IGNORED

HSC16 Round 12: Frogger II:Threedeep

FROGGER II:THREEDEEP

image.gif.6a88a5bfd47c42edb6c24d566def3bd7.gif

image.gif.4b0f33c548ebd467f218d07e99d9ce1d.gifimage.gif.5c342cfb94835be282f86b47583d6b1f.gif

One of my favourite games, the multi stage frogger! Get hopping and grab those super bonuses to boost your scores. Extra features on each level and progressive difficulty make this a winner.

Fandal XEX

Atarimania has lots of info (also has a Canadian version!)

atarihq.com has the 5200 manual and archive.org has the A8 manual

Brief guide: Amass bonuses for the bubbles on the first stage. To get to the 2nd screen you hop to the top of the first screen logs (not in the berths) to get to the 3rd screen hop onto the mother duckers back. Save some of the first screen berths for when you are short of time as you can fall back to here. Try and get all the pads on the 2nd stage for the super bonus. Post #19 has lots more info

Have fun, I will, and I bet you'll all be singing that theme tune from now on ;)

HOP ON, JOIN IN, FALL OFF!

Round NOW ends TUESDAY 30th July 10am UK time

No bonus game this time but we'll have a theme round next time with a set of games.

How about a couple of bonus challenges:

1. Highest score on level 1 in 1 man

2. Lowest score on level 1 in 1 man BUT you must do the first screen berths, then the second screen boat berth and finally the cloud screen one, maybe the lilly pad glitch can be used to an advantage here I was pondering about this one but I think it will be ok despite the waiting around !!

• Like 2

As great as this game is, there are definitely some collision detection issues.  On the 2nd screen, if you hop across the lily pads too quickly, sometimes, they won't disappear.  On the first screen, sometimes you'll grab a bubble but it will go right through you and not count.  Minor annoyances, though.

For the first time I managed to do a giant bounce and shoot my froggy self right into the cloud berth!

OK how about a couple of bonus challenges (I'll add this to the first post)

2. Lowest score on level 1 in 1 man BUT you must do the first screen berths, then the second screen boat berth and finally the cloud screen one, maybe the lilly pad glitch can be used to an advantage here I was pondering about this one but I think it will be ok despite the waiting around !!

49 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

For the first time I managed to do a giant bounce and shoot my froggy self right into the cloud berth!

OK how about a couple of bonus challenges (I'll add this to the first post)

Never managed that before. I did however manage to collect two bonus lives from the stalk on the clouds screen (1 life each from two stalks) on my last go and so at one point had 7 lives in the bank!

It's irritating that there seems to be no pause key in this game

• Like 1

Ok, I read the manual and it says that at 10K points, the stork appears on the sky level.  If you grab the stork you get an extra frog.  But I went to the sky level at both 10K and 20K and the stork did not appear.

I've seen the stork before, but does anyone know when it really appears?  What triggers it, or is it just random?

8 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Ok, I read the manual and it says that at 10K points, the stork appears on the sky level.  If you grab the stork you get an extra frog.  But I went to the sky level at both 10K and 20K and the stork did not appear.

I've seen the stork before, but does anyone know when it really appears?  What triggers it, or is it just random?

I sometimes visit the cloud screen, even if I've filled the births on that screen, just in case the stalk is there. I've never read the instructions so I had assumed it was completely random.

Some F23D info from previous HSC rounds:

atariksi: "One more hint: In the cloud screen, you can bounce of the dragon if you hit the white part on the top of the dragon; otherwise, it kills you if you touch a single pixel of him. "

balleyalley: I'm glad that we did this fun challenge, as I learned when the stork appears with the bonus frog (free man). It's because I was able to get this free frog each game that I was able to reach this score.

trbb: So there's a funny thing... Frogger II:Threedeep a game I know and love and have played a lot... I drop some point grabbing hints; ballyalley explores... I double take on the last line and then fire it up to confirm... so I've been wondering why you sometimes get a 10K etc tune and no extra life... turns out I've never collected the little frog from the stork! I've been avoiding everything that moves and assumed it was a baddie! and this explains why sometimes mother ducker treads water instead of patrolling her offspring.

trbb: Yes, the turtle is definately useful mode of transport, on higher levels the current is too strong for lill' old frogger...

I played one final go, seemed to be a stork at 10k, 20k and 40k but the duck didn't tread water this time - maybe she was stuck in the middle of the ducks before but I'm sure she seemed to be waiting to indicate that I should jump on her (for the stork)...

----------------------------------------------------------

not that we take our games seriously or anything :D

Also added some links to the manuals,the 5200 manual is best,  worth a good read for the eel pun alone. I didn't know this:

"He pays a certain price for it, though, because for each butterfly he gobbles, a hole opens (or widens) in the cloud -- a hole that Frogger might fall through! "

nor this:

"There are nine levels in all. "

A couple of us reached level 7 last time! Can we get a bit further? Probably not ?