IGNORED

No content spy

Umberto

Content Spy was a third-party add-on for the old forum.  The new forum basically has this built in with the "All Activity" link at the top.  If you leave that page open, at the top it'll tell you when there's new content with a big button to load it.  It'll keep updating the counter until you click on it (although there probably is a time out period as there was with Content Spy).  It works pretty well.

image.png

..Al

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

Content Spy was a third-party add-on for the old forum.  The new forum basically has this built in with the "All Activity" link at the top.  If you leave that page open, at the top it'll tell you when there's new content with a big button to load it.  It'll keep updating the counter until you click on it (although there probably is a time out period as there was with Content Spy).  It works pretty well.

image.png

..Al

Sorry Al. I do respect what you do. The list method of the content spy made looking for new content extremely easy. Way to complicated now and an investment of time I don't have. There has to be a way of incorporating the old content spy into the new forum for dummies like me who like simplicity. 

8 minutes ago, Umberto said:

Sorry Al. I do respect what you do. The list method of the content spy made looking for new content extremely easy. Way to complicated now and an investment of time I don't have. There has to be a way of incorporating the old content spy into the new forum for dummies like me who like simplicity. 

There is no way of incorporating the old Content Spy into the new software.  The Invision forum was rewritten from scratch at version 4.0.  We were running 3.4.8, and we're now on 4.4.4.  The frameworks and APIs are completely different, so any Content Spy application would have to be rewrtten from scratch.  The author of Content Spy has stated he has no intention of doing so since as of 4.1 basically the same functionality exists in the base software (what I described above). 

Also, Content Spy is more resource intensive than the method Invision chose to employ.  This is probably one of the reasons they decided only to show the new content when you click the button.  I'm sorry you feel that having to click a button is "way to (sic) complicated now".  I personally think it works well, and it's nice having this functionality built into the forum instead of through a third-party modification.

..Al

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

There is no way of incorporating the old Content Spy into the new software.  The Invision forum was rewritten from scratch at version 4.0.  We were running 3.4.8, and we're now on 4.4.4.  The frameworks and APIs are completely different, so any Content Spy application would have to be rewrtten from scratch.  The author of Content Spy has stated he has no intention of doing so since as of 4.1 basically the same functionality exists in the base software (what I described above). 

Also, Content Spy is more resource intensive than the method Invision chose to employ.  This is probably one of the reasons they decided only to show the new content when you click the button.  I'm sorry you feel that having to click a button is "way to (sic) complicated now".  I personally think it works well, and it's nice having this functionality built into the forum instead of through a third-party modification.

..Al

I get what your saying. I found that the content spy was convenient because it was "TOPIC", "FORUM", "POSTER" in line item format. Now the topic is in Bold text and the forum is in a small font buried under the topic. I mainly used AtariAge for A8 content anyways, which I can still do. There are other forums that have line item listings that I find more usable. I know I'm nit picking on one item and the truth is I like the new structure and content. Especially the clubs. Some of us resist change

3 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

Check out the Unread Content under My Activity Streams, and set it to Condensed view - it's pretty good.

I have done so, If the forum was in bold text and a larger font, it would make it easier to find the content were looking for

Rob