IGNORED

Atari Star Wars arcade from Arcade1Up

JeffVav

14 hours ago, Coleco said:

Wal-Mart has this on sale today for $399. I got free shipping, too.

Could not resist.

With my GF's encouragement and agreement to pay for half, I did this too.  This will be my first upright cab; as a long time arcade freak this has been way too long in coming (never could decide on exactly how crazy to get with a good Mame cab!).  I freaking cannot wait! Such a beautiful looking machine; love the details down to the blue edging, and the design of the Great Trilogy on the front.

Mine is due around 12/10. 

Gearing up for Rise of Skywalker, watching the Mandalorian....and now rewatching episodes 4 through 8 to get completely utterly stoked. :)

• Like 3

Took my time putting it together, it really wasn't half bad.  And I am NOT very good at fixing things / putting things together.  I can do most Ikea but not all, if that tells you anything.

and this took me around an hour (much longer than most but I went slow and took a lunch break midway) to put together.

The predrilled holes were actually really well done.  I agree with some online critique that the order they have you do some things is questionable, but again, it wasn't too bad.  And they included spare parts, which is frankly awesome.

Graphics and sound are terrific; not saying it's accurate as I didn't do a side by side with an original machine etc, but it looks really great and the sound is just terrific.  Control is just fantastic tbh; just love how tight the yoke is.  Just love it, love it, love it.  

SW A1up.jpg

SW A1up 2.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am certainly not great at this game, but without needing to pump quarters into it, I am slooowly getting better even at 50+ years old and reflexes to match. Absolutely chuffed that I can play this at home with a decent yoke anytime I want. :) 

1E25E18D-5F20-4A4F-9DEA-5653E5B1079D.jpeg

1B3C162B-1281-4155-B4C6-574BA49A7637.jpeg

• Like 7

On 1/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, DrVenkman said:

I am certainly not great at this game, but without needing to pump quarters into it, I am slooowly getting better even at 50+ years old and reflexes to match. Absolutely chuffed that I can play this at home with a decent yoke anytime I want. :) 

1E25E18D-5F20-4A4F-9DEA-5653E5B1079D.jpeg

1B3C162B-1281-4155-B4C6-574BA49A7637.jpeg

I think I got the angle just about right... :)

Come on everyone, get the t-shirt to go with the game, and post a pic! :)

SW 4 AA CS.jpg

On 1/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, DrVenkman said:

Finally broke the Top 5 today! I love this thing.  :) 

CDAE9A39-48CC-4F57-B115-8D574FA7E22A.jpeg

Nice!  I am not the player I once was and though I love it, I have yet to crack 500k. :P

I am enjoying ROTJ more than I thought I would.  Slowly getting better.  The AT-ST stage is definitely more than enough challenge, the game is definitely more than I thought it was before I got this cabinet (had just died too quick in the past and wrote it off as too hard to be worthwhile).  Love the scanlines too.

• Like 1

The $372 price has really got me thinking about it hard.

One thing working against me buying is the resurgence of access to arcade games in recent years.  I think I may have gotten the highest score I can (personally) get without memorizing the trench stage.  Not sure how much childlike rediscovery there would be if I got this thing.  After that, I'm not sure that it is truly worth it for me even at the discounted price.

Anyway, I still have like 11 hours to mull it over.

I didn't bite.  My thinking was that even at $371.99 it is still one of the more expensive Arcade 1up machines for sale. With their recent showing at CES, I expect this market to evolve a bit and either come out with compilations or there will be a price drop (or both).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I didn't bite.  My thinking was that even at $371.99 it is still one of the more expensive Arcade 1up machines for sale. With their recent showing at CES, I expect this market to evolve a bit and either come out with compilations or there will be a price drop (or both).

Yeah I was in the same boat as you at $371 but saving $100 I thought it was a justified price for me. Not that I even have space to set it up. It will live in its box in my garage for I don't know how long :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NE146 said:

I'm really going back and forth tempted to get one of these, but my mind is telling me it's ludicrous to dedicate more home floor space to another toy arcade game when I already have the 12-in-1 and a homebuilt Pi-Barcade.

I would listen to your mind. You seem set up pretty nicely. For me, I don’t own any of the other units and This is the ultimate cabinet for me to own since I’m obsessed with Star Wars and know there is no way I would ever own a original cabinet.  Plus the yoke is a big deal for this game. But saying that I canceled my original preorder because I felt $500 was a little too much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NE146 said:

I'm really going back and forth tempted to get one of these, but my mind is telling me it's ludicrous to dedicate more home floor space to another toy arcade game when I already have the 12-in-1 and a homebuilt Pi-Barcade.

I was tempted by the 12-in-1, but the controls weren't so hot and the games were decent elsewhere. This one is something I've been chasing for years ... and it's the first and last arcade-shaped thing going into my house. Everything else is playable with gamepads on computer monitors and televisions, but Star Wars needs the yoke. 

I worry that having this in my house may take away some of the mystique. Amazing that it's stayed in my imagination for almost 40 years.

If you're hesitating now, that's probably a good sign to slow your roll and not get it. Or wait til it's even cheaper! ?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NE146 said:

What has your mind ever done for ya?! Listen to your avatar! ?

On 1/23/2020 at 8:09 PM, Flojomojo said:

I was tempted by the 12-in-1, but the controls weren't so hot and the games were decent elsewhere. This one is something I've been chasing for years ... and it's the first and last arcade-shaped thing going into my house. Everything else is playable with gamepads on computer monitors and televisions, but Star Wars needs the yoke. 

100% agree, same logic for me.  Such that I ended up getting the SW machine...and after decades of debating what precisely to get, finally got a multicade cabinet (currently running Rasp Pi, will upgrade to a fast PC later once the Sinden Lightgun comes out etc) to play basically everything else, set up a little mini-arcade room.  I can't rationalize buying and/or having a room full of "joystick and button" games that can all be done on one machine.  But the Flight yoke (not to mention the art) is really special, and I love having this one. 

• Like 2