IGNORED

Proper Game Gear Power UP?

Everett1954

Hi,  I just picked up a Game Gear without any cartridges. Should I see anything on power up? Splash screen?

With Fresh batteries, the power light come on along with backlight for a couple seconds then goes out.

I turned up the contrast  but nothing.

Does it need a cartridge plugged in to display anything?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Everett1954 said:

Hi,  I just picked up a Game Gear without any cartridges. Should I see anything on power up? Splash screen?

With Fresh batteries, the power light come on along with backlight for a couple seconds then goes out.

I turned up the contrast  but nothing.

Does it need a cartridge plugged in to display anything?

Thanks

Yes, you need a cartridge to display anything.  Keep in mind, most game gears that you will find have bad capacitors, and will have display and/or audio problems.  They can usually be repaired with a $7-$10 capacitor replacement kit, but you won't know if it works until you get a game to test.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 1:06 PM, Everett1954 said:

I got two cartridges and it appears to work..what is the McWill update and where can i get more info about it?

Everett

On Google, which is where I got this link. ;)

https://www.retromodding.com/products/mcwills-sega-game-gear-lcd-upgrade

FWIW, that seems to be the going price, and it requires some soldering. But it's better than spending $300 for a McWill-modded GG on eBay. 

Console5 also sells McWill kits as well for the same price. Installing these kits is another matter completely. Installation into a Lynx II isn't too bad, but installation on a GameGear treads into more advanced territory. Several SMD parts have to be removed, and some replaced along with pretty tiny points to solder the wires to on the game gear itself.

• 4 weeks later...