IGNORED

Detecting Pause State

bhall408

Quick question...

Is it possible to detect the "Paused" state of a running game?

ie, perhaps some fixed location that reflects that state?

Or is that purely up to the app to handle, and there wouldn't be a universal way to detect it?

(asking for some enhanced emulator features that could be done if it can be reliably/universally detected)

That was the answer I was expecting ;-)

In which case I may just track which games implemented pause button as meta-data, similar to tracking rotation and stereo.

(I find it irritating to have a pause button present when it doesn't do anything)

7 hours ago, bhall408 said:

(I find it irritating to have a pause button present when it doesn't do anything)

You clearly haven't worked on other HW or SW platforms that do this kind of sh*t to developer.

If you ever had to implement a working Alt-Tab solution on DirectX < 9, on a full game with thousands of textures, vertex and index buffers, list of which is not a simple load-time array, but varies heavily from frame-to-frame (depending on what happens in game as you can't simply fit all assets to memory) and would have to spend days hunting for literally one asset from thousands that slipped away (nasty copy&paste bug), you would instead thank Atari they didn't go down this route and force their nonsense on developer.

It's a button. Just go implement whatever you want this button to do. Hell, I would argue that many complex games would make a better use of this button for actual gameplay feature, rather than a pause.