IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

Holy crap...fantastic update, Al! 

Forum posting is better than ever.  Just made a recent post and loved how much easier it was to perform several things (I.E. Video links, editing, attachments); faster and smoother too.   The only thing I'm missing is how to tag a 'spoiler' section of a post.

AND for ALL readers, this is important...

Spoiler

If you're an active user of the forum, please consider purchasing a subscription.

*EDIT: Definitely, works - Thanks, Al!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

So now that I’ve created one, I don’t see any option to create any content in the club.

This is one area I didn't have a lot of time to experiment with before I put the forum online, so I will spend some time today reading any documentation Invision has on clubs and also using a regular Member account to learn how they are configured from and end-user perspective.  Once I've done that I'll explain how they work a bit.

..Al

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Albert said:

The creator of the club can choose to create a club using five different schemes . . .

Thanks. Wow, if a lot of people start using Closed or Private that could get very circle jerky in a hurry. We've already seen how some people rarely post outside of certain forums, so herds of nerds could end up in their own little gated communities and rarely poke their heads up over the fence. That would be great for keeping wild-eyed fist wavers contained, but it would suck unwashed monkey balls if people are posting useful information that would benefit non-members.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Trebor said:

The only thing I'm missing is how to tag a 'spoiler' section of a post.

I've added a Spoiler icon to the editor toolbar.  It's the eye icon next to the smiley face emoticon.

Spoiler

Testing spoilers to see if they work!

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Thanks. Wow, if a lot of people start using Closed or Private that could get very circle jerky in a hurry. We've already seen how some people rarely post outside of certain forums, so herds of nerds could end up in their own little gated communities and rarely poke their heads over the fence. That would be great for keeping wild-eyed fist wavers contained, but it would suck unwashed monkey balls if people are posting useful information that would benefit non-members.

I'll have to see how they evolve.  The main intent for Clubs is for individuals to create areas to discuss subjects that are generally off-topic from the main theme of the forum. They'd also be quite useful for private project development discussion.  This often takes place in PM conversations, as well as hidden development forums (of which there are currently several), but Clubs offer considerably more functionality than PMs, so I could see them being used for this purpose as well.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shannon said:

I'll try another browser ( chrome ) when I have access to a machine with chrome.  Should be about 4 hours from now.

I tried Chrome and IE11 ( Windows 7 ) at home and both appear fine.  The only thing I can think of is my work computer is setup for a three monitor display and somehow the forum code is being confused by that?  I'll have to try to stretch the window across the three screens and see what it looks like.

Also the recent status updates and recent posts section does not show up to the right in the IE11 window.  It's fine in chrome.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, (Since search is disabled), but the user icon/banner for subscribers seems to have defaulted to the non subscriber pixel size.  Hence my icon now says "RI SE FACTORY" LOL

Ooh.. and URL's in my signature are not active.

Just now, kheller2 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, (Since search is disabled), but the user icon/banner for subscribers seems to have defaulted to the non subscriber pixel size.  Hence my icon now says "RI SE FACTORY" LOL 

Yes, this is on my list of things to fix today.  :D

..Al 

1 minute ago, kheller2 said:

Ooh.. and URL's in my signature are not active.

All user-created content (posts, blogs, galleries, signatures, status updates, etc.) are currently being rebuilt in the background. It's going to take several days before these are all processed and everything looks normal again.  This includes missing images, attachments, quote boxes, bbcode, and other post elements.

..Al

38 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Okay, I think I’m going to like the Clubs function - I started one for 1088XEL/XLD owners and builders, and I can think of at least a couple others that would be super-useful (Hardware Hacking, for instance). So now that I’ve created one, I don’t see any option to create any content in the club.

image.png.b6ef386110a3e6a7d245a60b47ca854c.png

• Like 3

I just went in and tuned my Notification settings.  I assume that "bloop" sound is notifications?  I had no idea what was going on, thought my Plex media server was doing it.

Another annoying feature and probably nothing we can do about it - the old version shows the path to the current forum and you can click on any part of it including the current forum name but you can't do that in the new (only levels up the path).  I used to use that to open a new tab such that the tab history would be blank, helps to save memory and simplify browsing a little bit.

7 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I tried Chrome and IE11 ( Windows 7 ) at home and both appear fine.  The only thing I can think of is my work computer is setup for a three monitor display and somehow the forum code is being confused by that?  I'll have to try to stretch the window across the three screens and see what it looks like.

Thanks for checking, that's interesting about multiple monitor displays, although I'd be surprised if that was causing the issue.  I don't have a Windows machine ith more than one display attached, so not easy for me to test that with IE11.  And Apple removed the ability to stretch a window across multiple displays a few years ago, so I can't even test that on a Mac with a different browser.

7 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Also the recent status updates and recent posts section does not show up to the right in the IE11 window.  It's fine in chrome.

I'll have to try this out.  I know it works fine in Firefox as well (which I've started using recently).

..Al

4 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Another annoying feature and probably nothing we can do about it - the old version shows the path to the current forum and you can click on any part of it including the current forum name but you can't do that in the new (only levels up the path).  I used to use that to open a new tab such that the tab history would be blank, helps to save memory and simplify browsing a little bit.

I assume you are talking about the breadcrumbs at the top and bottom of the page?  Looks like the last item in the breadcrumb (the page you are currently on) is not a link.  I think that would be relatively easy to remedy.

..Al

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lazzeri said:

Al, all pictures on the "Atari 2600 Brazilian items" are missing. Is this part of the migration process or something went wrong?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Albert said:

All user-created content (posts, blogs, galleries, signatures, status updates, etc.) are currently being rebuilt in the background. It's going to take several days before these are all processed and everything looks normal again.  This includes missing images, attachments, quote boxes, bbcode, and other post elements.

..Al

2 minutes ago, lazzeri said:

Al, all pictures on the "Atari 2600 Brazilian items" are missing. Is this part of the migration process or something went wrong?

Yes, there are still tasks running (slowly) in the background rebuilding all the post content.  This includes images, attachments, quote boxes, and other elements.  Once everything's rebuilt (which will take several days), this missing/malformed content will all be back. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Yes, there are still tasks running (slowly) in the background rebuilding all the post content.  This includes images, attachments, quote boxes, and other elements.  Once everything's rebuilt (which will take several days), this missing/malformed content will all be back. 

..Al

Thank you! Things are looking great! ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I just went in and tuned my Notification settings.  I assume that "bloop" sound is notifications?  I had no idea what was going on, thought my Plex media server was doing it.

That bloop noise is the same one made by the Kerbal Space Program forums when I get a notification - they must be using the same software these days. 

I'm not sure if it's already possible or could be implemented, but I was thinking the other day how handy it would be to be able to bookmark forum content 'internally' so that you can get at the links simply by logging into the forum, regardless of the browser used.

Regarding font size: My eyes aren't what they used to be, but the text seems absolutely perfect as it is. I don't know if it has changed, but I always felt it was a tad on the large size on the old forum. Possibly the fact it seems more pleasing now is an optical illusion (I immediately opted for the dark theme), but I like it.

On mobile devices using the light theme, things seem a little crowded and post titles seem swamped by the page buttons and surrounding material which seems to have a greater presence than the post title itself. The horizontal separators between posts are so feint they're barely visible. However, selecting the dark theme on my smartphone immediately fixed that problem: demarcation lines are far clearer and things look more balanced, at least in my eyes. :)

Love the dark themes!

As it happens, I do Ctrl + to get the next size up in FF - and nice how it remembers and does so to the entire site.  Same deal with my eyesight.

I also use the Deflection/dark theme and have for a few years - find it way preferable to paper colour but the problem there is that when people post in different colours it can sometimes become unreadable although it can work both ways.

10 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That bloop noise is the same one made by the Kerbal Space Program forums when I get a notification - they must be using the same software these days. 

Just looked, yes, that is the same software with basically the stock Invision theme.

..Al

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

As it happens, I do Ctrl + to get the next size up in FF - and nice how it remembers and does so to the entire site.  Same deal with my eyesight.

Excellent.

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I also use the Deflection/dark theme and have for a few years - find it way preferable to paper colour but the problem there is that when people post in different colours it can sometimes become unreadable although it can work both ways. 

Yeah, that is certainly an issue if someone manually sets a text color that conflicts with darker themes.  Not sure much can be done about that, at least not without a fair bit of work.

..Al