both my flash cart and odyssey system have no issues playing games so I wonder why it can't handle a left or right input? 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the dipswitch Odyssey cart and then the other one with the menu from Packrat also. With regards to games that aren't on there such as any of the newer homebrew games, is there no way to ad them to these 2 types of carts at all and the only option a flashable usb type cart? 

Some of the newer games I refer to are ones i noticed on the Video Game Critic page such as sea rescue, death race, high water patrol/sea rescue voice edition. However the menu driven cart form packrat does have some neer games on it like Hot Love which is listed as being from 2012 and Shark Hunter which is from 2006

• 3 months later...

I just completed work on an Odyssey² adapter for my BackBit cartridge. Thanks to Steve for donating the machine.

Loads games from MicroSD, with a full-screen menu! Supports standard 2K/4K/8K carts with the possibility of expanding that to support banking.

Cartridge is still on backorder for the next 2 months.

20220528_065626.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, evietron said:

I just completed work on an Odyssey² adapter for my BackBit cartridge. Thanks to Steve for donating the machine.

Loads games from MicroSD, with a full-screen menu! Supports standard 2K/4K/8K carts with the possibility of expanding that to support banking.

20220528_065626.jpg

Awesome!!! If you have a list add me or share link.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:03 AM, evietron said:

20220528_065626.jpg

So it will also work with the Videopac, right?

On 5/28/2022 at 6:03 PM, evietron said:

20220528_065626.jpg

Fantastic! Thanks for making an O2 adapter for your BackBit. Btw, does it work with The Voice module attached? I ask because it's my understanding that the aforementioned Videopac uSD Cart has some compatibility issues with The Voice. Cheers.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:25 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Fantastic! Thanks for making an O2 adapter for your BackBit. Btw, does it work with The Voice module attached? I ask because it's my understanding that the aforementioned Videopac uSD Cart has some compatibility issues with The Voice. Cheers.

I don't have a Voice module, so I can't test it. I will need to change a few things as the menu uses the external RAM signal. Other than that, the microcontroller in BackBit should be strong enough to drive the outputs, but I wouldn't know for sure without testing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, eebuckeye said:

There is one and I have it.. works great!

https://wilco2009.blogspot.com/2020/10/the-videopacsd-cart-is-revolutionary.html

I sent a message to Wilco2009 on AtariAge to get one.

WoooW now that sd card for the odyssey 2/videopac 2 and videopac + is freaking AWESOME ,imagine the possibilities such as clusterchain container files to exceed the 8K limit of the O2 by splitting the rom into sections of 8K (and subdevide it into sections of 1KB) sothat we can create games for it wich takes advantage of the sd card storage space,just imagine a simplified supermariobros game on the O2 and a closer to nes quality supermariobros game for the videopac +,
now about those limited graphical restriction capbilities of the O2,(because you sadly have to deal with the limited 64 availible tile set for it and you are not allowed to create your own ones sadly) and while it is true that with sprites you will have a bit more freedom with it such as overlapping them over each other or place them on any position you want,sadly this is not allowed for the background,no BG overlapping and no pixel positions allowed other then put them into a grid of 8 x 8 next to each other,BUT what if we want to virtually get out of that limited tile set prison of the O2? Then we might just use that dot (tile 27) pattern and create all kinds of sprites with it by copy pasting it next to each other with their own colors,( we might as well use other tile sets too to create all kinds of tile sets with it as well by overlapping them over each other) now since the O2 can handle 4 8x8 sprites atonce,we could in theory create a fake background with it by splitting and deviding the it into sections of 4 8 x 8 sprites over 60fps to create a ellusional background that way along with moving objects of it,sure this will require doing the mid-screen/scanline trick but if we can escape some of those limitations that way,why not? Because some O2 games do use mid-screen scanline tricks for the sprites ,(yes i was told a millions times before that this cannot be done with background tiles ) BUT for sprites it shouldn’t be a problem,the only consequence for this will be potential flicker in games But still it will give us more freedom and wiith this sd card for it,homebrewers will certainly have more easier access to homebrew their games on it with more freedom of testing it on the real thing as well,

and i am NOT the only one who believe that with some smart tricks and extra memory,that we could do more stuff on the odyssey 2 then what was originally intended,any anyway,that O2 flash definitely looks very cool and promising🙏😁🙏