IGNORED

Two items I'm missing having

1) When searching you used to be able to specify a '+' before a word to ensure it was within the same post, e.g. "alternate +reality"
Additionally, the search now recommends to use "alternate AND reality" instead but when you do this, the results highlight the word 'and' so I'm not sure if this is working properly?

2) Post headings no longer include the post number, e.g. "#6", and so this makes it harder (other than embedding a link) to make a simple reference in a subsequent post.

(Spanish Inquisition) 3) the old forum defaulted quick searches to the context, e.g. forum / thread. The default is now "search in.. Everywhere" and so keeps having to be selected. 

Edited by Wrathchild

22 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

1) When searching you used to be able to specify a '+' before a word to ensure it was within the same post, e.g. "alternate +reality"
Additionally, the search now recommends to use "alternate AND reality" instead but when you do this, the results highlight the word 'and' so I'm not sure if this is working properly?

The default is to AND search terms together, which ensures all terms will be in the returned results. At least that's how it should work. You should not need to do that yourself. I haven't done too much testing yet with search results since the search index finished rebuilding. 

If you're not getting the results you're expecting, please let me know what you're looking for and I can investigate. It's important to me that searching works well (this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine). 

2) Post headings no longer include the post number, e.g. "#6", and so this makes it harder (other than embedding a link) to make a simple reference in a subsequent post.

This was intentionally removed as post numbers are not absolute and can change, such as when posts are removed from a thread. Although that's not too common. It's best to refer to posts by using a direct link to the post. 

3) the old forum defaulted quick searches to the context, e.g. forum / thread. The default is now "search in.. Everywhere" and so keeps having to be selected. 

I'm sure this was an intentional change as well, probably because they assume when people are doing a new search they want to search the entire forum. I know that's usually the case for me. I don't think it's necessarily bad that you have to intentionally narrow down the search scope if that's what you need. 

..Al

• Thanks 1