IGNORED

Myarc HFDC Bug?

9640News

11 hours ago, Ksarul said:

These have been on my buy and test list for a few years now. Too many interesting projects and not enough time. I still have to connect the pair of DREM boards I bought to one of my systems. . .

Yeah, I know what you mean. :-D I've spent quite some time myself during the last 15 months with upgrading my Amiga CDTV, most importantly with the Pistorm accelerator, and also fiddled with a couple of 84 MB Seagate MFM drivees, which hasn't been that successful this far.

Anyway, I look forward to receive and test that emulator - he's going on holiday for a few weeks, but hopefully in a month or two I'm up and running. c",)

24 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Right. Between work, home duties, and my Auto projects, ex: putting a Chevy Avalanche on a Ford Excursion frame, not far from complete, as well as car repair, has kept me busy and broke.

Oh, okay... I know that all too well; I've had the same situation - sort of - for about a decade when I first restored my old Suzuki and then began travelling to the former Soviet Union every single year since, a couple of months each time (until covid-19 effectively put an end to that...)

So these are the cards from David as well? I'll let you know about my experiences with it, once it's been in use for a few weeks or so. I love to push the limits, so I'll experiment a little and see how far I can push it - 16 heads and 2048 cylinders and that sorts of crazy stuff. May not work, but worth trying. :-D

Edited by Brufnus

Although I haven't received the emulator itself yet, I decided to prepare as much as possible on the BeagleBone so that it's ready when the time comes.

Thus, I've installed Debian on it and, when I came home from work this evening, git cloned the mfm software stuff (finally managed to find a link to it during my break).

Now I've complied the mfm stuff and it looks promising already: I've created my first blank image file specifying head and cyl. #, etc  - and it even has the MYARC HFDC as a controller option in it's list! So that one's definitely supported by the software. The HFDC should then be able to format that "drive", once it's attached to the emulator.

I'm giddy as a school boy now, even though I didn't even participate in the Indiana Jones movie! :-D 

Edited by Brufnus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brufnus said:

Now I've complied the mfm stuff and it looks promising already: I've created my first blank image file specifying head and cyl. #, etc  - and it even has the MYARC HFDC as a controller option in it's list! So that one's definitely supported by the software. The HFDC should then be able to format that "drive", once it's attached to the emulator.

That's great that it has the Myarc HFDC in the listing!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It turned out there's a pre-built image with all the MFM stuff on Davids's website; just rather hidden... so I hadn't needed to compile things myself or anything. Learned a few things about Debian (I'm used to Fedora), the beaglebone etc. on the way, though.

Anyway, now David has built my emulator and is about to ship it from the U.S. so in a couple of weeks or so I should be able to give a review of the emulator.  Among other things I'll test some 16 head/2048 cylinder configurations with the HFDC and see how that turns out.

I'll also start archiving all the stuff I possess: a couple of hundred floppies which in turn will be examined and those that might be interesting will be released to the community. E.g. the entire TigerCub collection should be there. 

I don't know exactly which method would be best for such a release, but perhaps by throwing it on a web or ftp server in a .dsk format or something?

Edited by Brufnus
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brufnus said:

It turned out there's a pre-built image with all the MFM stuff on Davids's website; just rather hidden... so I hadn't needed to compile things myself or anything. Learned a few things about Debian (I'm used to Fedora), the beaglebone etc. on the way, though.

Anyway, now David has built my emulator and is about to ship it from the U.S. so in a couple of weeks or so I should be able to give a review of the emulator.  Among other things I'll test some 16 head/2048 cylinder configurations with the HFDC and see how that turns out.

I'll also start archiving all the stuff I possess: a couple of hundred floppies which in turn will be examined and those that might be interesting will be released to the community. E.g. the entire TigerCub collection should be there. 

I don't know exactly which method would be best for such a release, but perhaps by throwing it on a web or ftp server in a .dsk format or something?

I can upload to whtech when you have something just pm me with a link to the file 

also can you point me at that information on the build? I have one of these i need to update 

Edited by arcadeshopper

6 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I can upload to whtech when you have something just pm me with a link to the file 

also can you point me at that information on the build? I have one of these i need to update 

Okay, that's a good idea! whtech is a site people know and, thus, they'll be able to find it easily.

Do you refer to the emulator/beaglebone software image? I can upload it here if you like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 8:56 PM, RickyDean said:

Right. Between work, home duties, and my Auto projects, ex: putting a Chevy Avalanche on a Ford Excursion frame, not far from complete, as well as car repair, has kept me busy and broke.

This is a recent pic of this project. I'll not clutter this thread anymore with this.

20220915_191135.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
forgot dialog.

7 hours ago, RickyDean said:

This is a recent pic of this project. I'll not clutter this thread anymore with this.

20220915_191135.jpg

Whoah, that looks great! I think it's quite alright to talk about other things, too... but I can only speak on my own behalf, of course. :-D

What engine is installed inside it's belly?

Okay folks, now I have some news.

I received the emulator daugher board from David yesterday, made an image of my Rodime 3055 initially, and I've just had it booting off of it, did a dir of the root, and ran the GPL interpreter. For now, everything seems to work absolutely flawlessly! :-D

During the next few days I'll start experimenting with various image sizes. It's so weird booting off a silent "hard drive" on the Geneve. :-D 

Oh, by the way... the lowest seek time is about 0.3 ms... I'd love to see a physical MFM drive do that! 😛 

Edited by Brufnus
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Brufnus said:

Whoah, that looks great! I think it's quite alright to talk about other things, too... but I can only speak on my own behalf, of course. :-D

What engine is installed inside it's belly?

Yeh, but it should be done in the dumping thread, not a topic. But it has a 5.3, but later will sport a Duramax or similar.

In order to go back to the initial topic here:

I've successfully formatted an 8 head, 2048 culinder "drive" with the emulator (using MDM5 V1.5) and having itt boot off of it. I'm now in the process of mirroring my Rodime 3055; then I'll do some testing wirh respect to the reliability with such a big drive (after filling it completely).

Seems to work fine for now, though. :-D 

Never thought I'd see as much as 500k+ sectors with the HFDC... c".)

• Like 3