IGNORED

Pyramid of Doom ][

Shift838

so after tossing around ideas and scenarios for my next adventure as well as discussing it with Scott Adams.  I have gained approval to code sequels to his Adventure series.

The first on my list is as the title states:  Pyramid of Doom ][

SHIFT838 Adventure #3: Pyramid of Doom ][ - This is an Adventure that will transport you to a dangerous land of crumbling ruins of the lost Inca 'Pyramid of Doom'.  Find your way through the pyramid to reveal its secrets and collect the treasures.  Difficulty will be : Moderate

There may be a guardian of the Pyramid in as well, just depends on the amount of memory i use up with the rooms and other things.

Also as usual, there will be an Easter Egg in the adventure for a room you have to figure out how to get to.  There will be clues you must piece together to figure it out.

POD2Logo.png

• Like 11

Excellent! I presume you mean to use the Adventure cartridge and Adventure Editor?

I think the last time I tried to put together an adventure on it (a "Prisoner" one), I quickly found my imagination outstripped the 12K of memory available.

I've considered at times that it would be fun to write a new text adventure engine that could utilize the full 32K RAM and disk system of the TI, so that a larger more opulent adventure could be written. Granted, Infocom adventures ARE the best, but there is something nice about the simpler two-word text adventures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adamantyr said:

Excellent! I presume you mean to use the Adventure cartridge and Adventure Editor?

I think the last time I tried to put together an adventure on it (a "Prisoner" one), I quickly found my imagination outstripped the 12K of memory available.

I've considered at times that it would be fun to write a new text adventure engine that could utilize the full 32K RAM and disk system of the TI, so that a larger more opulent adventure could be written. Granted, Infocom adventures ARE the best, but there is something nice about the simpler two-word text adventures.

now you have me thinking if I need to go ahead and learn the Z-code to use for the infocom interpreter for this new adventure.  It would allow me to be more creative for the game.  I will need to make a very small game and see if I can compile it and get it to work on the TI before I go down that path though.  I can look into it, but most likely i will still stick with the adventure cartridge using the APL as I already know it.

Edited by Shift838

16 hours ago, Shift838 said:

so after tossing around ideas and scenarios for my next adventure as well as discussing it with Scott Adams.  I have gained approval to code sequels to his Adventure series.

The first on my list is as the title states:  Pyramid of Doom ][

SHIFT838 Adventure #3: Pyramid of Doom ][ - This is an Adventure that will transport you to a dangerous land of crumbling ruins of the lost Inca 'Pyramid of Doom'.  Find your way through the pyramid to reveal its secrets and collect the treasures.  Difficulty will be : Moderate

There may be a guardian of the Pyramid in as well, just depends on the amount of memory i use up with the rooms and other things.

Also as usual, there will be an Easter Egg in the adventure for a room you have to figure out how to get to.  There will be clues you must piece together to figure it out.

POD2Logo.png

This must be a Lost Pyramid of the Inca, because it's a model of the Temple of Inscriptions, Palenque, deep in Maya territory.

:)

15 hours ago, Shift838 said:

now you have me thinking if I need to go ahead and learn the Z-code to use for the infocom interpreter for this new adventure.  It would allow me to be more creative for the game.  I will need to make a very small game and see if I can compile it and get it to work on the TI before I go down that path though.  I can look into it, but most likely i will still stick with the adventure cartridge using the APL as I already know it.

for my two cents, i'd love to see some more games that use the Adventure module.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

What about PHM3189 - Return to pirates Isle - I liked that, and think even with TI's limited (compared to today's standards) graphics capability if used right (with a story line) could be enhancing.

Was there a particular engine associated with that game, or was it a one off?

3 hours ago, dhe said:

What about PHM3189 - Return to pirates Isle - I liked that, and think even with TI's limited (compared to today's standards) graphics capability if used right (with a story line) could be enhancing.

Was there a particular engine associated with that game, or was it a one off?

That was a one off as far as I know.  the only ones I have been authorized to do is the ones to be used with the Adventure Module.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So, I have decided to move from Adventure Cartridge APL for these Scott Adams sequels as I have limited space and I thought I could fit it in, but as everyone knows when you start programming something, things change.  Now I know I will not have enough space to be able to program Pyramid of Doom II in APL.

So, over the last few days I have started to learn IIF language used for Infocom games as it gives me more space to be able to use and allows me to add more granular programming to accomplish other tasks.

This also opens the door to be able to offer these adventures on about 30 different retro systems.

I have tested it out with my original Adventure #1 "The Locked Room", and it took me a fraction of the time to program it, even while learning the new language.  I'll be posting a link to it on my site soon.

• Like 6