IGNORED

Early articles on Atari BBSs

JohnPolka

I ran across this early article on Atari BBSs in the May 1983 (Volume 2, Number 2) issue of Antic. Does anyone recognize any of the BBSs listed? I think many of us have seen the AMIS BBS software. What about the other software mentioned (i.e., ARMUDIC, TART-BOARD, and Atari Bulletin Board System)? Are there any earlier articles on Atari BBSs out there?

-JP

I remember modifying AMIS back in the day (hell, who didn't).  I seem to remember being able to modify mine to have multiple message bases (stock AMIS had only one).

For a gradeschool kid, this was a huge deal.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to actually run a BBS since my parents wouldn't let me have my own phone line, wouldn't let me use the family line at night... that kinda put the stopper on that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tillek said:

I remember modifying AMIS back in the day (hell, who didn't).  I seem to remember being able to modify mine to have multiple message bases (stock AMIS had only one).

For a gradeschool kid, this was a huge deal.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to actually run a BBS since my parents wouldn't let me have my own phone line, wouldn't let me use the family line at night... that kinda put the stopper on that.

I ran MPP AMIS when I first put my BBS up in November 1986. I think my copy already had been modified to support more than one message base. I also remember someone added an ML routine that prevented users from entering swear words on the BBS. :)  I only used it for three months then I upgraded to a 1200 baud modem and original BBS Express! I first ran the BBS on the only phone line at our house during certain hours. Later in 1987, I got a dedicated phone line for the BBS. I delivered newspapers and worked part-time at a restaurant to pay for the phone line. :) 

-JP

• 1 year later...

@ JohnPolka:

Not sure about *earlier* articles but Stephen J. Cardens' "Inside the 8Bit" BBS (and him) appeared in

Atari User Magazine, Issue #23, page 16. There were a couple of other BBS related articles in this

particular issue as well.

And... The DarkForce BBS appeared in Atari User Magazine, Issue #24, volume 2, page 24.

I have both issues...   :)

PS I also have those issues in PDF format. Wonder if they're okay to upload?

Edited by DarkLord
Additional info...

I haven’t read the article yet. (Going for my 1st covid shot now so maybe I will Have some time ) but.....

the Easton, pa number I am pretty sure was the ABE’s ACE’s user group bbs. And the allentown, pa number I think was The Warehouse Bbs (mark bray was the sysop).  No. I haven’t reached out to him yet.