IGNORED

New Evercade Handheld System

999galaxyB

23 hours ago, Battlefish said:

I'm really surprised at the number of titles Evercade is digging out of Atari's archives. Not that it's a bad thing!

It should not be a surprise. Part of this is due to the company that owns Atari right now. The company that owns Atari is willing to do anything to make money at this point under the Atari name and they probably would put all the IPS they own on Evercade if it is possible. I think they have plenty of more IPS they could give Evercade multiple more volumes include  a volume of arcade titles.

The other thing is Songbird Productions does have Handmade Software IP rights besides the games he released after the Lynx was discontinued. The motive is there for Songbird Productions wanting the Lynx games they own to be part of the Lynx Collection

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 1:33 PM, Matthew Szewczyk said:

They just announced some new carts including the Atari Lynx Collection 1 which is awesome! I am glad that they did not sprinkle the Lynx games over other collections like they did with the 2600/7800 games!

AtariLynxCollection.jpg

Definitely the Evercade has some promise, especially if more of these collections come from publishers like Mega Cat Studios and/or systems (ex. Atari Lynx) people haven't played and/or experienced too much.

• Like 2

I really really don't need another system in my life, but the more I casually glance at this and see less question marks and snark, and more games and collections of games rolled out at such low price points is starting to make me think again about it.  I really felt this has a minuscule chance of survival of having much come out for it, let alone last at all, but one box has been seemingly so far checked and now I'm getting curious as I'm more a handheld gamer.  You should see the things I keep around here that go back to the 70s, quality over quantity, but still.

Ok I have to ask before I attempt even googling this.  Has anyone figured out what's going on in the inside of this?  Like, anyone considering a hack to run other stuff, a flash kit for your own projects, etc?

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Evercade was announced today that the system is being delayed till May 22. The reason is Evercade is Evercade's factory partner is located in Shenzhen, China. That Factory partner was closed from the Chinese New Year till this week, but the factory is still not operating at full capacity due to the Coronavirus. Evercade gotten word from the factory that the Evercade production is slower than expected. 

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

From most reviews, this looks to be a solid product.  Personally, if they can get more homebrew collections onto this, I will have to get it as that will be a good way to gather them up.  Also, I wonder if/when they will release the black edition for regular retail instead of it being a 'special edition'.

• 1 month later...

...received my starter kit plus the Atari collection cart 2 as a fathers day gift from the mrs....this thing is great...only problem is several of the carts were out of stock at the time my wife ordered it...they said to check back in a few weeks...very satisfied with it...i think you guys will like this...

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 6:23 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

Only Scrapyard Dog, Super Asteroids / MC, and Basketbrawl are from Atari.  I believe the rest are @Songbird's.

I don't believe that's true -- someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Songbird may have the IP rights to seven or eight of the listed seventeen titles on cart #1, and none on cart #2.

1. Scrapyard Dog
  2. Basketbrawl
  3. Super Asteroids/Missile Command®
  4. Awesome Golf
  5. Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure -- Songbird
  6. CyberVirus -- Songbird
  7. Dracula the Undead -- Handmade, maybe Songbird?
  8. Gordo 106
  9. Ishido: The Way of Stones
  10. Jimmy Connors Tennis
  11. Loopz -- Songbird
  12. Malibu Bikini Volleyball -- Handmade -- does Carl have the rights?
  13. MegaPak -- Songbird
  14. Power Factor
  15. Remnant -- Songbird
  16. Super Sqweek
  17. Xump -- Songbird

That Data East cart looks great! "Burgertime" is obviously not the arcade version, though. Is that the Intellivision port?

2 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

That Data East cart looks great! "Burgertime" is obviously not the arcade version, though. Is that the Intellivision port?

Most ports are from NES.

Regarding the Lynx, someone told me the whole cart #1 is actually Songbird (they bought the rights to Handmade games).

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Most ports are from NES.

Regarding the Lynx, someone told me the whole cart #1 is actually Songbird (they bought the rights to Handmade games).

I've edited my previous entry because I can't keep up with the industrious Carl. :D

NES, huh? I've never played the NES (even emulated), so this is going to be a first. 

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the system (3 cart version) and a couple of others to add to the fun.  I think most of the other carts are out of stock until the end of August.  I may pre-order the re-stock of these after I play the initial batch.  I know I want the Namco carts (especially the one with Mappy!  I love that game!) and at this price point I might as well collect them all.  

I was super excited about the Xeno Crisis as its a style of game that grabs me and looks amazing!  I checked my Switch and for the price of a digital version, I can get a physical version with Tanglewood as well!  I'm liking this Evercade unit more and more.

Oh and 2021... Namco Arcade packs?  Yes please!  Maybe we will see other Arcade packs as well.

• Like 1

Just received mine in the mail. A few surprises:

-the sound is jacked on Burgertime. Why this game????

-I couldn't get Magical Drop II to play. It just returns to the title screen when I try to play the game.

-the cartridges are an EXTREMELY tight fit in the unit. I'm going to have to yank and pull to get the Data East cartridge out, and the cartridge doesn't have a lip on which one can pull. It reminds me of the Lynx I before the lipped cartridges...and even those were much easier to extract.

-The screen is good, but the unit looks cheap. It'd be great if they could come with a translucent case option in yellow, orange, or pink.

3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

-I couldn't get Magical Drop II to play. It just returns to the title screen when I try to play the game.

-the cartridges are an EXTREMELY tight fit in the unit. I'm going to have to yank and pull to get the Data East cartridge out, and the cartridge doesn't have a lip on which one can pull. It reminds me of the Lynx I before the lipped cartridges...and even those were much easier to extract.

-The screen is good, but the unit looks cheap. It'd be great if they could come with a translucent case option in yellow, orange, or pink.

The cartridge fit gets better the more times you put the cartridge in and out of the system.

If you have problems with Magical Drop ii, contact the makers of Evercade.  They are working on firmware updates.

Evercade has 2 firmware updates already including fixing the button mapping. The 2nd firmware update fixed a couple games that crashed, but Magical Drop ii was not one of them. 

Edited by 8th lutz

8 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I just got my system and tried it out this evening... it's pretty awesome!  I got the 3 game pack with the system and two other carts... Mega Cat and Technos carts.

I'm loving this little system!  You get a good deal of games on each cart.  I was surprised by some of them too as I never played them before and they are great!

I didn't notice the Burgertime volume when I played it today.

I thought I had an issue with Magical Drop but it turns out I was pressing A but you need to hit start.  Not sure if this is the same issue you had but this turned out to be a game I never played before and really enjoyed!  I was also pleasantly surprised with Side Pocket!  It's the Genesis version which I don't think I ever played before and it's so much better than the NES version!

I haven't had any issues with the cart removal.. Evercade released a youtube video showing how to remove the carts if you're having issues.

I think the screen is great and I don't think it's cheap... it's well built and I plan on spending a lot of time with it.

I will definitely be ordering some more carts and pre-ordering the Lynx carts for sure... especially since I haven't had a Lynx for years and the price of the carts makes it an easy decision!

Can't wait to try out other carts tomorrow... Technos and Interplay to be precise!

40 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

I just got my system and tried it out this evening... it's pretty awesome!  I got the 3 game pack with the system and two other carts... Mega Cat and Technos carts.

I'm loving this little system!  You get a good deal of games on each cart.  I was surprised by some of them too as I never played them before and they are great!

I didn't notice the Burgertime volume when I played it today.

I thought I had an issue with Magical Drop but it turns out I was pressing A but you need to hit start.  Not sure if this is the same issue you had but this turned out to be a game I never played before and really enjoyed!  I was also pleasantly surprised with Side Pocket!  It's the Genesis version which I don't think I ever played before and it's so much better than the NES version!

I haven't had any issues with the cart removal.. Evercade released a youtube video showing how to remove the carts if you're having issues.

I think the screen is great and I don't think it's cheap... it's well built and I plan on spending a lot of time with it.

I will definitely be ordering some more carts and pre-ordering the Lynx carts for sure... especially since I haven't had a Lynx for years and the price of the carts makes it an easy decision!

Can't wait to try out other carts tomorrow... Technos and Interplay to be precise!

Fantastic! I think the Evercade is a good system; it just needs some minor tweaks.

The music in Burgertime skips a few notes on occasion. It's nothing horrible, but it's kind of annoying during the game. Still, all the musical cues are present and correct. Maybe it's just me, but I find the unit's d-pad difficult to use on the platforms -- I keep overshooting the landings. That'll probably improve with time. 

I'm also having problems using the headphone jack with my standard Apple earphones. I only get sound out of the left earbud and only when I push it halfway into the port; I get a horrible screeching noise if I push it all the way in. I'll have to try it with different headphones tomorrow.

Magical Drop 2 really is good. I can only seem to play battle and story modes, though; the other two won't work. Perhaps they need to be unlocked? In any case, pressing "A" does nothing; I can only begin the game by pressing "start".

I'm totally and completely with you on the Lynx titles. I've also pre-ordered the Namco Museum titles, as I love Mappy and think that Dig Dug 2 will be lots of fun.

Still wish that they would have made this in any colour but white, though. Even black would have been a nice touch.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Fantastic! I think the Evercade is a good system; it just needs some minor tweaks.

The music in Burgertime skips a few notes on occasion. It's nothing horrible, but it's kind of annoying during the game. Still, all the musical cues are present and correct. Maybe it's just me, but I find the unit's d-pad difficult to use on the platforms -- I keep overshooting the landings. That'll probably improve with time. 

I'm also having problems using the headphone jack with my standard Apple earphones. I only get sound out of the left earbud and only when I push it halfway into the port; I get a horrible screeching noise if I push it all the way in. I'll have to try it with different headphones tomorrow.

Magical Drop 2 really is good. I can only seem to play battle and story modes, though; the other two won't work. Perhaps they need to be unlocked? In any case, pressing "A" does nothing; I can only begin the game by pressing "start".

I'm totally and completely with you on the Lynx titles. I've also pre-ordered the Namco Museum titles, as I love Mappy and think that Dig Dug 2 will be lots of fun.

Still wish that they would have made this in any colour but white, though. Even black would have been a nice touch.

I'll play some more Burgertime and see what I can hear... as for the d-pad... It's from the NES version and I played the MyArcade mini arcade and this is the same setup.  It does improve over time but it does take some getting used to.

No headphones for me yet... I'll dig out some various headsets and see what I get.

Magical Drop will keep me coming back for more for sure!  I only tried endless mode or whatever it was.  It's got an addictive hook.

I will be pre-ordering the Namco titles as well as the other titles that were sold out.  Mappy is fun (I have the MyArcade mini of that one and love it!) and will enjoy the Splatterhouse titles as I've never played them.

As for system colours... I heard there was a black model but I don't know how to get one... I would order another system to get another colour.  lol  

Well tonight I am going to open up Technos Collection and have some beat em up fun!

• Like 1