IGNORED

Connecting your BBS to the Internet

Tillek

Which sucks, because RatSoft would let me use the other one and get 56k except that Space Empire Elite somehow forcefully checks port 1 to see if there is a user.  It actually "communicates" just fine on Modem 2, but it checks the CD on Modem 1, and not finding it, it exits the game.

Sucks.

3 hours ago, Tillek said:

Which sucks, because RatSoft would let me use the other one and get 56k except that Space Empire Elite somehow forcefully checks port 1 to see if there is a user.  It actually "communicates" just fine on Modem 2, but it checks the CD on Modem 1, and not finding it, it exits the game.

Sucks.

Wow. That does suck. I'm kinda wondering why it was programmed that way?

well.. again.. back to not working. with the MSS-100 I am able to do a more complete init string.. one of the issues I was having with the UDS-10. I did get it to work that one time.. and damm it looked good on Syncterm. 

I am not sure what to do now.  Maybe I should try and get a very basic versino of ST express running. see if I can get it going with the hardware.. I need to establish .. is it hardware/firewall portfwding.. or is this software.

James

Hi again, just keeping you in the loop.

I have found the crux of the issue with the UDS-10 device. 

ATS0=0 will not work with this device. 

As you can read in the AT set.. ATS0=1-9 must be done for the device to accept a call from the NETWORK.  I think if it is on 0 it will display RING 123.345.234.1  (or the ip of the device trying to connect) BUT - as you see the device (UDS-10) does not recognize an ATA command.. which is in the .CNF to "answer" the phone. 

I am building some WIFI ESP8266 modems - so maybe this solves the issue with hardware. But I think to get your software to work with this we need to get around the ATA~ requirement. 

What do other softwares do.. ATS0=0 or ATS0=1? does your bbs software respond with an ATA?

UDS_AT.jpg

I think I mentioned this earlier, but I don't even

have the .MDM (modem) files setup in use with

Express! ST.

So I don't think I send an ATS0=0 at all to my

UDS-10...

PS Not sure about what Express does by default...

I have contacted the author again..

But the long and short.. if I really want to use this bbs software - then I am going to have to learn GFA basic.  There are also many menus in ANSI, ASCII, RIP etc.. that I need to learn to edit.

THings in menus like the OLD bbs  listing.. that are not relevant anymore and I would like to remove them. 

Either that or I move on to a different software, and chock this one up as nice.. but more work than its worth to get working.

James

Do yourself a favor and use FANSI for ANSI editing on the ST.

I absolutely swear by it.  :)

ASCII editing by hand isn't really hard. Any good text editor will do.

VT52 on the other hand, with all those codes, can drive you crazy.

But you can still use a good text editor. That's what I do...

Never used RIP so can't offer any advice there...

3 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

I have contacted the author again..

But the long and short.. if I really want to use this bbs software - then I am going to have to learn GFA basic.  There are also many menus in ANSI, ASCII, RIP etc.. that I need to learn to edit.

THings in menus like the OLD bbs  listing.. that are not relevant anymore and I would like to remove them. 

Either that or I move on to a different software, and chock this one up as nice.. but more work than its worth to get working.

James

Some of these old files, like the old bbs list, might be worth archiving. Perhaps you can post these here. Or take a picture of them and post them in the BBS Images section.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

2 hours ago, JohnPolka said:

Some of these old files, like the old bbs list, might be worth archiving. Perhaps you can post these here. Or take a picture of them and post them in the BBS Images section.

-JP

Sorry John, you misunderstand.. I am talking about the FORMAT of the BBS list.. not whats in it.. it is empty because its a new bbs.. I have not populated.. but they want telephone numbers ratings for files and games, etc.. it is not a freeform list etc.. it is structured. There is also a NEW USER questionaire.. which I would like to do away with completely.

James

Ok... so I'm just going to put it out there.

We need to schedule this... in advance.   We all have crazy schedules... (Ok, Maybe not DarkLord since he's "recovering"?)

Let's pick a time, in the future, that works for all of us and let's get this done.  That's the big thing I've been irked about.  We talk about this... and we have these "I'm in Discord now" except that DarkLord is playing D&D and I'm throwing my SIDE 2 into the wall after bricking it trying to fix TVAG or... well..... stuff... So... there's that.

Let's first set up a time block, then figure out the best meeting format... and put this damn thing down already.

First step... who wants to be in?  I'm assuming from the start... me, DarkLord... I'm supposing BikerBob might show up..... Anyone else?  AMIS?  JP?  I'm all about making this a fun getting to know each other while we help our friend out kinda thing.

And anyone else?  Even if you just want to hang out and learn!  Let's do this the right way!  1) Identify the key participants.  2) Schedule a mutually beneficial time. 3) Figure out the meeting format.  4) Promote it so anyone who wants in can join or look for the recording.  5) Do it, while recording for future reference.

Bring your own beer.  (Because I think the whole shipping alcohol thing probably involves some customs shit and postal regulations we don't want to deal with).

We're going to get your damn BBS running bro...

So to get this started.

Saturday is kinda weird because the new owners are coming by to do the new leases and "expectations from the tenants".

If they object to my "collection" there will probably be... well... police involvement and yeah, all that... but my lawyer will have it cleared up and spring me by the end of the day.

So Sunday?  Are the major players (Bob, DarkLord, me) all Easternish time zone if I recall?  So I'm going to throw out 1pm, this coming Sunday - April 11th, 1pm EDT

I have a Zoom subscription, so I'll just propose that to start off, since we can screen share the PC part of it (since the firewall/port forwarding is probably a big issue it seems).

But this is just the start of the negotiation point... and we can move it to next weekend... I'm free both days as of now.  Discuss/Counteroffer/Etc.

Well I would be good with Zoom.. it would allow me to share my screen ( Running STeem and the GFA source for the BBS)  

I am now more thinking this might be just general fun.. Thats more why I wanted you guys to get on Discord.. just to chat. 

Now as for time.. evenings are always better for me.. espically right now. I am working on getting my sailboat ready for launch, so weekends are pretty locked up for me.. except in the evenings. 

Yes I am Toronto area so EST.

James

Argh, Sunday would be good for me but can we push it back a couple of hours? Say 3pm?

I'm not allowed to cut the grass or use a weedeater (heck, I can't drive for 3 more weeks!)

so my son and my brother are coming over to help with that.

Thanks.

So what time in the evening?  If it's going to be later, we probably need to do it Saturday (the new landlord just messaged me that she wants to come by specifically at 10:30am and said it will only be a few minutes).  Since I work early Monday, Sunday evening probably won't give us enough time (at least before I'd have to drop off).

Also, Bob are you EST or EDT? (Just want to make sure we're not an hour off).

So... does 7pm EDT Saturday work for everyone?

11 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

7pm Saturday will work for me.

It forces me to put my Guild Wars 2 dailies back a bit but

that's not really a problem. :)

Ok... so I guess we just have to hear from BikerBob...

To be honest guys, I really have to work on the mast of my sailboat this evening. Is 9pm too late for people?   what I guess at this point I need to do is get a zoom for fun, but maybe we can share a screen with me running STEEM and we can figure out where in the GFA listing the MODEM setup codes are? and its answer string? aka what its looking for? I think my hardware the UDS and the MSS are fine. 

This weekend.. I would be available later.. 7pm is still light.. and I need to get the work in when I can.  YES.. I am on EDT at the moment. :)  11am right now as I post.

James

If Darklord is good with it, I can probably do 9 but I can't promise how long I'll be able to stay... I tend to not stay up as late as I used to... but sometimes I manage.

Also, if you can PM me your email addresses, I can send the zoom invites.