IGNORED

Message Base Archives

JohnPolka

Does anyone have links or files that contain archived BBS messages? If so, post them here. The following is a link to an online message base archive for the Basement BBS. It contains messages from 1988 - 1993. The message bases from the 90s are also accessible on the Basement BBS. The messages from the 80s are from the original BBS Express version of the Basement BBS. Those messages are only available on the website.

http://basementbbs.loginto.me:7000/basement-msgs/index.html

Attached is one of my favorite archived messages. We all take for granted that everyone understands emoticons in online communication. According to the attached archived message, that was not the case in 1992. :) 

-JP

emoticons.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had Fidonet/AtariNet/NeST/RPGNet/etc. archives from back in the 90's... I just wish I had archived more than the last 250-500 messages... :(  Especially the AtariNet and NeST.....

Might get around to making it downloadable in an archive someday..... someday......

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

I had Fidonet/AtariNet/NeST/RPGNet/etc. archives from back in the 90's... I just wish I had archived more than the last 250-500 messages... :(  Especially the AtariNet and NeST.....

Might get around to making it downloadable in an archive someday..... someday......

Storage wasn't as large and cheap as it is today...otherwise, I'm sure we all would have more messages archived. :) 

-JP

This blog post has a couple archived messages and a good list of handles from the Atari scene in the late 80s. I'm sure many of you will see some familiar names and handles here. :) 

https://hoydich.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/death-star-bbs-1987/

I got a kick out of seeing "The Countess!!" listed. She ran "Cobra Command" in the Cleveland 216 area code. It was a hard BBS to get onto. My access didn't last long. She got mad at me when I accidentally called her "The Countless" in the message bases. :)  "The Mighty Atar" ran an incredibly awesome ATASCII-only BBS called "Nuclear Hell" in the Cleveland 216 area code. I'd love to find him and see if he has anything left from his BBS. The ATASCII was amazing and the BBS was custom written and had some cutting edge features like random encounters and terrorism (i.e., user to user pranks). I used to know his real name, but I've forgotten it...otherwise, I might have been able to track him down. :)

-JP

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have one message base recovered. I asked a lot of people to figure out what it is from no one could figure it out, however, I am now confident it was a FoReM xl message base. I looked at it in a text editor, clearly there isn’t any ground breaking messages in there but I would like to recover it. 

I thought I had an extracted copy somewhere on my bbs pc but I can’t find it so when I get a chance I will put the floppy in and extract it and post it here. To see if anyone can extract the messages in a readable form. 

-Craig 

8 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I have one message base recovered. I asked a lot of people to figure out what it is from no one could figure it out, however, I am now confident it was a FoReM xl message base. I looked at it in a text editor, clearly there isn’t any ground breaking messages in there but I would like to recover it. 

I thought I had an extracted copy somewhere on my bbs pc but I can’t find it so when I get a chance I will put the floppy in and extract it and post it here. To see if anyone can extract the messages in a readable form. 

-Craig 

Didn't AMIS give you a copy of FoReM XL?  If so, why not install the BBS and see if it can read that message base file?

Looking at old messages is like opening up a time capsule. When I recovered a bunch of old message bases, I was a little embarassed by how young, dumb, and immature some of my posts were. But then again, I was in high school so it was par for the course! :)

I have recovered message bases from the late 80s and early 90s on the Basement and Part-Time BBSs. You can also see some of them online at the following link:

http://basementbbs.ddns.net:7000/basement-msgs/index.html

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

Amis is working on getting a copy of xl on southern amis. When I get a copy of it I will see what I can extract. 

However, I believe his is the Corvus hard drive version so I don’t know exactly what all was changed as far as disk I/o on that version. So I don’t if I will Be able to get it to read the file. But I’ll give it a shot. 

I know I tried it with that copy of PhoReM I recovered from My download disks but it required basic xe. Didn’t have one of those so I tried it with Altirra and it didn’t really work.  Maybe now that I have an ultimate cart I will revisit PhoReM as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2019 at 11:51 PM, JohnPolka said:

This blog post has a couple archived messages and a good list of handles from the Atari scene in the late 80s. I'm sure many of you will see some familiar names and handles here. :) 

https://hoydich.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/death-star-bbs-1987/

I got a kick out of seeing "The Countess!!" listed. She ran "Cobra Command" in the Cleveland 216 area code. It was a hard BBS to get onto. My access didn't last long. She got mad at me when I accidentally called her "The Countless" in the message bases. :)  "The Mighty Atar" ran an incredibly awesome ATASCII-only BBS called "Nuclear Hell" in the Cleveland 216 area code. I'd love to find him and see if he has anything left from his BBS. The ATASCII was amazing and the BBS was custom written and had some cutting edge features like random encounters and terrorism (i.e., user to user pranks). I used to know his real name, but I've forgotten it...otherwise, I might have been able to track him down. :)

-JP

I'm glad this found its way around a bit more than the blog - Mike (Overlord, his blog bost) and I (Freddie) ran Death Star (I also ran Elm Street).

So fun seeing some of this old stuff again (got a great kick out of seeing my old handle on the logoff screen of Alcatraz yesterday!)

Pretty sure all the source is long-gone (I modified the heck out of a lot of BBS programs back then) but don't think I uploaded them anywhere.. but one thing that did make the rounds was a "dialer" (to find phreaking codes) that I wrote.. I have no idea what I called it, but most likely it would have had "Freddie" on the title screen and possibly UFP and/or Death Star.. if that triggers a memory for anyone as to where it can be found, let me know!

On 3/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, Schadret said:

I'm glad this found its way around a bit more than the blog - Mike (Overlord, his blog bost) and I (Freddie) ran Death Star (I also ran Elm Street).

So fun seeing some of this old stuff again (got a great kick out of seeing my old handle on the logoff screen of Alcatraz yesterday!)

Pretty sure all the source is long-gone (I modified the heck out of a lot of BBS programs back then) but don't think I uploaded them anywhere.. but one thing that did make the rounds was a "dialer" (to find phreaking codes) that I wrote.. I have no idea what I called it, but most likely it would have had "Freddie" on the title screen and possibly UFP and/or Death Star.. if that triggers a memory for anyone as to where it can be found, let me know!

Welcome!  And thanks for reminding me of my almost three year old post about that blog post.  I mentioned in my post that I was trying to track down "The Mighty Atar". I think it was some time last year that his real name may have suddenly come to me. I emailed UFP alum Damian (who made the log off screen on Alcatraz) and he suspected that the name I came up with is either correct or certainly someone that was involved back in the day.  I found them on Facebook, but they have yet to respond to my message.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka