IGNORED

GONE

hoserama99

OK, I've updated the OP, probably for the last time. Just 3 Airport Extremes left, and a pile of what I'll charitably call "spare parts".

I'll keep this for a few days longer, and then it'll go to Apple recycling in one easy-to-carry trip. Lesson learned: be better about getting rid of older computer stuff I truly don't want when upgrading. ;)

I should redeem my retro cred by saying my office is still stacked with much older computers, so it's not all a ghost town here.

I'm pondering getting rid of a few extra LCs I don't need, and some extra Apple II-era hardware that I somehow wound up with duplicates of (an extra //e, an extra //c Plus, some Monitor ///s, and an ImageWriter). If there's local interest in those, maybe I should start a new giveaway thread. Like the others, I *really* don't want to deal with shipping this stuff.

6 hours ago, hoserama99 said:

I'm pondering getting rid of a few extra LCs I don't need, and some extra Apple II-era hardware that I somehow wound up with duplicates of (an extra //e, an extra //c Plus, some Monitor ///s, and an ImageWriter). If there's local interest in those, maybe I should start a new giveaway thread. Like the others, I *really* don't want to deal with shipping this stuff.

I shouldn't do this because I really can't fit anything more in my apartment, but I almost definitely would be interested in some of that stuff. If any of those LC's have PDS slots, I would take one. And I would *definitely* take the IIc Plus.

34 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

I realize shipping this stuff is a pain, but if you do decide to take the chance, I'd be interested in the IIe.  Is it the original design or Platinum?

It's an original design. I haven't fired it up in a few years, but my recollection is that it is also non-enhanced, e.g. "Apple ][" vs. "Apple //e" on startup.

I think that's why I've kept it all these years, but I could be remembering wrong.

6 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

Cool, I prefer the originals over the Platinums anyway, at least for my "show" set-ups.

Ah, ok. I can spray-paint it metallic green for you!

(Don't hurt me.)

But seriously, I don't know that I want to bother with shipping. I'll give it a think.

Edited by hoserama99

Id take it all but no way to get it from Arizona 

the real lesson is if you bought some boxes and put a little up front in work you could have made a couple grand instead of begging someone to take it from you in a very limited area 

I mean I sold a meh apple IIc to some dude in south Korea on ebay shipped in a diaper box and still made 195 bucks after fees and postage (to kentucky they picked it up from there) took a whole 20 min of my life 

much less time than you whining about shipping and threatening to recycle it all over the last month or so 

Edited by Osgeld

11 hours ago, Osgeld said:

the real lesson is if you bought some boxes and put a little up front in work you could have made a couple grand instead of begging someone to take it from you in a very limited area

This is a good point. I thought I'd touched on this before, but I realize now that I only mentioned it on Twitter. I don't want to directly link to my Twitter account, so let me repost what I wrote there:

"I have had **great** luck giving away my oldish-but-not-too-old Mac stuff via AtariAge. It has felt so good to ditch a lot of this early 2000s stuff that is heavy but not worth much on the open market. I'm down to just 3 Airport Extremes and some broken crap.

The other thing I've realized is that while I could have sold some of this and made a few hundred bucks, it was never going to be worth the hassle of trying to find a way to pack the large stuff up. And I feel genuinely good about giving it away to people who want it.

Now I'm at a new stage. I have lots of Apple II-era bulk that I don't want: Monitor ///s, an extra //e (!!), an ImageWriter and so on. I would feel mighty good giving that stuff away locally, even knowing I could again make a few hundred $$. Charitable? Maybe a bit. Lazy? YES.

I'm for damn sure not going to trust giving this stuff away on Craigslist. I've heard too many stories. Offerup is an option, but I feel like a giveaway with retro enthusiasts via AtariAge counts for a lot in saved hassle.

One of the guys picked up an old iPad pre-Retina. I wasn't sure it still worked, but he told me today it was fine, and he's letting his little toddler use it for YouTube and the like. I can't imagine it being put to a better use. That made me so happy to hear."

tl;dr: I'm definitely lazy and making suboptimal financial decisions, and I'm happy -- thrilled, even -- with the way it's gone so far.

Edited by hoserama99
  • Like 1

She definitely loves the iPad so thank you again! Just got the Cinema Display all cleaned up and it’s gonna serve as a second monitor on my Trash Can when I find the courage to deal with the cable mess behind my desk :P The speakers were a huge upgrade over the built in speakers on my TV and the bass from the subwoofer is awesome! I got the Airport Express serving internet to my PC as it doesn’t have a WiFi card. Not 100% sure what I’m gonna do with the Apple TV might just load it up with movies I own and bring it into work or tinker with it and install Snow Leopard for fun. So thank you again for your generosity. If you do need to rehome some of your vintage Apple gear I’m happy to find a use for them as I’ve been wanting to setup a vintage system to BBS from.

• Like 1