IGNORED

Connecting your BBS to the Internet

Tillek

I use an 850 with a CX-87 cable to a Lantronix UDS-10. Works great for BBS.

Not so great for calling out because it has NO DNS resolution. To make it worse, Bobterm's dial menu will not hold enough characters for the IP Address/port.

For calling out, use 850 <-->CX88<-->DB25 Gender Changer<-->Lantronix MSS-100. It supports DNS. You can type ATDT broadway1.lorexddns.net/10001 and it will work.

• Like 1

For STar Fleet HQ, I used the MSS-100 (it was a Mega STE, with a 9 pin serial port) so I just had a 9F-25M pin serial cable, with a radio shack 9F-9M null adapter on the computer side, and a 25F-25F gender changer on the Lantronix side. (I needed DNS resolution since it called out for FidoNet)

For The Veteran Adventurer's Guild, I use a UDS-10 connected to an ICD MIO and what I'm pretty sure is the ICD equivalent of the CX-87 cable that I had from my days with the P:R: Connection.

I also have used the UDS-1100 on both BBS's at one time and while others have had issues with that device on a BBS, I actually had no problems with it.

• Like 1

The Basement and Part-Time BBSs are running under the Altirra 3.0 emulator. I went the emulator route because space is limited at my house. I can run both BBSs on a small lap top placed out of reach from three young curious kids. :) 

When I develop BBS modules, I typically use a version of my BBS on native hardware. This allows me to test the modules on various hardware configurations including an MIO, P:R: Connection, and 850 interface. For the modem device, I use a Lantronix UDS-10 for Internet connectivity. When I was developing a term program that runs inside my BBS, I also tested it with a classic dial-up modem. The dial-up modems I have are an Atari SX212 and a US Robotics 56Kbps modem (yeah, the USR modem is overkill, but I bought it cheap off eBay ;-) ).

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

6 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Just a UDS10 hanging off the serial port of my Mega ST4 here... :)

But what BRAND of serial cable are you using?  Or is it literally just hanging with a gender changer or something?  HMM???  WE WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!

Actually, that would be kind of interesting.... Slap a gender changer on there and you probably could forego the cable..... That could be interesting.....

3 hours ago, JohnPolka said:

The Basement and Part-Time BBSs are running under the Altirra 3.0 emulator. I went the emulator route because space is limited at my house. I can run both BBSs on a small lap top placed out of reach from three young curious kids. :) 

When I develop BBS modules, I typically use a version of my BBS on native hardware. This allows me to test the modules on various hardware configurations including an MIO, P:R: Connection, and 850 interface. For the modem device, I use a Lantronix UDS-10 for Internet connectivity. When I was developing a term program that runs inside my BBS, I also tested it with a classic dial-up modem. The dial-up modems I have are an Atari SX212 and a US Robotics 56Kbps modem (yeah, the USR modem is overkill, but I bought it cheap off eBay ;-) ).

-JP

That's kind of funny in that it seems that most who mix emulation and real hardware tend to do the dev on the emulation and then use the real hardware.

But if it works, it works!

44 minutes ago, Tillek said:

That's kind of funny in that it seems that most who mix emulation and real hardware tend to do the dev on the emulation and then use the real hardware.

But if it works, it works!

When I got back into BBSing, I started off by developing on the emulator. It can speed up the development cycle, but I also discovered that the emulator does not always replicate all the idiosyncrasies of native hardware. Lately, I've been developing BBS modules that perform networking such as my term program and weather module. The network performance varies between devices (i.e., emulator, MIO, PRC, 850, etc). Testing on native hardware is more "real-time" when you're developing on native hardware. Plus, I have more devices to test on native hardware than the emulator.  

If/when I resume developing simpler modules again, I may return to developing on the emulator.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

14 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Well, what I really find funny is that you dev on the REAL hardware, but then USE it in emulation.

I use both, but lately the native hardware has been reserved for my own personal use.  @Kyle22 uses my term program on native hardware. So, that's another reason why I make sure it works on native hardware. :) 

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 10:39 PM, Tillek said:

So out of curiosity, do you have 2 machines, or do you have both connected to the same 850?  Or do you switch them out?

More curious on how you use more than one port if that's the way you do it.

850 interface R1: is my UDS-10 for BBS

850 interface R2: or R4: is where the mss 100, eds, or perle's go for calling out and testing depending on the communication software

Edited by _The Doctor__

19 hours ago, Tillek said:

But what BRAND of serial cable are you using?  Or is it literally just hanging with a gender changer or something?  HMM???  WE WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!

Actually, that would be kind of interesting.... Slap a gender changer on there and you probably could forego the cable..... That could be interesting.....

:)

Just your standard Atari serial cable, nothing special.

Not sure about the gender changer (why am holding my breath waiting for the PC police

to pop in right about now?).  :)

I mean, it would put the UDS sticking out the back of my Mega ST4, off the desk. One good

accidental push and into the wall it goes.  :)  :)  :)

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

850 interface R1: is my UDS-10 for BBS

850 interface R2: or R4: is where the mss 100, eds, or perle's go for calling out and testing depending on the communication software

Just out of curiosity... Is this your setup? (Didn't know you were running a BBS too.... let us know and we'll get it on the list).....

Or are you just familiar with Kyle's setup?

Sorry, just a little confused.

4 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Not sure about the gender changer (why am holding my breath waiting for the PC police

to pop in right about now?).  :)

Probably because they're on their way and any hope you ever had for running for political office is now gone. :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you need to set up STING with Forem ST to get it to work properly with a UDS - 10. I can call out no problem at 115200 Baud with my UDS 10 and TAZ but with it set at 19200 or 9600 and all of the port forwarding set up right thanks to DOC , but calling in is a no go, maybe sometime DOC if you are not too busy, you can look at my setup. I would like to get it running, its is properly forwarded from 99.250.141.63 port 1989 and the ip is set right for the UDS - 10. I may set it up with the modem until I get the UDS-10 setup working right, I know how to set the modem to 19200 I will try that first and see if it connects that way. Russ

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I want to get serious about getting Bikerbob's Clubhouse up and running. I am thinking I would like to settle on Foresight BBS. Need help getting connection from outside and setup.  I can get it running ok, and I can login from console, but I cannot get anyone from outside.

1. the bbs modem setup string. 

2. port forwarding. ( this is more just general networking help) I am having a bugger of a time getting seen from the net.

I have posted this on the BBSs as well. I can also post somewhere else, maybe DISCORD for chatting?? or something else.   Would really like any help that can be offered.

James

On 7/21/2019 at 1:39 PM, rcamp48 said:

Do you need to set up STING with Forem ST to get it to work properly with a UDS - 10. I can call out no problem at 115200 Baud with my UDS 10 and TAZ but with it set at 19200 or 9600 and all of the port forwarding set up right thanks to DOC , but calling in is a no go, maybe sometime DOC if you are not too busy, you can look at my setup. I would like to get it running, its is properly forwarded from 99.250.141.63 port 1989 and the ip is set right for the UDS - 10. I may set it up with the modem until I get the UDS-10 setup working right, I know how to set the modem to 19200 I will try that first and see if it connects that way. Russ

STING wouldn't have anything to do with a BBS using a UDS-10.

On 3/9/2021 at 1:30 PM, Bikerbob said:

Hey guys I want to get serious about getting Bikerbob's Clubhouse up and running. I am thinking I would like to settle on Foresight BBS. Need help getting connection from outside and setup.  I can get it running ok, and I can login from console, but I cannot get anyone from outside.

1. the bbs modem setup string. 

2. port forwarding. ( this is more just general networking help) I am having a bugger of a time getting seen from the net.

I have posted this on the BBSs as well. I can also post somewhere else, maybe DISCORD for chatting?? or something else.   Would really like any help that can be offered.

James

When do you have some free time?  Maybe we can do a Zoom meeting where I can share a screen and show some of my settings?

Never used Foresight software but I would imagine that a lot of the things you have to

do to get an ST BBS working is fairly generic.

You've got an ST and Foresight BBS software set up on it and running correctly.

UDS-10 (or equal) setup, latest firmware in place and configured (again, correctly).

Your router must be setup so that you're giving a pass-through to the port you've

assigned to the UDS-10. If you're having trouble and not sure what's going  on, if

your router has the "DMZ" (short for demilitarized zone) then you can use it but

just temporarily. It basically opens up EVERYTHING so if it works with the DMZ

on, but not with it off, then you've probably got a routing issue.

If it still doesn't work then you might have something mismatched between your

BBS software settings and the UDS-10's settings. I know you've probably got that

bit covered, things like flow, bits, speeds, etc,... Don't forget about stuff in your

Control panel either.

You said you could login to your board via console. Have you tried using TAZ or

some other comms program to call OUT to another BBS with the UDS-10 to see

if you're hardware is setup correctly?

And I second what Tillek said, STing has nothing to do with the UDS-10 and BBS's.

HTHs.

Ok.. if you try and connect you will see you get a connection to the UDS-10 but you don't get anywhere. The uds-10 is not communicating to the software.

UDS is good I can dial out.

I need to figure out how to get the UDS  to send a RING to connect. The software is looking for it.. I have no idea how to test this.