IGNORED

What formats and codec supported for album videos?

OLD CS1

Question

I found through trial and error the supported playback format was an FLV container with H.264 video and MP3 audio.  Has this changed with the upgrade?  Can we upload larger videos (over 50MB?)  I would love to be able to upload MP4 with H.264 and AAC, which could play back natively in modern browsers without using Flash.

7 answers to this question

The new forum does have better support for videos, but this is something I don't know very much about yet.  I'm not sure if I want large videos stored directly on the AtariAge servers, as they could ultimately take a great amount of space.  Will experiment with this a bit once everything slows down, as well as get answers on what video formats are supported.

..Al

My albums are working again, but I cannot view the videos.  Not, I think, because of anything to do with the forum, but because Flash is so hated.  Firefox will not give me the option to active the plugin so my videos wind up unplayable in my browser, and I suspect others as well.  I will try some test MP4 (h.264/aac) uploads this weekend.

Thanks.  I can delete now.

While I do not have a final answer to the question of what codecs are supported, it does look like it uses the HTML5 video player built into modern browsers.  Specific codec support can be found elsewhere, but the format supported by all major browsers (Edge, IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) is as follows:

MP4 container, h.264 video encoding (MPEG4 Part 10 or avc1) and aac audio (mp4a.)  To play properly in all browsers it must be "web optimized," or in ffmpeg use the option "-movflags faststart", which moves the MOOV atom to the front of of the file.

This command line in ffmpeg will give you the desired results.  You may need to play with certain things like scaling etc. to meet the file size limitations.  YMMV.

ffmpeg -i inputvideo.avi -movflags faststart -c:v libx264 -c:a aac outpuvideo.mp4

Easy peasy.