IGNORED

New Evercade Handheld System

999galaxyB

Great comments here and lots of suggestions on which games to try.

Thank you everyone,I am actually getting excited for my Evercade to show up.

I was hoping there are at least 2 0r 3 good games on a cart to make it worthwhile. 

Lynx games are clearly expensive to acquire and I dont have a Lynx anyway.

It will be worth buying the Evercade just for those 2 carts for me.

Glad to hear mention of Food Fight or any other game like that I wasnt even thinking about. Added bonus! ??

• Like 3

19 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I still think that they need to tweak the shape of the existing unit, as it's not that easy to hold for long periods of time. And can the display be rotated? I also really hate the current layout out on the left; the d-pad and "Menu" buttons should be reversed.

That being said, I'm getting a fair amount of use out of mine because of the interesting collections that they've collated and how play differs on a handheld unit.

Yeah, the shape looks good for the most part, but if this thing can be a hit perhaps they can update the model a little sometime down the line in order to improve its ergonomics.  Also, yes, definitely the collections they have curated thus far are pretty solid imo.  I think if I didn't have a way to play these games already I would probably be trying to go for this considering the collector spin they are putting on this with the numbered carts and clamshell cases like the Mega Drive / Genesis used to be back in day.

12 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Great comments here and lots of suggestions on which games to try.

Thank you everyone,I am actually getting excited for my Evercade to show up.

I was hoping there are at least 2 0r 3 good games on a cart to make it worthwhile. 

Lynx games are clearly expensive to acquire and I dont have a Lynx anyway.

It will be worth buying the Evercade just for those 2 carts for me.

Glad to hear mention of Food Fight or any other game like that I wasnt even thinking about. Added bonus! ??

If you don't have a Lynx and/or a way to play Lynx games already, I think you are in for a treat.  I loved my Lynx back in the day and it was a handheld way ahead of its time (in some respects).  Take care and hopefully the Evercade shows up soon so you can get in on some great Lynx action ?.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

it was a handheld way ahead of its time (in some respects).  

Now, I know you're not criticizing the Lynx here, but I'm still waiting for someone to show me how it was behind the curve or lacking in any way (aside from being a battery-eater). In fact, in some ways, it still hasn't been beat: the Evercade won't, for instance, be able to replicate the Lynx's ambidextrous and vertical play options. Hardware aside, the Lynx has often been criticized (by those who don't play it, of course), for being "chunky" and "too large", but its ergonomics for long-term play were actually pretty great. As I've noted, that's something that Evercade should note.

5 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Now, I know you're not criticizing the Lynx here, but I'm still waiting for someone to show me how it was behind the curve or lacking in any way (aside from being a battery-eater). In fact, in some ways, it still hasn't been beat: the Evercade won't, for instance, be able to replicate the Lynx's ambidextrous and vertical play options. Hardware aside, the Lynx has often been criticized (by those who don't play it, of course), for being "chunky" and "too large", but its ergonomics for long-term play were actually pretty great. As I've noted, that's something that Evercade should note.

Oh, I am not criticizing the Lynx in any way.  Now, it was a battery hog (but not as bad as the inferior Game Gear was), and it was not pocketable at all.  Portable, yes; but not pocketable like even the OG Game Boy was (although it still was a bit big for pockets truth be told).  However, it was a great and awesome handheld and I happily got rid of the my OG Game Boy to get and have the Lynx.  It was a great handheld that unfortunately was smashed to bits by the Game Boy.  Still, it had some really great games and remains my favorite handheld.  Although, my little Retroflag GPi is one heck of a little handheld and easily fits in cargo shorts.  I can personally attest to it ?.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, wolfy62 said:

Thank you for the welcoming message!

I kinda wish I had seen the bundle with the first 10 cartridges for just over $200.,that looks like the best deal.

It's ok though,3 carts and the system for $100. is pretty good too!

I should have it by Friday the 21st.

Hopefully,I love it and get hours of fun playing?.

And...I just registered on the other Evercade forum!?

I saw that huge bundle as well but it seems to be sold out everywhere so I grabbed the 3 pack with the system as well.  

Looking forward to your thoughts on the system when you have a chance to give it a go... I'm enjoying it and it's fun buying a cart and finding something that you never would have given a chance to for whatever reason.  Then that 'throw away' title ends up being one of your favourites!  lol

Good stuff on signing up on the Evercade forum!  Please share some thoughts there as well!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I contacted Evercade support and provided my feedback on "Atari No. 1". They're apparently trying to acquire more 7800 titles, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a dedicated 7800 cartridge. 

I don't know if we will receive a dedicated 7800 cart but I'm thinking Atari Vol 3 and 4 will see a peppering of 4 or 5 7800 titles on each.  Not sure which titles from the 7800 library that Atari has the rights to.  Fatal Run, Dark Chambers, Xenophobe (not Atari is it? hmm) and Midnight Mutants come to mind.  Now if they can get the rights from the holders of the other titles on the 7800, that would be interesting.

Regarding the 5200 or the Atari computer line... I'd be all over Qix but that's a Taito property.  

Say... did you just go on the Evercade site and click a leave feedback button or something?  Just curious as I wouldn't mind doing the same.  :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

I don't know if we will receive a dedicated 7800 cart but I'm thinking Atari Vol 3 and 4 will see a peppering of 4 or 5 7800 titles on each.  Not sure which titles from the 7800 library that Atari has the rights to.  Fatal Run, Dark Chambers, Xenophobe (not Atari is it? hmm) and Midnight Mutants come to mind.  Now if they can get the rights from the holders of the other titles on the 7800, that would be interesting.

Regarding the 5200 or the Atari computer line... I'd be all over Qix but that's a Taito property.  

Say... did you just go on the Evercade site and click a leave feedback button or something?  Just curious as I wouldn't mind doing the same.  :)

No, I wrote to support@evercade.co.uk. They're really good with turnaround, too -- I got my answer overnight. :)

• Like 2

I have been analyzing closely the games on each cart for the Evercade.

I had a Commodore 64 in the 80s so I never played any of the Oliver twin games.

The screenshots I have seen the games look pretty fun to me.

Has anyone here played the Dizzy series of games?

Or Robin Hood?

Trying to catch up on great games I missed over the last 40 years!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I have been analyzing closely the games on each cart for the Evercade.

I had a Commodore 64 in the 80s so I never played any of the Oliver twin games.

The screenshots I have seen the games look pretty fun to me.

Has anyone here played the Dizzy series of games?

Or Robin Hood?

Trying to catch up on great games I missed over the last 40 years!?

Treasure Island Dizzy is a platformer that has fun with the unique movement of its rolling, egg-shaped protagonist. I'm betting that it will be a great fit for the Evercade, and especially when bundled with the other Oliver Twins games. Of course, you can always get Treasure Island Dizzy and Fantasy World Dizzy for the Jag from the AA store if you don't want to wait for the Evercade cart. :) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Treasure Island Dizzy is a platformer that has fun with the unique movement of its rolling, egg-shaped protagonist. I'm betting that it will be a great fit for the Evercade, and especially when bundled with the other Oliver Twins games. Of course, you can always get Treasure Island Dizzy and Fantasy World Dizzy for the Jag from the AA store if you don't want to wait for the Evercade cart. :) 

Gotta wait for the cart,I dont have a Jaquar!

Thanks for the info however. ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Gotta wait for the cart,I dont have a Jaquar!

Thanks for the info however. ?

I sold my Jaguar to Albert here at AtariAge so I will gladly wait for the Oliver Twins cart... and for the price of the two Jag carts I could buy a load of Evercade releases.

As for the Dizzy games, I think I played one or two of them on the NES... they were on a golden cartridge from what I remember.  It was a 4 in 1 or something.  Don't remember much about it... my buddy was interested in one of the other games on it.  I'm looking forward to trying these out... I'm wondering what new favourite I will discover on this release?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King_Salamon said:

I sold my Jaguar to Albert here at AtariAge so I will gladly wait for the Oliver Twins cart... and for the price of the two Jag carts I could buy a load of Evercade releases.

As for the Dizzy games, I think I played one or two of them on the NES... they were on a golden cartridge from what I remember.  It was a 4 in 1 or something.  Don't remember much about it... my buddy was interested in one of the other games on it.  I'm looking forward to trying these out... I'm wondering what new favourite I will discover on this release?

My Evercade premium pack arrived yesterday,awesome!

I have my good hand in a cast so its mostly useless to me.

My Son helped me open in up and put a cartridge in,which as everyone has said is the worst part,the cartridge fit. No way I can do that until I have two hands 

We turned the unit on and I love it!

The screen was bigger than I expected,great to look at it even at some tilted angles. This thing is a beautiful little piece of video gaming excellence. ?

My only regret upon review is that I didnt purchase a complete collectors pack with cartridges 1-10 because now I want to hunt down and purchase the rest of them at an extra cost to me of around $50. total over what you save by buying everything in the first place.

Bottom line,the system looks and plays fantastic(my son played many games with me watching,in 3 weeks that will be me playing) and the carts are still really inexpensive for the many games you get on them I will be thankful when I finally get them all.?

I imagine if someone hates the Evercade it was never the right purchase for them in the first place. 

So as for carts like the Oliver twins where I haven't played any of the games for $20. I am certain to get my money's and fun factors worth out of it for sure!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

My Evercade premium pack arrived yesterday,awesome!

I have my good hand in a cast so its mostly useless to me.

My Son helped me open in up and put a cartridge in,which as everyone has said is the worst part,the cartridge fit. No way I can do that until I have two hands 

We turned the unit on and I love it!

The screen was bigger than I expected,great to look at it even at some tilted angles. This thing is a beautiful little piece of video gaming excellence. ?

My only regret upon review is that I didnt purchase a complete collectors pack with cartridges 1-10 because now I want to hunt down and purchase the rest of them at an extra cost to me of around $50. total over what you save by buying everything in the first place.

Bottom line,the system looks and plays fantastic(my son played many games with me watching,in 3 weeks that will be me playing) and the carts are still really inexpensive for the many games you get on them I will be thankful when I finally get them all.?

I imagine if someone hates the Evercade it was never the right purchase for them in the first place. 

So as for carts like the Oliver twins where I haven't played any of the games for $20. I am certain to get my money's and fun factors worth out of it for sure!

Isn't that how things go?  You get a cool electronic item and can't use it when you have your hand in a cast.  Well three weeks will not be too long and then you can have a blast with the system!

Apparently the cartridge fit may have been corrected with the next release batch of carts... someone posted a pic on twitter or Facebook (don't recall) and the cart was shown in the system and there was a little more room than what the initial carts would have.  Although that doesn't really help you to play with a cast but I thought I would mention it.

I agree with your bottom line... for the price, it's a no brainer.  You may really dislike 2 games out of 8 on a collection but love another 3 and find a hidden treasure or two all on the same cart.  It's a perfect way to collect and enjoy the games of yesteryear that you remember fondly or don't remember at all.  And there are good games to be discovered.

Well for the next three weeks or so.. you can always read the manuals for your new games!  :)  Although that was one of the small gripes I had... the print is small and I put on my reading glasses and the size isn't that bad... however, it seems some of the colour of the text and background can make reading the manuals a bit difficult for me at times.  Mind you sometimes all I am doing is looking at the pretty pictures.  lol

• Like 1

That's right,I forgot to mention how cool the game manuals are.

A very nice added touch.

I have to agree the print should have been bigger,I can still barely read them with my glasses on.

I loved your hidden gems comment. 

Even on the Namco compilations are a couple games that were not included on previous versions for other systems. 

And the inclusion of the 7800 games on the Atari carts is a huge plus for me as well.

So far they have managed to pick a bunch of games from many platforms I have never played,which works out perfectly for me at least! 

With a little practice,I found am able to switch the cartridges in and out with one hand. It's not that hard!

I really like how the carts fit into their individual cases,nice.?

Edited by wolfy62
Added content.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

So, which:

1) Lynx games

2) Atari Jaguar games

3) Atari 7800 games

4) Atari 5200 games

5) Atari 2600 games

6) Atari ST games

... do you want to see released for/on the Evercade...?

This a great question.

I may be an oddity here,but outside of the Atari 5200 I havent played a lot of the other Atari games. 

I owned an Intellivision,a Colecovision , 5200 and a Vectrex.

I never liked the 2600,that's just me.

I sure would love to play some more Atari computer, 5200,7800,Jaguar. 

Those would all be awesome,bring it on!!!?

8 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

This a great question.

I may be an oddity here,but outside of the Atari 5200 I havent played a lot of the other Atari games. 

I owned an Intellivision,a Colecovision , 5200 and a Vectrex.

I never liked the 2600,that's just me.

I sure would love to play some more Atari computer, 5200,7800,Jaguar. 

Those would all be awesome,bring it on!!!?

I would, - apart from the original topic, - advice to try out these games for the 5200:

1) Pole Position

2) Pengo

3) Resque on Fractalus

4) Mr Do’s Castle

5) Buck Rogers

6) Gremlins 

7) Star Raiders

8.) Frogger 2 - three deep

9) Gyruss

10) Moon Patrol

11) Pitfall II

12) Wizard of Wor

13) Missile Command

14) Star Wars - Arcade

for a start

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giles N said:

So, which:

1) Lynx games

2) Atari Jaguar games

3) Atari 7800 games

4) Atari 5200 games

5) Atari 2600 games

6) Atari ST games

... do you want to see released for/on the Evercade...?

I believe that Evercade has stated that a Jaguar cart is not in the works. That isn't particularly suprising given the state of current emulation. There's an article in the current Retro Gamer in which the founder says that he's a "massive" Lynx fan, so I'm hoping to see more efforts, although I'm sure they'd prefer to deal with only one IP holder, like Lynx 1 (Songbird) and Lynx 2 (Atari). Perhaps a Telegames cart is in the works? Or homebrews? I'd love to see Klax, but the vertical-orientation games are going to be tough to play on the Evercade without screen rotation. 

36 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I believe that Evercade has stated that a Jaguar cart is not in the works. That isn't particularly suprising given the state of current emulation. There's an article in the current Retro Gamer in which the founder says that he's a "massive" Lynx fan, so I'm hoping to see more efforts, although I'm sure they'd prefer to deal with only one IP holder, like Lynx 1 (Songbird) and Lynx 2 (Atari). Perhaps a Telegames cart is in the works? Or homebrews? I'd love to see Klax, but the vertical-orientation games are going to be tough to play on the Evercade without screen rotation. 

I cannot imagine horizontal - > (and/or) vertical

screen-use,  to be a 

real screen problem

(If necessary, they’d just choose one way of playing the LYNX version)

Edited by Giles N

44 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I cannot imagine horizontal - > (and/or) vertical

screen-use,  to be a 

real screen problem

(If necessary, they’d just choose one way of playing the LYNX version)

Neither do I, but there's apparently some issue in translating the vertical-oriented games at this time.